Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
♥YOU should smile♥
Gift Guru

b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness
b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Get rid of reps!

when i joined, rep was only given as a special treat, like "wow i really, really liked that post, you made a great point, here's a rep point," and now it seems to be more for "lol that was funny" or "hey thanks for posting" or even just randomly given out, so a new member making 10,000 posts gets a lot more reputation than an old member who had made 10,000 posts before giving reputation was widespread. that's true and sometimes i do think it's kind of strange to see someone with like 1,000 posts who already has like two badges because *cranky old man rant* i still operate on the "old WI" way of thinking where someone with 1,000 posts would have maybe, maybe like five green bars and that's it.

however, i don't really think it's a huge deal, and even if it was, i'm too lazy to play "catch-up," haha.

but still i think the rep system is more organized than if you got a VM or a PM from someone every time they thought one of your posts was cool or funny. at this point it doesn't seem to be representative of how helpful a person is, but rather how much they post and in which sections of the forum. and that's okay! it's still a neat little incentive to post more often, and it's nice when someone leaves a kind message with a rep point.
b1uski3sxox is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Gifted

powerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all things
powerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all thingspowerpokmon is a champion of all things

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
I have to disagree with you. I feel that in a world where kindness is so often overlooked, rep is some way of showing appreciation for someone being kind. It's a positive thing that is so often not awarded in real life. I like coming here and being able to reward kindess to the sometimes quiet but very helpful people here.
It has nothing to do with popularity. I always look for those people who have been helpful, or lightened up someone's day, given great advice, put a smile on someone's face, prayed for someone, or whatever good thing they've done.. some kind of positive reinforcement.
Like I said.. that's not awarded enough in the real world, and I appreciate it here, and I think it promotes kindness. What could be wrong with that?

I am sorry that your new year has started off in a tough way. I hope things get better for you very soon!
I have to agree with Desty. I have gotten reps about my good work on the projects I do here. Others include messages of agreement about a post I have made. The rep system promotes kindness and can lightened up your day if you're having a bad one.
powerpokmon is offline Male
Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
send help
Webkinz :)

webkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glory
webkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glory

Might I just add that it's also most likely easier to get reputation now, than it was back in say 2008 or so.

Most of what I'll be saying is simply just speculation, however my idea does seem to fit quite well so please bear with me.
My theory for rep is that the more rep you have, the more rep you give the person. So, back in 2008, when people had just one bronze badge at most, it was a lot harder to spread rep around because the person giving it had less.
However now that people have multiple gold and silver badges, it takes a lot fewer reputations to earn a member a new green bar.

Of course, what I'm spewing could be utter nonsense, as I am in no way staff on this website. Though, there is slight evidence to prove this. For those that knew Kellie (Mom W Charm) you'd know that she had a ton of reputation. Whenever she repped me, I was almost certain to get a new bar. Occasionally I got two at a time, and in one case I was given 4 (I had one green badge and then afterwards I had 5). However when other members, with less reputation than Kellie blessed me with a rep, I only sometimes was given a new bar.
The only difference? Kellie had more rep than the others.
Meaning, the more you have, the more you can give.

So that's probably why reputation seems to be spreading faster than it did in 2008, it's because most of us have a lot more now.

Personally, I really like the reputation system. It's always fun to see that you've been awarded with a new bar or badge every once 'n a while. And I don't really see why it matters if a person with less posts then you had one more badge than you. It's not really a competition, but more so just a fun way for people to show their appreciation of others.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #14

squeaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zero
squeaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zero

I love giving reps. It is so much quicker to dash a short rep note than VM or PM. I have never taken the time to figure out the stars & bars system (I've look at the FAQ, but didn't commit to memory), but I love getting reps too. It helps me figure out what kinds of posts I should keep on with and which ones people don't really respond to. I hope they don't take the rep system away.

View Post Originally Posted by webkinz login
For those that knew Kellie (Mom W Charm) you'd know that she had a ton of reputation. Whenever she repped me, I was almost certain to get a new bar. Occasionally I got two at a time, and in one case I was given 4 (I had one green badge and then afterwards I had 5). However when other members, with less reputation than Kellie blessed me with a rep, I only sometimes was given a new bar.
The only difference? Kellie had more rep than the others.
Meaning, the more you have, the more you can give.
Does rep from some members carry more weight? I had no idea! I looked at the rep info in the FAQ again and it doesn't mention anything about that.

