Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
elcome to Eggtown
Webkinz :)

PanaBanana is on a distinguished road

Default Am I making this rule up? I thought I've seen it here before.

Okay, I'm no English major, but I am a person who enjoys reading full words. I know with technology today, many people can't find it in themselves to type out each word fully. I thought I read something in the rules about not using "text talk/speak"

I am just tired of reading letter for words and numbers for letters.

This site even makes it really easy to spell correctly...with spell heck. Lets do our brains a favor and exercise them this summer.
PanaBanana is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #2

*Krys* is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Am I making this rule up? I thought I've seen it here before.

I AM an English major and I feel your pain.

I also recall reading (somewhere, though I'm not certain where) a note about using proper text as opposed to text-speak or leet-speak.

Now, I'm not immune to the occasional quick or joking chat (omg im 2 xited n jking 2 type 4 real) and I sometimes get geeked out (I pwned you in dicekinz, bc I'm l33tzorz!)... but it takes me longer to read and write the "shorthand" than it does to type out the proper English versions. lol
*Krys* is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Amanda ♥

Even though I always text and go on AIM, I don't like it here. I find that as spam. I cringe when people post like this --

hey r u goin 2 the game 2day????? i am!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

I don't think it's a formal WI rule---not sure, didn't check--but I do recall having read several (older) threads on the subject of text speak--most of people on those past threads agreed with us: It's the pits!

I'm guessing it's a generational thing, though: I've loosely observed that the youngest members are most comfortable using text speak, probably because they are more used to it. Teens don't seem to use it as much, and adults hardly ever use it at all.

Personally, though, I would feel funny asking someone not to text speak, if that's their preferred way of communicating on the Internet.....I think everyone has to express themselves the way they feel most comfortable......But if we put this to a vote, , I'm definitely in favor of spelled out words, and complete sentences.
luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
dusangpyong
Gift Guru

dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!

It is actually a guideline as opposed to a rule. You can find it at http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...ead-t3999.html under guidelines. I believe it is the third or fourth one on the list.
Just to add my two cents on the subject, I do not like chatspeak and find it a bit difficult to decipher at times. I usually skip threads and GEs that are heavy on the chatspeak.

Last edited by dusangpyong; 07-07-2008 at 06:05 AM..
dusangpyong is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by dusangpyong
It is actually a guideline as opposed to a rule. You can find it at http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...ead-t3999.html under guidelines. I believe it is the third or fourth one on the list.
Thanks for checking that out for us!
luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #7

[xo]bumblebee is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you. I do go online to the AIM messenger a lot and type like that, but agreeing with Amanda, I think that doing it on here is unecessary <---- (sorry if I spelled that wrong! It looks right...). I think that we definitly SHOULD exercise our brains this summer by spelling correctly on Webkinz Insider to make it a bit less confusing. I think that we should also use proper sentences instead of just saying, "Yeah (10 letter rule)." I think that we should say WHY we have agreed instead of just yeah. I totally agree with you! Thank you for pointing this out!

~Bumble
[xo]bumblebee is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
agentpark
viicki68 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too prefer spelled out messages;however, our younger members prefer text type(which I do not understand). This is a forum so people are going to use what works for them and a rule will take away the free flow of the discussions. To each his own.

Vicki
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Gift Guru

dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!dreamb97 is not just visiting!

um i do talk sometimes but usually only on the DCT...i never new it was a rule
dreamb97 is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
Gifted

lulu is a glorious beacon of lightlulu is a glorious beacon of lightlulu is a glorious beacon of light

I agree. I usually use formal English when typing. I am VERY, very annoyed when people type lyk dis. I cannot understand that. I'm sorry.
lulu is offline Female
Closed