Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Gift Guru

Mynoey is sweet stuff
Mynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuff

Default Glitch Reporting Info

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. Not sure but I figured, better I put it in the wrong place than put it nowhere.

I'm so happy that WI is helping Ganz with glitch reports. From playing other games, I've seen just how helpful having players report glitches can be.

So far, I think WI is off to a great start. There's already some fixes done that I think got done because WI tracked, verified, and reported them. The hard work on the part of the players and staff is definitely helping!

But, since I have debugged code in other languages, and I'm pretty familiar with the info requested on glitch requests in other Flash games, I'd like to suggest including a format that may help any tech checking the glitch related threads to pinpoint the possible areas where the problem may be occurring.

Sometimes being able to find a trend in occurrences on particular servers, browsers or flash versions can save a lot of time. Other times, knowing what was done before, during and after (including any work around to bypass the glitch) gives a clearer idea of what happened and, possibly, why. Overall, the more info a tech has to work with, the better.

So I wanted to suggest a format that would give that additional info and, if the "powers that be" would be interested in seeing it, offer to design a sample.

JMO, but our Ganz programmers have a lot on their plates. Even if only part of our community is capable of submitting full or partial info, it may help make their jobs a little easier.

Just throwing the idea out there for consideration and letting you know, if you want to see it, just ask and I'll get to work.

Last edited by Mynoey; 11-15-2009 at 12:01 AM..
Mynoey is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Whooo hooo
Gift Guru

Tula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: Glitch Reporting Info

I think that is a great idea, I am just not sure that the youngest of players that report glitches would know how to report in such detail...but detail is always good!!
Tula is offline Female
Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
FIA
FluffyInAlabama
Gift Guru

FIA has disabled reputation

Quote:
So I wanted to suggest a format that would give that additional info and, if the "powers that be" would be interested in seeing it, offer to design a sample.
What's the format you wanted to suggest?
FIA is offline Female
Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Gift Guru

Mynoey is sweet stuff
Mynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuff

I wouldn't expect our youngest members to be able to do it, Tula. They're already very computer literate for their ages; they don't need to be techies yet.

But a lot of us are computer literate enough to do it now and we could help anyone who wanted to find the info they needed with a few simple instructions. I'd hope that would be enough to make up for the info the youngest can't supply.

After all, we're a WI family...part of what we do is try to make things easier and better for our younger members.

An added plus...some of the things submitted as glitches are user issues. Knowing more may make it easier for anyone who wants to help the person get past the problem and back to playing happily.

View Post Originally Posted by FIA
What's the format you wanted to suggest?
Taking that as a go ahead. It's already past 12:30am here. I can have it ready by tomorrow night, FIA. Do you want it posted here or send to you?

Last edited by Mynoey; 11-15-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Mynoey is offline Female
Old 11-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
SmilesRContagious
Wiki SysOp

canonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicness
canonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicness

It would be very good to see your idea.

I hope that more detailed reporting will help BUT I think there are priorities that have nothing to do with our reporting though

I will point out that...a glitch I am VERY familiar with has not been corrected although it is for ALL members and we can even say when it started.

Members who have called Ganz have been told that this glitch is not occurring for everyone. REALLY?? Only WI members then??

Back to the positive. Please let us know if there is more information we can provide that will make our WW game more fun
Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
AmericanBaronin
Gifted

KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!

Interesting and possibly helpful in games but I am not seeing the application elsewhere even though other things in ww run off flash -- in my cash the major issue I have been teching for a couple of months now is the VTC/TC codes {virtual trading card packs, trading card codes, related issues} -- and just me personally I have been on different accounts with verified different servers on different OSes, different browsers {I have about a dozen just on the XP, not counting all the different ones on the other MS versions and/or the MacS which are running 3 different versions plus diff browsers and flash as well as the diff versions of flash in the Windows ones}. Will get this subscribed, though, so I can read what you come up with on the games side and all; never know what 'spills' over in different ways of course.
KeyLargo is offline Female
Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Gift Guru

Mynoey is sweet stuff

View Post Originally Posted by canonymous
I hope that more detailed reporting will help BUT I think there are priorities that have nothing to do with our reporting though
Definitely. And they're the type of priorities that result in a lot of substandard coding that only meets the Ganz "anything goes" TOS. But the fact remains that Ganz programmers are a little better than most of what we see. If they weren't, they wouldn't have been able to meet the minimum functionality requirements of a Disney event contract. The "priorities" were changed for that one.

Best case scenario I can hope for...if we give them more info, maybe a few of the people who are capable of fixing something will be able to shave off enough minutes from the Ganz top priorities and actually fix something. Worst case scenario...we might be able to help those amongst us who are really having user end issues a lot more than the Ganz CS reps do.

This is the long version. It can be weeded down as needed.

