Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

StLouiscutie184 is a genius through and through
StLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and through

Lightbulb Get rid of reps!

I have been noticing quite a lot lately on all the different reputations people have, and then I look at how long they've been a member. Don't get me wrong, it was a cute idea, however, I think it's sending the wrong message. On a previous thread of mine, Dancer made a great point that got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerchick914

People that are newer to the forum earn reputation VERY MUCH faster and more easily than those who have been a part of the WI community for a number of years. I've been on WI since 2007, and I know that there are members that have been on WI less than a year that far surpass me in reputation.

I also believe that some of the best members of this forum don't have much reputation. These days rep on WI feels more like a popularity contest than something given to a person when truly deserved.
I can agree what she said 100%. I really do feel as if that reps are more towards "popularity" rather than "good job, good work" etc. Since it's emphasized so much that Webkinz and Webkinz Insider is towards the children population, what is the rep system exactly teaching them? As Dancer mentioned, there are many helpful and awesome members on WI who have little to no reputation. However, some of the newer members (some who make posts just to post) have higher rankings than some of the most helpful members, and with that being said, how is that fair? How is that a teaching concept?

I remember back when I joined WI didn't have this rep system, and to be honest, I'm not sure as to why they incorporated it as well. I really do think there should be a better system in regards to letting people know they're doing an awesome job and etc.

And no, I'm not jealous of people being higher ranking than me, so don't bother mentioning that idea because it's not that. I think reps are more of a popularity thing now, and I don't think that is a concept children should be learning, but that's just my opinion....
StLouiscutie184 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Clap Ya Hands-G1C

Atomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicness
Atomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Get rid of reps!

I agree, I only have this high in rank because of nice people who gave it to me for playing with them, or for helping them out on threads. Mom W Charm gave me most of my rank. I love helping and playing others, but I don't consider myself popular, or I just don't let it come out as rude or unneccesary behavior. And I do not post to post, so I take that as an insult. I have almost 10,000 posts for a reson, and even though I joined in 2014 March, I can still be a valuable member. I try to give out reps, but sometimes I just forget, and really other than mom w charm (in the past) and moo and comet and marna, no one really givers me reps all that ofter either.
Atomton is offline Male
Old 01-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
penguinxmas

penguinxmas is an unparalleled talent
penguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talentpenguinxmas is an unparalleled talent

I kinda get what you're saying. But I'm also kinda on the fence with this one. Yeah, reps aren't doing much to help WI, but are they really doing much to hurt it, either? Reps don't grant anyone special privileges or anything, so it's not like anyone is being mistreated. Personally, I don't pay much attention to how many reps someone has. But I do like the rep system itself because it allows me to drop a little note to someone without sending a PM or posting it on the thread. (I especially saw this on your "Bring Back Gifting" thread-- after posting some controversial opinions, I got reps from members that hadn't posted on the thread, saying that they agreed. In that circumstance, I really liked the rep system because I felt that myself and others had an easy, private way to acknowledge each other's opinions, without risking being called out.)

I agree that the rep system is flawed and is not always an accurate portrayal of someone's activity on the forums. However, I think that taking it away simply wouldn't do much.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty much indifferent on this one.
penguinxmas is offline Female
Old 01-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

StLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and throughStLouiscutie184 is a genius through and through

View Post Originally Posted by penguinxmas
I kinda get what you're saying. But I'm also kinda on the fence with this one. Yeah, reps aren't doing much to help WI, but are they really doing much to hurt it, either? Reps don't grant anyone special privileges or anything, so it's not like anyone is being mistreated. Personally, I don't pay much attention to how many reps someone has. But I do like the rep system itself because it allows me to drop a little note to someone without sending a PM or posting it on the thread. (I especially saw this on your "Bring Back Gifting" thread-- after posting some controversial opinions, I got reps from members that hadn't posted on the thread, saying that they agreed. In that circumstance, I really liked the rep system because I felt that myself and others had an easy, private way to acknowledge each other's opinions, without risking being called out.)

I agree that the rep system is flawed and is not always an accurate portrayal of someone's activity on the forums. However, I think that taking it away simply wouldn't do much.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty much indifferent on this one.
Actually I like what you said as well (bolded it) and I can agree with it too.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
~|∙

catsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicness
catsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicnesscatsareawesome2 is epic beyond epicness

I agree that it seems like a popularity contest. However, I do like reps anyway. They make you look more colorful when you post something, like a Boy Scout flashing off his badge sash. They are something you should be proud of, because you did earn it.

Even though it may seem like a popularity contest sometimes, remember that Webkinz Insider is just for fun. And those who are concerned that they aren't as "popular" or "important" as others, then let me tell ya something. I have learned that the more you post insightful things, funny things, or reassuring things toward others, you will receive more reps. Now, this doesn't mean every single nice message you post will receive 200 billion reps from everybody, but you should be nice anyway.

Another thing about reps: I like giving them out. It's the same feeling I get when I give my cat a pile of treats. I know they're going to appreciate it, which makes it so much funner giving them out. And in the song game threads or the "What Song Are You Listening To?" thread, if I see a song I like that someone else posted, I will most definitely give them a rep for it. Sometimes those reps will help you connect with other players.

Anyway, I say keep the reps. And if some players on this site want more reps to seem more 'popular', then we shouldn't be bothered by it. If they want the reps, they'll have to earn them. But the true people on this site who are popular are the ones who always hang out here and have friends. That's what popularity is, not how many reps an individual has.
catsareawesome2 is offline Female
Old 01-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

But can you get reps with what people give you along with how many posts you have? No offense Atomton, I wasn't saying you were one of the members who post just for the heck of it, but there have been members who I have seen do it before (none recently).
Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
•| ❣️ ѕoх ❣️ |•

luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness
luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness

I actually like the reps but I do get what you're saying. I've seen members who haven't even been on WI for a year have a silver badge already and I'm just thinking "how?" But if you don't like your rep you're able to disable it at any time . I love giving reps out (even though that option has been revoked for me and it's been months and NO clue when I'm ever getting it back) anyways, I think we should keep the reps. Because they don't really seem to be hurting anyone/anything except the people trying to see how much they can get in a day. It does give some color since WI isn't that colorful to begin with so I think it adds a nice touch. Like someone said the system is flawed, but really what system isn't flawed?
luvzfrogs is offline Female
Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies everyone! Guess I had to rant a little because I'm starting the year on a not so great foot! But I'm glad that people can understand and see where I'm coming from!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

cbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truth
cbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truth

Actually the rep system has been in place longer than you have been a member. It isn't a new feature, it just isn't one that some folks take note of.

If reps bother you, you can always turn yours off. Under your User CP, click edit options. Uncheck Show Reputation Level.
cbjhockey is offline Female
Old 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #10

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

I have to disagree with you. I feel that in a world where kindness is so often overlooked, rep is some way of showing appreciation for someone being kind. It's a positive thing that is so often not awarded in real life. I like coming here and being able to reward kindess to the sometimes quiet but very helpful people here.
It has nothing to do with popularity. I always look for those people who have been helpful, or lightened up someone's day, given great advice, put a smile on someone's face, prayed for someone, or whatever good thing they've done.. some kind of positive reinforcement.
Like I said.. that's not awarded enough in the real world, and I appreciate it here, and I think it promotes kindness. What could be wrong with that?

I am sorry that your new year has started off in a tough way. I hope things get better for you very soon!

Last edited by Desty; 01-02-2015 at 03:33 PM..
Desty is offline Female
Closed

Tags
be true!, dftba, fish fashionistas, googles always prevail, kupo!, sayeth what?!?!?, you are loved ♥