Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!


Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #41
Gift Guru
 
Galfam's Avatar
Galfam has disabled reputation

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

View Post Originally Posted by WillowT
We just want more variety.
Here's an example,
Say, you eat some mac & cheese one day. Would you want to eat the same thing for days, weeks, or even months?
That's when you want variety.
See my point?
Just to add to your point--
In my siggie I have a font with bunnies. I don't have to give credit to the maker.

Great idea!
Galfam is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #42
Webkinz :)
RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!RexfordButchBD is not just visiting!

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

1) This isn't really needed. The fonts you write with are not a huge deal for this forum. Posting is the point.
2) Some fonts could be too big, and illegible.

Those are my only issues with it. Otherwise I'd have no problem with it, but honestly it's not my favorite idea, i'd rather stick to the fonts given.
RexfordButchBD is offline Female
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #43
webkinz_forever
Guest

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

View Post Originally Posted by WillowT
We just want more variety.
Here's an example,
Say, you eat some mac & cheese one day. Would you want to eat the same thing for days, weeks, or even months?
That's when you want variety.
See my point?
I actually eat pasta 5 days a week and I'm fine with it.
But anyway;; that's off topic.
We might want variety, but can we not stick to fonts which are on every computer? Here are some web safe fonts. If you want to use one of them, just type its name in the font tag. Problem solved.
What we don't want is WI getting in legal trouble because a font has been uploaded to the site that shouldn't have been. We also don't want WI's servers slowing down because there are hundreds of font files clogging up the space.
Do you get what I mean?

View Post Originally Posted by galfam
Just to add to your point--
In my siggie I have a font with bunnies. I don't have to give credit to the maker.

Great idea!
Chances are that font was free, and that it said it was totally fine to not give credit for personal use.
However, if you're uploading the actual font file (say, verdana.ttf) then anyone can download it. Many font artists would not like this because they like to have people download their font where they can analyze statistics - how many people have downloaded it, when they've downloaded it, and the like.
It's totally fine if you don't give credit on a rendered graphic, as long as the author is okay with it. But whether the font is free or not, it's really not smart to upload it.

Last edited by webkinz_forever; 03-11-2010 at 12:29 AM..
Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #44
Webkinz eat
Webkinz :)
 
WillowT's Avatar
WillowT has a reputation beyond reputeWillowT has a reputation beyond reputeWillowT has a reputation beyond reputeWillowT has a reputation beyond reputeWillowT has a reputation beyond reputeWillowT has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

View Post Originally Posted by webkinz_forever
I actually eat pasta 5 days a week and I'm fine with it.
But anyway;; that's off topic.
We might want variety, but can we not stick to fonts which are on every computer? Here are some web safe fonts. If you want to use one of them, just type its name in the font tag. Problem solved.
What we don't want is WI getting in legal trouble because a font has been uploaded to the site that shouldn't have been. We also don't want WI's servers slowing down because there are hundreds of font files clogging up the space.
Do you get what I mean?


Chances are that font was free, and that it said it was totally fine to not give credit for personal use.
However, if you're uploading the actual font file (say, verdana.ttf) then anyone can download it. Many font artists would not like this because they like to have people download their font where they can analyze statistics - how many people have downloaded it, when they've downloaded it, and the like.
It's totally fine if you don't give credit on a rendered graphic, as long as the author is okay with it. But whether the font is free or not, it's really not smart to upload it.
No one said we had to have hundreds of fonts.
We could just have a few more.
Like, 5 or 6 more.
I honestly don't think 5 or 6 fonts is going to slow the server down very much at all.
WillowT is offline Female
Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #45
webkinz_forever
Guest

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

From what I heard, I thought that you meant that the users would be uploading their /own/ fonts, which were located on their computer. Lack of understanding on my part, I assume.
Adding a few more fonts and changing the vB default code to use @font-face would probably work, if you ask me. However, Justin seems wary of code edits. :/
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #46
Webkinz :)
 
Penny Lane's Avatar

Penny Lane is a genius through and through
Penny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and throughPenny Lane is a genius through and through

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

awesome idea!
Penny Lane is offline
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #47
HomieWHONKâ„¢ the
Gift Guru
 
Dogluver620's Avatar
Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

That's a wonderful idea!!

The thing is, different computers "see" different fonts. In order to see a font, you have to have it installed on your computer or it has to be a universal font, like Times New Roman, Verdana, Tahoma, etc.

So even if you used very fancy fonts, not everyone would be able to see them. This is a great idea though, if you're okay with that!
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #48
SuchGreatHeights.
Banned
PaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clownPaperBlossom is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

I don't this this would be a good idea.
I mean, if a certain font isn't downloaded on someone's computer,they can't see it.
WI would have to host something that's not really necessary.
PaperBlossom is offline Female
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #49
rleong
 
Justin's Avatar
Justin has disabled reputation

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

View Post Originally Posted by Scenealicious
I asked this on the DCT earlier and Cocoabean said it was a good idea, so is this possible?
Like, where it says User CP it could say Change Sig, Avvie, and then Change font! You can upload the font from your computer and then use it around the forums. I think this would be cool, if Justin can do it.
It isn't possible. Web fonts are built-in to your browser and are limited to the ones you see in the editor.
Justin is offline Male
Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #50
webkinz_forever
Guest

Default Re: Being Able to Upload your own font to WI, and using it?

Thank you, Justin!
Closed

Tags
willow pilloww, yours+yourstruly * ave

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Kopi Enterprises, LLC
WebkinzInsider.Com is not an official site of, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Ganz, Inc, Webkinz, Lil'Kinz, or Kinzville Newz and all character names, logos, and images are trademarks owned by Ganz, Inc.
no new posts