Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Leah Clearwater. ;]
Gifted

leahme999 has disabled reputation

Default Ad...

Ads like these:

Click the image to open in full size.

kinda freak me out. They know your zip code (or one pretty near it). It gets pretty annoying if you're trying to take screenshots, because you have to black the whole thing out every single time, and if you forget, you're in trouble.

I'm just wondering: Where do these ads get the info? I'm sure WI doesn't just give it out, but it kinda makes you wonder...
leahme999 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Toph is a
Gift Guru

cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible
cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible

Default Re: Ad...

I believe they trace your IP address
cocogirl211 is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

Now you know that programs exist that can trace you fairly close to your home by IP address. I have seen that in a number of programs where it lists towns near where I am. It bugs me too
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
I luv turtles and
Webkinz :)

singingmonkey is on a distinguished road

I think the ads are just there. I don't think WI picks them or gives out info, all the ads want is you to buy stuff.
singingmonkey is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #5

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

Are you sure it is actually tracking an IP, or is it just putting in a preformed one?
I know there was this glitter graphic ad for awhile that had my name as the pre-chosen demo... LOL I was like hey how does it know my name??? ... My sister set me straight and showed me the Ad on her comptuer... same name..

I can assure you, WI would not release this information.
If you feel uncomfortable with the ad. You can contact an Admin with a screenshot, link (if you feel comfortable getting it) & date/time of when the ad appeared and they will look into it.
MissGnomie is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
alex gaskarth is a
Gift Guru

Katarina has much to be proud ofKatarina has much to be proud ofKatarina has much to be proud ofKatarina has much to be proud ofKatarina has much to be proud of

If your online, your IP adress is active and people can track you down that way. That is why they ask not to give personal info, on safe sites like WI so bad people can't get your exact adress.

It creeps me out, too.
Katarina is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
ell have a good day

Jenn965 is just really niceJenn965 is just really nice

It gets creppy how close they know whare you are and just think what we dont think is posibale is happing
Jenn965 is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
HomieWHONKâ„¢ the
Gift Guru

Dogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talentDogluver620 has lots of talent

Yeah... I found that it was creepy.
Dogluver620 is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

no..it was a city right close to mine. It isn't an IP address that they bounce back from, but essentially the neighborhood through your ISP.
The IP (Internet Protocol) address only identifies your PC to your internet service provider (ISP). Various "tracking" techniques can be used to narrow that down, but only to within a marginal radius. (Like an email tracker)
The only way to get those would be to ask your ISP, which will have the information in its log files. I don't think that you can ask an ISP to give that PERSONAL information without a warrant, though.
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 12-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
xmio is a jewel in the roughxmio is a jewel in the rough

They use scripts like PHP to get your location using your IP address. It's just another way to get a user's attention to click on the ad.

I just saw this ad... isn't it kind of inappropriate for this site?

Click the image to open in full size.
Closed