Last edited by squeaky; 01-02-2015 at 11:47 PM..
Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #15
send help

webkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glory
webkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glorywebkinz login is on the edge of glory

View Post Originally Posted by squeaky
Does rep from some members carry more weight? I had no idea! I looked at the rep info in the FAQ again and it doesn't mention anything about that.
Well, like I said, it's all just a giant guess. I mean, I believe it to be true, and it does fit with some of the things I've seen.

Back when I first joined and asked about how reps worked all I ever got was "Only Justin knows ;):):):) ". Which I guess still holds true today. We'll probably never know unless Justin, Wendy or Kevin tells us, hah.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #16

ryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicness
ryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicnessryhill is epic beyond epicness

I love giving reps. It is so much quicker to dash a short rep note than VM or PM. I have never taken the time to figure out the stars & bars system (I've look at the FAQ, but didn't commit to memory), but I love getting reps too. It helps me figure out what kinds of posts I should keep on with and which ones people don't really respond to. I hope they don't take the rep system away.

hi friend,

I didn't know rep was controversial or what it does or not do. I don't pay attention to rep (whatever is important about it).

I just come here for the latest news and tips for WW.

So, I will never never again give out rep.

I say """""Don't sweat the small stuff"""""

Last edited by ryhill; 01-03-2015 at 08:37 AM..
ryhill is offline Female
Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
lorib64
Gift Guru

lorib64 knows no boundslorib64 knows no bounds
lorib64 knows no boundslorib64 knows no boundslorib64 knows no boundslorib64 knows no boundslorib64 knows no boundslorib64 knows no bounds

I would think rep would increase with how much you post and how helpful your posts are. I am rarely here, so I can't expect to have as much rep as someone who is very active and helpful. I like rep. It is a nice way to say "thank you"
lorib64 is offline Female
Old 01-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
Clap Ya Hands-G1C

Atomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicness
Atomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicness

When I reped you, Squeaky I gave you 1 more green bar!

Well, like I said, it's all just a giant guess. I mean, I believe it to be true, and it does fit with some of the things I've seen.

Back when I first joined and asked about how reps worked all I ever got was "Only Justin knows ". Which I guess still holds true today. We'll probably never know unless Justin, Wendy or Kevin tells us, hah.
When I give you rep Webkinz Login, to test your theory your bar went up 1.
Atomton is offline Male
Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #19

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

Back when I first joined and asked about how reps worked all I ever got was "Only Justin knows ". Which I guess still holds true today. We'll probably never know unless Justin, Wendy or Kevin tells us, hah.
That's because we actually don't know & don't have access to the reputation system's settings. It is very likely that increased reputation = increased reputation power (i.e your reputation has more influence). But we don't know the answer, and to be honest the discussion and 'figuring out' of the reputation system creates a negative environment around it (becomes more focused on reputation amount vs. the act of saying a quiet 'thank you').

The reputation in itself is pretty neutral. The issues you all are discussing are constructed by us -- i.e the members on the website -- who place a social ideal on the system. The system can be used as a way to simply say a quiet 'thanks', but it can also be used as a popularity system, system of power, etc. That all depends on how we treat it, and how we decide to construct it. Being aware of that is important.

That all being said -- I will remind everyone that we ask members not discuss the reputation system because of this very reason (the issues you have mentioned). I'll leave this thread open for now, but if it sways too far into the system itself and trying to 'figure it all out' to earn more badges, bars, etc. I (or another staff member) will close it.

The system itself functions as it is intended, a way for members to leave private messages or acknowledge messages they find profound for whatever reason. How members choose to use that system is up to the community. You have a large influence on that system.
MissGnomie is offline Female
Old 01-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #20

squeaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zero
squeaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zerosqueaky divides by zero

View Post Originally Posted by ryhill
I didn't know rep was controversial or what it does or not do. I don't pay attention to rep (whatever is important about it).

I just come here for the latest news and tips for WW.

So, I will never never again give out rep.
I'm not going to change my habits. I will continue to use it to communicate "thank you" and "amen, brother/sister, I agree with that!".
I will check mine to see what posts people find most helpful, so I can continue to post in that vein.
I think: just follow your instincts, ryhill, and use it when you feel it is deserved.
Closed

Tags
be true!, dftba, fish fashionistas, googles always prevail, kupo!, sayeth what?!?!?, you are loved ♥