Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
I'm finally a
Webkinz :)

gatorgirlchamps is a jewel in the roughgatorgirlchamps is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Am I making this rule up? I thought I've seen it here before.

View Post Originally Posted by luvwebbies
I don't think it's a formal WI rule---not sure, didn't check--but I do recall having read several (older) threads on the subject of text speak--most of people on those past threads agreed with us: It's the pits!

I'm guessing it's a generational thing, though: I've loosely observed that the youngest members are most comfortable using text speak, probably because they are more used to it. Teens don't seem to use it as much, and adults hardly ever use it at all.

Personally, though, I would feel funny asking someone not to text speak, if that's their preferred way of communicating on the Internet.....I think everyone has to express themselves the way they feel most comfortable......But if we put this to a vote, , I'm definitely in favor of spelled out words, and complete sentences.
I'm a teen and me and my friends type that way.

---------- gatorgirlchamps added 2 Minutes and 18 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by lulu
I agree. I usually use formal English when typing. I am VERY, very annoyed when people type lyk dis. I cannot understand that. I'm sorry.
Wow..I sometimes I use "r u going 2 the pool?" or something but I don't ever go "r u gng 2 pool?" or anything.

Last edited by gatorgirlchamps; 07-07-2008 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
gatorgirlchamps is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
lakeviewlatina
Gift Trainee
lakeviewlatina is an unknown quantity at this point

As a teacher it pains me to see "there" "their" and "they're" used improperly! If people could just do that, I would be overjoyed! By the way, in the original post, I think you meant "spell check", not "spell heck". 8P
Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
ntaspnkasu

ntaspnkasu is on a distinguished road

My daughter who is not quite a teen NEVER uses text speak, even in texting. She writes in complete sentences even on her phone. I hope she never loses that! Every once in awhile, I'll throw in a "btw" or "idk", but usually I write things out too. It does bother me when everything is shortened, but I mostly just don't notice it.
ntaspnkasu is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
littlepugs5359

littlepugs5359 is an unknown quantity at this point

View Post Originally Posted by Amanda ♥
Even though I always text and go on AIM, I don't like it here. I find that as spam. I cringe when people post like this --

hey r u goin 2 the game 2day????? i am!!!!
I totally agree Amanda. I am always on AIM, or texting my friends or something where I'm using slang, but I hate to do it on Webkinz Forums! I always use punctuation, capital letters, full words and complete sentences. Doesn't mean I don't like slang, but I don't like to use it outside of AIM and text messages. I like to be mature, something about it just appeals to me. I am a removed, but when I tell people that(On webkinz forums) they say they thought I was older because of how I post, and act. Some people might not like that, but I do. Although it is stated in the rules, and most people do not want it in the forums, we will probably not be able to eliminate it completely. It just is natural to some people, and unfortunately, there is not much we can do to change that...

Last edited by COWS4YOU; 07-07-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: removed age and changed font color
littlepugs5359 is offline Male
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
CheetahGirl1209
WebkinLover1209 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I agree comepletely! I mean, you can throw in a 'btw' or something like that every once in a while- I do ever so often. But I mean, come on people! I know somebody who speaks to everyone in complete chatspeak. I can't even read it. The sentences are just like:
0 i c. dat n0t g00d. i g2g cya l8r.
It's very annoying! My older sister is 19 and when she texts it's full sentences, rarely chatspeak.

Last edited by WebkinLover1209; 07-07-2008 at 10:48 AM..
WebkinLover1209 is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Dude, where's my
Gift Guru

ksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledgeksoccer28 flows towards the sea of knowledge

I have a large vocabulary, and I love to write, so no matter what, I always use proper grammer UNLESS I am typing with one hand. On AIM I sometimes use abbreviations but sometimes I don't. I agree with you. It is also very annoying what people use text/talk in roleplays because some of us take roleplaying very seriously.
ksoccer28 is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
I'm finally a

gatorgirlchamps is a jewel in the roughgatorgirlchamps is a jewel in the rough

View Post Originally Posted by WebkinLover1209
Oh I agree comepletely! I mean, you can throw in a 'btw' or something like that every once in a while- I do ever so often. But I mean, come on people! I know somebody who speaks to everyone in complete chatspeak. I can't even read it. The sentences are just like:
0 i c. dat n0t g00d. i g2g cya l8r.
It's very annoying! My older sister is 19 and when she texts it's full sentences, rarely chatspeak.
I can't even understand that sentence..except 4 the g2g cya l8r. I understand that but what's the other?
gatorgirlchamps is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
bballkid8296
Gifted

rockinsince96 has a spectacular aura about

I will only do that at classic ones like- lol, btw,ttyl,cya............

i seriously have sent 600 messages in a day! i agreeish but its not a rule
rockinsince96 is offline Male
Old 07-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Tecytoc2142

im srry but i have a limited comp time so i usually have 2 txt talk bcause it takes me 2 long 2 type a message.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #20
CheetahGirl1209
WebkinLover1209 is an unknown quantity at this point

View Post Originally Posted by gatorgirlchamps
I can't even understand that sentence..except 4 the g2g cya l8r. I understand that but what's the other?
Yes I know! I can't get used to it and I've known this person for about 2 weeks. I copied and pasted it from one of her posts. It says (People translate these things for me =P LOL) Oh I see. I have to go. Bye, see you later.
Isn't that confusing?
WebkinLover1209 is offline Female
Closed