Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Webkinz :)
luv2writeNS has disabled reputation

Default Clear Thread Titles & How to Write Them

I constantly see people titling their threads 'my idea' or 'i think this should happen.' Thread titles should be reflect the content. State your idea clearly in the title.

To avoid the mods having to edit your title into something reflective, come up with a great one yourself. =3

So, let's say you want to make a photoshop thread, as an example.

Originally Posted by :)
A Good Title Should.....
  • Reflect the contents. Meaning, it should tell a little of what you're trying to say and what it's about.
  • Be easy for the search feature to pick up. The word photoshop will attract people who want a Photoshop guide. 'My Guide' doesn't give them any notification it's about Photoshop, does it?
  • Be spelled correctly. If you typed pohtoshop, it won't get any search results, regardless on whether the person can read it or not. (Obviously if you don't know how to spell a word this can't be helped, but if you just rush and have a bunch of typos, it'll be harder to pick it up.)
  • Be simple. Fancy characters like ♥, ]}, * or multiple !!!!!! (it makes you sound like you're yelling) for example should be used sparingly. They shouldn't get in the way of what you're trying to say, especially for guides and important info.
  • Shouldn't beg. Which is more attractive?:

'My Photoshop Guide.' orrr.... 'My Photoshop Guide. PLEASE READ RATE, AND COMMENT! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!' (I know you won't be that dramatic, but still. xD)

To attract more people to your guide, why not list the perks? Like so: 'My Photoshop Guide--animation, transparency, stock signatures and more!'

• Have upper and lowercase letters. No need to yell, use your indoor voice. x3
  • Separates items with a comma if it has more than one 'idea.' For example, if you had ideas for the travel agency in Webkinz, you'd list them either like this 'Webkinz Travel Agency Ideas! New destinations, an airplane room, and more!' or just group them all together as 'Travel Agency Ideas.'
Thanks for reading. =3

Last edited by luv2writeNS; 12-27-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

jennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talentjennymang has lots of talent

Default Re: Clear Thread Titles & How to Write Them

Well, I sort of agree and disagree.
If you state your idea in the title, sometimes people just read the idea in the title and go away without actually clicking it.
On the other hand, yes. My Photoshop Guide--animation, transparency, stock signatures and more!' is a much more attractive title than 'PLEASE CLICK OR ELSE YOU'RE BAD!'.
Yepper doodles, people like proper grammar/punctuation in threads, but sometimes people don't know how to spell a word (rarely happens to me but when I do, I use the spell checker. ).
I think it's okay if people have threads that are titled "My Idea", just not "popcorn!" or something random.
Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!
Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!

Thank you for posting the suggestion!
However, I do disagree.
While it is nice to state clearly what you're talking about in your title, you shouldn't have to.
If you have a thread with an idea you could title it "My Idea."
Sure you have to click on it to see the idea, but it technically isn't off topic or anything.
It is their idea after all, right?

Plus, you need to remember WI has members of all age groups.
Some younger members (or any member!) might find "My Idea" and appropriate thread title.
Because after all it is their idea.

Thank you for posting this suggestion though!
Its a really great suggestion.
Blythe is offline Female
Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness
MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness

Agreed.
I think some people purposely leave titles vague to attract more attention.
Like, if you had an eStore question, and just titled it "Quest about ___ in eStore", and somebody didn't know anything about eStore, they probably wouldn't even bother reading it. But instead, they'll just put something like "How do you get....", so that you have to actually open the post before you know the question.
I also see this happens a lot in the suggestions. Instead of being like "Capuchin Monkey Webkinz!", they'll be like "I have a great suggestion...".
So yes, make your titles specific, so that more people who know about your topic can find it and post.
MeWuvKitties is offline Female
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
luv2writeNS has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by Blythe
Thank you for posting the suggestion!
However, I do disagree.
While it is nice to state clearly what you're talking about in your title, you shouldn't have to.
If you have a thread with an idea you could title it "My Idea."
Sure you have to click on it to see the idea, but it technically isn't off topic or anything.
It is their idea after all, right?

Plus, you need to remember WI has members of all age groups.
Some younger members (or any member!) might find "My Idea" and appropriate thread title.
Because after all it is their idea.

Thank you for posting this suggestion though!
Its a really great suggestion.
Well even though it is their idea, mods still edit the titles, especially for ideas.

Although it isn't technically incorrect, if the mods feel they need to edit it, why don't we just make it better in the first place?

Although I do see your point with younger members---That's true.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #6

Priceless has disabled reputation

Well that's what the mods are here for - to help out others whether it be a reported post or a vague title; so technically if you think an idea is good, but it isn't, they will fix it if they find it.
Priceless is offline Male
Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
hi

tigerdove is a WIzard
tigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzard

I completely agree with you. I really dislike it when people title threads saying things like this, for an example: "Do you like this?" or "Are you a fan of ___?" The reason this gets on my nerves a bit is because I don't even know what the person is talking about in the thread title, but then in their post they will put the actual words. Example: Thread title would be "Do you love this show..." and in their post they would say "Do you love Adventure Time?" without really providing much detail about the subject. I then often don't know what they're talking about, and I don't waste my time to look up something I might not like at all. If they would make the thread title about the subject, however, and then provide details about the subject in their post, then it might encourage others to find out more about the subject if they don't already know about it. I think your suggestion is great, and I completely agree with what you're saying.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
I luvz U!

Webberlily has disabled reputation

Sorry but while it's always a good idea to use a clear title, you can't tell people how to write.

In the open forum, there is only one area with a Rule about a clear title, and that's the Ideas for Ganz sub-forum.

Elsewhere, members are free to make titles any way they please. An unclear title carries its own consequence of fewer views and is less likely to come up in Searches.
Webberlily is offline Female
Closed

Tags
tigerdove is here