Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Jesus thinks I'm
Gifted

iluvwebkinz27 is just really niceiluvwebkinz27 is just really nice

Default The difference between constructive critisism and rude comments....

Hey everyone! I want to talk about something I've seen quite a bit and seen everywhere but, especialy in the art forums. People post rude coments and people post constructive critisism. Knowing the differece between the two should help you know when to report something and how to be a better person.

For an example here, let's say someone drew a cat. Here are two comments

Comment 1: No offence but I think it looks nothing like a cat. It looks more like an ugly blob.

Comment 2: I think it looks good! But the eyes are a bit big. Next time try to make them a little smaller.

Now, which one is the one that needs reporting?
Click the spoiler to find out!

Spoiler: show

If you said comment 2(which I hope not) you need to look(or read) again.
If you said coment 1, horray for you! You already know the difference.

Here's the reason why:

People who post rude comments usually try to make it look like constructive critisism by masking it with 'No offence' or ' Sorry, but,"
But constructive critisism always tells someone in a polite way what they think needs work.

Construtive critisism helps people improve their skills, whereas rude comments make people think they are terrible at art/writing ect. and need to give up.

No one needs to feel that way!

Put yourself in this person's shoes and ask yourself:

What would they like to hear?

Do they want to hear how they can improve?

OR

Do they want to hear how terrible they are?

Here's another example,on the same cat drawing as mentioned above, and this one is tricky:

Comment 3: I think if you made the eyes smaller it would look alot more like a cat than a demented bird!

Commet 4: It looks okay. I think you need to make the eyes smaller.

Spoiler: show

The rude comment is comment 3.

So here are some things to remember:

1: Constructive critisism helps people
2: Rude comments usually include "No offence" or "Sorry, but,"
3: There are people with feelings behind those computer screens.
4: Put youself in their shoes and ask what they want to hear
5: Report any rude/extremly rude comments and let the mods and/or admins handle it.
6: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!
7: You should always try to find something good about the picture/story/idea ect.(see post #14 for an example)
8: 'No offence' or "Sorry, but," rarely takes away the offence.

Merry Christmas and have a safe holiday season!

Last edited by iluvwebkinz27; 01-02-2009 at 11:20 PM..
iluvwebkinz27 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
WhiteTerrierFan

Default Re: Difference between constructive critisism and rude comments

I agree, I see this way too much. I'm not exactly sure why some people think that "No offense" takes away all the offense in a comment. It truly doesn't, and actually makes it worse sometimes. If people can't say something nice, they shouldn't speak at all. Constructive criticism is perfectly fine, but there is no need to be mean about it.
REP for you!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Jesus thinks I'm
Gifted

Exactly! Mabey I should have added that to my list. You know I think I will!
And as for the rep you didn't have to!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
WhiteTerrierFan

View Post Originally Posted by iluvwebkinz27
Exactly! Mabey I should have added that to my list. You know I think I will!
And as for the rep you didn't have to!
You deserve the rep though! I always give rep to those who make a difference on the site! (:
-Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
oohoo I'm a
Gift Guru

jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!jessicabarnhart is headed for the top!

I am so glad you posted this. I to have been seeing this stuff, every where on here. And it really disgusts me. People try there best and some rude ill mannered person comes along and acts like a jerk. It makes me not want to post ANYTHING for fear of this kind of stuff happening. I think people do tend to forget that it is REAL people posting stuff, with REAL feelings!
jessicabarnhart is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Webkinz :)

bromsisa is a name known to allbromsisa is a name known to allbromsisa is a name known to all

Constructive critism is hugely different from a rude/offensive comment. And I would also like to say that saying 'no offense, but' doen't take away the fact that it is in fact offensive.

It is like saying no offense but you are the rudest person I have ever met...and please don't take this the wrong way but you also lack class and tact and have zero fashion sense.

Well adding the no offense and please don't take this the wrong way, does not change any facts that have been presented the above sentence. The message is clear.

Please keep this in mind when giving what you may feel is contructive critism, whenit is a far cry from it. If a person can figure out how to convey their feelings constructively than do not post.

oops I should have read the smaller print my eyes aren't that great lately...anyway you already commented on what I wrote as an example. Sorry.

Last edited by bromsisa; 12-23-2008 at 01:28 PM..
bromsisa is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Hebrews 6:19
Gifted

i love summer knows the way
i love summer knows the wayi love summer knows the way

What a great guide!
Rep for you!
i love summer is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
funmonkey12345
Gift Trainee

funmonkey12345 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for addressing this
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Jesus thinks I'm
Gifted

Default Re: The difference between constructive critisism and rude comments....

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Gift Guru

vanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talent

Default Re: The difference between constructive critisism and rude comments....

Thanks for making this guide. "no offense" doesn't seem to take away all of the offense ... same for "sorry, but..."

I really appriciate constructive critisism, but rude comments are just too much. Rep point
vanvan20 is offline Female
Closed