Glitch: (Freeze, Incomplete Screen Loading, Missing or Blue Box Graphic, etc)
Glitch Location: (Room, Activity, Dock, Area, etc)

Your last activity before the glitch: (ex: Just logged in, playing <activity name>, etc)

What happened during the glitch:

What happened after the glitch:

Screenshot: (if possible)
Did you have to log out and back in?
Did you clear your cache?
Did you close and restart your browser?
Did you restart your computer?

Did the glitch happen again?

Account type: (Asian, European, American)
Operating System:
Brower Name and Version:
Flash Version:
Server Number:

Any Additional Comments: (ex: This happens on just one of my accounts. This started happening after the update on <date>. I've tried multiple browsers/computers/ISPs and nothing helps.)

Oh...Key Largo? I've read a lot of your posts. Just want to say I think you're a saint. A head banging, debugging, techie saint. Now, if we could just get the Ganz door codes, we could sneak you in and that total TC disaster might actually get fixed.
Mynoey is offline Female
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
AmericanBaronin
Gifted

KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!KeyLargo is not just visiting!

[QUOTE=Mynoey;17155056]If they weren't, they wouldn't have been able to meet the minimum functionality requirements of a Disney event contract. The "priorities" were changed for that one.

What is minimum functionality requirements of a Disney event online? {Just curious, nothing much to do with anything LOL}

Did notice I forgot to mention -- also has been on all accounts, re Asian, European, American, deluxe, standard, and all hours of the day and night {so all zone peak and non-peak times}. In other words they've ticked a tech totally off. Top that off with a non-Canadian {sounded American} so my accent {Texas/Mississippi} wasn't throwing them off {too badly anyway} and 4 ways of explaining the same thing and they just don't 'get' it {or don't want to}.

I've been called an angel a lot; depending on what they were talking about depended on which 'side' {kind o*** angel I was supposed to be....

Skip the door codes; get me and you and a couple more some computer/server access -- not that I am great at coding but I have a...knack...for seeing what doesn't look 'right'. Example: multiple calls {I was ever so 'lucky' to get most and find out about them all, total} about seemingly ID10T Errors, it's in their computers/browsers/ISP...but multiple browsers, OSes, versions...ad nauseum yada yada...made the main Geek get me a link to the hub routing -- just because the calls were so spaced out across the country, seemingly -- turned out to be a call to the major geeks {engineering peeps}, to reboot a main server/hub area, they were all routing through a problem area that no one white paper-ed as a problem {because, of course, it's always their computers or their browsers or their something, never the actual site or whatever is it? LOL} While I'm in there I'd like a look at their 'books'; degrees and certificates in accounting and related areas {plus computers and all}, I'd really like a whack at straightening that mess up.

Did you catch the thread I wrote about A Couple {Hundred} Ideas for WW/Ganz?
KeyLargo is offline Female
Old 11-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
SmilesRContagious
Wiki SysOp

canonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicness
canonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicnesscanonymous is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by Mynoey
This is the long version. It can be weeded down as needed.

Glitch: (Freeze, Incomplete Screen Loading, Missing or Blue Box Graphic, etc)
Glitch Location: (Room, Activity, Dock, Area, etc)

Your last activity before the glitch: (ex: Just logged in, playing <activity name>, etc)

What happened during the glitch:

What happened after the glitch:

Screenshot: (if possible)
Did you have to log out and back in?
Did you clear your cache?
Did you close and restart your browser?
Did you restart your computer?

Did the glitch happen again?

Account type: (Asian, European, American)
Operating System:
Brower Name and Version:
Flash Version:
Server Number:

Any Additional Comments: (ex: This happens on just one of my accounts. This started happening after the update on <date>. I've tried multiple browsers/computers/ISPs and nothing helps.)
Thank you. Our glitch is easy to report.
It's happening to everyone all the time.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Gift Guru

Mynoey is sweet stuff

View Post Originally Posted by canonymous
Thank you. Our glitch is easy to report.
It's happening to everyone all the time.
I hear your frustration, Canonymous. I share it. Unfortunately, when a company makes a practice of dumping additional layers of buggy, untested, code on top of previous layers, they build a landfill of GIGO. With each added layer, the time required to dig down to find the root cause of a specific problem increases. And I think a lot of us have developed opinions about where paying someone to spend their time doing that rates on the Ganz priority list.

So...since I am working very hard at maintaining a postive attitude, I am focusing on something that, at least, might help keep the top layers a little more "clean fill" and less GIGO. Working from the premise that someone at Ganz is supposed to be checking the supporting threads for glitch reports, the logical assumption (as much as I hate making assumptions) is that person is someone who is capable of understanding and applying what they're reading. If they are allowed the time to correct smaller, new problems, then there's one less time consuming layer of problems to make the digging to correct the old ones more time consuming and, hence, less economically appealing.

But as I said...this is just a suggestion. If WI management doesn't think it would be helpful...that's fine.
Mynoey is offline Female
Closed