Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
Gifted

scoobyrocks1112 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Where can you post one-way gift offers?

maybe in the contest for food but thats kind of you to want to do that!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
reach4astar

View Post Originally Posted by sn0wwhite
anyway, the problem becomes when you post a thread that you want to give items away that people will come and ask or beg for items and that is against the rules.
Thanks for responding. But let me get this straight -- I'm not allowed to do something that isn't prohibited by any rule (since it is not within the definition of a trade or exchange) solely because someone else MIGHT do something which is against the rules (i.e., beg for gifts)?

Thank goodness the police force in our communities don't operate like that! lol!! Can you imagine the things you'd be told you couldn't do, because it might tempt someone else to break the law?!?!

And yes, I need a thread to identify who needs something like what I want to give away, so it is needed and appreciated. I know my sons have received small gifts they don't need, and while they are grateful, those are exactly the types of gifts that get cashed in instead of treasured. Might my gifts be traded away or cashed in anyway? Sure, but I don't need to control what happens to them after they are freely given away, and that doesn't bother me.

I also think it makes for wonderful interaction and spirit within this community, to have a special forum where people can just offer to give, apart from trading. I've been in other online communities where RAKing is a regular practice, and it makes those forums an even better place to be, because the spirit of kindness and generosity is so pervasive.

Making more friends on WW (or even here) doesn't really meet the need, since the form of communication is so limited on WW. Due to the predefined & limited messages. I can't message anyone on my friend list and say, "Hey, I have some extra ____. Would you like me to send you some?" And quite frankly, wouldn't you like a gift to go where it is more needed than not?

I also discovered the moderation panel in my User CP yesterday, and have to say, that while I appreciate all the mods and what you all do (I've managed bulletin boards and chats online myself), the reasons given on 2 of 3 threads of mine that have been deleted were ones I really take issue with. The free offer thread was deleted because "No gifting is allowed outside of the GE". Well, the rules of the GE don't say that, so that mod's interpretation created a new rule that isn't stated anywhere. I have a problem with that, and I think others should too.

The other thread that had a stated reason for deletion showed that the mod hadn't even read the thread! I had posted some thoughtful gift combos (with pictures & recipes) that people going to a WW SuperBowl party could, voluntarily and on their own initiative, send to their party host or hostess. Yet the reason for deletion was "You can't ask for gifts" !!!! No where in that post did it ask for gifts, or suggest that anyone ask for those gifts! lol! I suppose the real reason was like the one you gave, it would offer the chance for someone else to ask for one of those gifts!!

I almost thought yesterday for asking for an appeal thread, where incorrect reasons for moderator actions could be challenged, after looking through those, but I knew that would be regarded with hostility, even though I think I have some very valid points about the way these rules are being enforced, and I'm not trying to be nasty in any way! (I have no clue what was wrong with the 3rd thread I had that was deleted -- no reason was given, and I can't figure out what even might have been wrong....).

One other thing I saw in my profile was the number of comments I've received from people for the many helpful posts I've tried to make (one of which even related to a thread which was deleted! lol!), so I don't make fluff posts, or even try to cause trouble. I generally try to be helpful & kind. That's why this rule, and the reasoning given so far, just make no sense to me, and I really want you all to rethink this approach. Confine posts like the ones I'm requesting be allowed to a specific sub-forum, if you want, so the behavior can be carefully restricted and moderated in a specific place, but don't prohibit something just because of how people might respond! (By the way, in my free offer thread, there wasn't a single bit of begging that occurred before it was deleted, so I also challenge the theory that such offers will encourage begging!)

In the hopes that a greater spirit of kindness will prevail,

:easter:
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
DeniseArrow

View Post Originally Posted by reach4astar
Thanks for responding. But let me get this straight -- I'm not allowed to do something that isn't prohibited by any rule (since it is not within the definition of a trade or exchange) solely because someone else MIGHT do something which is against the rules (i.e., beg for gifts)?

Thank goodness the police force in our communities don't operate like that! lol!! Can you imagine the things you'd be told you couldn't do, because it might tempt someone else to break the law?!?!

And yes, I need a thread to identify who needs something like what I want to give away, so it is needed and appreciated. I know my sons have received small gifts they don't need, and while they are grateful, those are exactly the types of gifts that get cashed in instead of treasured. Might my gifts be traded away or cashed in anyway? Sure, but I don't need to control what happens to them after they are freely given away, and that doesn't bother me.

I also think it makes for wonderful interaction and spirit within this community, to have a special forum where people can just offer to give, apart from trading. I've been in other online communities where RAKing is a regular practice, and it makes those forums an even better place to be, because the spirit of kindness and generosity is so pervasive.

Making more friends on WW (or even here) doesn't really meet the need, since the form of communication is so limited on WW. Due to the predefined & limited messages. I can't message anyone on my friend list and say, "Hey, I have some extra ____. Would you like me to send you some?" And quite frankly, wouldn't you like a gift to go where it is more needed than not?

I also discovered the moderation panel in my User CP yesterday, and have to say, that while I appreciate all the mods and what you all do (I've managed bulletin boards and chats online myself), the reasons given on 2 of 3 threads of mine that have been deleted were ones I really take issue with. The free offer thread was deleted because "No gifting is allowed outside of the GE". Well, the rules of the GE don't say that, so that mod's interpretation created a new rule that isn't stated anywhere. I have a problem with that, and I think others should too.

