Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #51
100% Evil.
Gift Guru

Mama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talent

Default Re: Got bad virus from webkinz insider

Wow, just opening this particular thread to read, I have gotten TWO popups! YIKES
I have a pop up blocker, antivirus, firewall and everything. Very strange indeed. I've never gotten a pop up on this site before. I closed them so quickly I didn't even look to see what it was for. But if it happnes again, I'll let ya know where it's coming from.
Mama Girl NH is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #52
loony9083
Webkinz :)

momluvswebkinz2 has a reputation beyond reputemomluvswebkinz2 has a reputation beyond reputemomluvswebkinz2 has a reputation beyond reputemomluvswebkinz2 has a reputation beyond reputemomluvswebkinz2 has a reputation beyond reputemomluvswebkinz2 has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by webkinzmasta32
WOW thats amazing i have of heard of computer viruses that stay on your system , but this is unheard of . i sugguest you switch to Windows Vista it's a bit more secure, but XP is compatible with more computer programs .

I was on WI lastnight, I went to send a personal message to a friend. When I clicked on send a personal message on the users page, my system completely shut down and rebooted (running XP Pro w/IE7 with AVG7.5 and all updates). When it came back up, the system was badly infected, AVG (anti-virus software) would not function. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.5 was also disabled. I tried to go back to a restore point, but those programs were still unavailable after selecting a restore (this virus infects the restore point. After, the system would still boot to the desktop but was littered with trogan virus types downloaders. I could not get into AVG or SB even in safe mode! I had to download new versions of AVG8.0 and SB1.6 from another system onto CDs, and then install from the CDs. Luckily, I was able to re-install these products (very slowly). Even after multiple runs of these products now, the system remained somewhat infected as they are self replicating. As mentioned, the restore point was also infected. It will probably require a full deletion of all restore points to clean it out! I have a high level of technical expertise with the Windows XP and operating systems and I believe Webkinz Insider has a serious issue here. It is possible this viral attack is Flash related (from within one of the ads), but since it came from just clicking on "Send a Personal Message" - on a users page I believe the PHP code for this site might be corrupted and or infected. It took over 5 hours of straight work, to get the system clean. Multiple runs of AVG & SB, the a full deletion of all restore points. Finally, the attack will place a file in your c:\windows\system32 directory called: KARNA.DAT. This file needs to be deleted, but you cannot. You cannot delete it in the DOS console, or even in safe mode. If you rename it, it will come back. This file is a component of the virus and must be deleted. The only way I could delete it was to use a Windows XP Pro, full installation CD. You boot from the CD and select the Recovery Console (you must know the Admin password to do this). The Recovery Console is the last true vestage of DOS. Once you are in the console you can move to that directory and delete the file.
sorry, but i can't read any of your posts. the yellow against the blue background really makes it hard to see. don't know if anyone else has said anything before but i would really like to see what you write. thanks
momluvswebkinz2 is offline Female
Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #53
rleong

Justin has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by Maeffy
Some of the post above seem to be being a bit TOO defensive about WI.. NO one is saying WI or Justen (et al) is fishing or putting harmful or sneaky files on the site... just that it is a possibility that they are there anyways.. this can happen w/ all the image files & stuff added to pages.
With 10's of thousands of visitors to WI every day, if only one or two members are having an issue, it's a virtual impossibility that it is coming from WI. If there were hundreds of reports, then this problem could be traced to WI.

View Post Originally Posted by Mama Girl NH
Wow, just opening this particular thread to read, I have gotten TWO popups! YIKES
I have a pop up blocker, antivirus, firewall and everything. Very strange indeed. I've never gotten a pop up on this site before.
Try updating your antivirus software and run a spyware scanner. Your computer is likely infected as we don't have pop-up or pop-under advertisements anywhere on WI.
Justin is offline Male
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #54
TwilightGirlz2
Gift Guru

kinzgirl2 is a jewel in the roughkinzgirl2 is a jewel in the rough

View Post Originally Posted by Justin
With 10's of thousands of visitors to WI every day, if only one or two members are having an issue, it's a virtual impossibility that it is coming from WI. If there were hundreds of reports, then this problem could be traced to WI.

Try updating your antivirus software and run a spyware scanner. Your computer is likely infected as we don't have pop-up or pop-under advertisements anywhere on WI.
Sorry Justin, but I just got 2 pop ups in a row and its only coming from this site. I will post screencaps I took in just a minute.
kinzgirl2 is offline Female
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #55
Gifted

bratzsasha will become famous soon enough

I'm curious, how did you determine that this was definitely from WI? There is no infection in any of our PHP code, nor in any of the ad scripts.... It is possible that you were infected previously.

KARNA.DAT is related to Adware.VirtuMonde, which is an adware program that downloads and displays popup advertisements. (If you are seeing popups on WI, we don't use them, so that's a sign you're infected) It's actually a very old virus, dating back to 2003.
Hi Justin...I did not think virus (being computor challenged....) But I have noticed since the additions of all the extras added due to our sister (support site ) ...I have had more problems with being booted off...and others on WI than WW....I thought (silly me) that it was all the new adds..I do not know..just telling it like it is even though I do not understand it... ps new computer and 2 others...all same issues
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #56
100% Evil.
Gift Guru

Mama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talent

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go look for updates and run some additional virus/spy ware scans to see what I can find. I am sure that I've picked something up along the way of my internet discoveries. LOL Guess someone "sneezed" on my computer. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #57
TwilightGirlz2
Gift Guru

kinzgirl2 is a jewel in the roughkinzgirl2 is a jewel in the rough

View Post Originally Posted by kinzgirl2
Sorry Justin, but I just got 2 pop ups in a row and its only coming from this site. I will post screencaps I took in just a minute.
Here is pics. Also this is the first site I went to this morning. As soon as I got into forum the popups started.

Click the image to open in full size.

This on when I went to quote Justin

and this one was from the other day
kinzgirl2 is offline Female
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #58
rleong

View Post Originally Posted by kinzgirl2
Again, if this were coming from WI, hundreds, if not thousands of people would be seeing them.

The top one is an expandable ad from the top 728x90. It will open up if you put your mouse over it. That Virgin ad is disconnected from any ad unit on our site and I can't explain it, but neither are pop-ups.
Justin is offline Male
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #59
100% Evil.
Gift Guru

I received that shawn the sheep advertisement pop up, also... the second one I received was for some sort of game site, but I do not recall what it was.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #60
rleong

View Post Originally Posted by bratzsasha
Hi Justin...I did not think virus (being computor challenged....) But I have noticed since the additions of all the extras added due to our sister (support site ) ...I have had more problems with being booted off...and others on WI than WW....I thought (silly me) that it was all the new adds..I do not know..just telling it like it is even though I do not understand it... ps new computer and 2 others...all same issues
Additions of extras due to our sister support site? I am not sure I understand it? There have been no new ad units added to WI in a very long time...?
Justin is offline Male
Closed