The other thread that had a stated reason for deletion showed that the mod hadn't even read the thread! I had posted some thoughtful gift combos (with pictures & recipes) that people going to a WW SuperBowl party could, voluntarily and on their own initiative, send to their party host or hostess. Yet the reason for deletion was "You can't ask for gifts" !!!! No where in that post did it ask for gifts, or suggest that anyone ask for those gifts! lol! I suppose the real reason was like the one you gave, it would offer the chance for someone else to ask for one of those gifts!!

I almost thought yesterday for asking for an appeal thread, where incorrect reasons for moderator actions could be challenged, after looking through those, but I knew that would be regarded with hostility, even though I think I have some very valid points about the way these rules are being enforced, and I'm not trying to be nasty in any way! (I have no clue what was wrong with the 3rd thread I had that was deleted -- no reason was given, and I can't figure out what even might have been wrong....).

One other thing I saw in my profile was the number of comments I've received from people for the many helpful posts I've tried to make (one of which even related to a thread which was deleted! lol!), so I don't make fluff posts, or even try to cause trouble. I generally try to be helpful & kind. That's why this rule, and the reasoning given so far, just make no sense to me, and I really want you all to rethink this approach. Confine posts like the ones I'm requesting be allowed to a specific sub-forum, if you want, so the behavior can be carefully restricted and moderated in a specific place, but don't prohibit something just because of how people might respond! (By the way, in my free offer thread, there wasn't a single bit of begging that occurred before it was deleted, so I also challenge the theory that such offers will encourage begging!)

In the hopes that a greater spirit of kindness will prevail,

:easter:
I think you have some very good points. And I agree that there should be some way to make appeals.

P.S. Does anyone know, are the PM's moderated also?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
Gifted
millieroo is a glorious beacon of lightmillieroo is a glorious beacon of light

View Post Originally Posted by DeniseArrow
I think you have some very good points. And I agree that there should be some way to make appeals.

P.S. Does anyone know, are the PM's moderated also?

I think if you have a problem with a pm, you can forward it to a mod and they will look into it.
millieroo is offline Female
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
KinzMommy

I have to say I can see both sides of the issue. Having a thread offering free stuff could cause some people to start begging you to give stuff to them instead of someone else, but I would hope that most of the people on here wouldn't do that & if they did then shouldn't the "begging" be what was deleted since that is what is against the rule. I can see why you would want to send someone some of your charm forest items because if I get one more good fairy or bad fairy T-Shirt I think I could clothe a full army. There should be some type of forum that would allow users to offer free stuff. I would rather see someone use it than selling them all back to the W shop as well. The items are not worth enough for someone to try and get them all in my opinion, and I don't need the money from them so why shouldn't we be able to send them to someone who really wants them without asking for something in return. I don't know, I guess I'm just too new here to see the real problem.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
We Love
Webkinz :)

angelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonderangelgurl1 wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 

What a LOVELY idea, and I've actually wondered the same thing! I just started with trading cards, and have lots of items that I really don't want, and would love to just give as a gift. And, of course it could be done randomly - but, it would be nice to give to someone who truly WANTS the item & is collecting a specific theme, or whatever! I'm not really interested in becoming 'gifted' and doing 'trades' - mostly because of the hassle you appear to have to go through, and, I think it's more fun to work for or get a desired item by chance! (There are only a couple that I want!) So - kudos to you for posting this! I'll be interested to see what comes of it... I'm fairly new here, but, it seems there should be some way to work it out through a general thread and then pm's...
angelgurl1 is offline Female
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
reach4astar

Thanks for the support!

I posted a poll to try to get a bit of feedback about this, too, but I don't think many people are understanding the issue from the poll title:
http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...e-t222112.html

View Post Originally Posted by KinzMommy
... I would hope that most of the people on here wouldn't do that & if they did then shouldn't the "begging" be what was deleted since that is what is against the rule.
That's kind of what I thought, too, but the whole thread was deleted....
Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Gifted
paws is the cats pajamas!paws is the cats pajamas!paws is the cats pajamas!paws is the cats pajamas!paws is the cats pajamas!paws is the cats pajamas!

I think that this would be great. I mean, begging is one thing, but if say, I collect the Egyptian theme (btw, i dont), andall I needed to complete my room was an egyptian vanity chair. Oh look! Bob (random name) has an extra chair and doesnt want it to go to waste.....

I love your idea and hope it can happen

I would love to give items to something like this. Or in my "bob" case, I wouldnt mind recieving a special gift
paws is offline Female
Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
Uppies
Gift Guru

Uppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: [SOLVED] Where can you post one-way gift offers?

If you would like to give away items you may do so by hosting a contest.

Your contest can be as simple as The next ___many people who post here will win a charm forest item.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
Uppies
Gift Guru

Uppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with graceUppies wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: [SOLVED] Where can you post one-way gift offers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach4astar

Yes, giving gifts in the open forum leads to people asking for items, one of the nice things about this forum is that we do not have a bunch of threads from people asking to have items given to them for free.

Quote:
Please feel free to create a contest. The contest section is a great way to RAK

Quote:
If you click on the rules button (it is in green under the charm fairy picture in the banner) this is under one of THE BIG RULES

NO TRADING OUTSIDE OF THE GIFT EXCHANGE - In order to protect our members from scams, we have a special area set up for exchanging items called "The Gift Exchange". No trading or exchanging of any kind is to occur outside of our Gift Exchange. This includes user-hosted contests, etc. There will be no begging for items or asking people for items in their pictures.

Quote:
If you have any issues with the moderation of your post or threads please feel free to contact an Admin or Site Owner about your issues.

Uppies

Last edited by Uppies; 02-20-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Closed