Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
Gifted

williamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledge

Default [SOLVED] Ads by Google full of cheat spam?!

Hey WI team,

I find it troubling that we're so careful about discouraging cheating, but WI's own "Sponsors" list at the left edge of the page you are reading right now contains "Ads by Google", and very often more than one of them is an invitation to cheats and 'codes'.

I don't know how these "ads" work, or if money is changing hands, but it strikes me as more than a little hypocritical. "Don't cheat! And hey, here's a link to a handy cheating guide!". Now, you and I know that such sites are garbage, and probably unsafe far beyond just the Webkinz implications, but our on-line experience allows us to see that list as conceptually separate (some reading this will never have given it a conscious thought). But it's on the same page, one click away!

Any kid (and too many adults) can be tempted by the illusion of something for nothing. That's why we talk about the rules and the risks at all. That talk has little credibility in the face of continual offers to the contrary.

Can they be filtered? Can you ask Google to block them? RealCash is obviously more important to the survival of this site than KinzCash, but I wish we could do better for our more innocent readers.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
andy0323
Gifted

andy0323 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Ads by Google full of cheat spam?!

That's a very good point. Good for you to bring it to the attention of others.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Gosh i'm
Gifted

goatluver1837 is a jewel in the roughgoatluver1837 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, williamson_39, that is a good point!
goatluver1837 is offline Female
Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Tim Gunn is a
Gift Guru

kateannec11 has much to be proud ofkateannec11 has much to be proud ofkateannec11 has much to be proud ofkateannec11 has much to be proud of

I totally agree!
kateannec11 is offline Female
Old 10-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
GrannySalty
Gift Guru

GrannySalty is a glorious beacon of lightGrannySalty is a glorious beacon of lightGrannySalty is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmmmm..... I hadn't even noticed them.
Thanks for pointing that out.

I think you are right those ads go against the nature of this website! They seem to try so hard here to encourage truth and honesty and NO Scamming and Cheating!!

Thumbs down on those ads!
GrannySalty is offline Female
Old 10-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Ask Please I have 2
Gift Guru

cajungirlfriend is a name known to allcajungirlfriend is a name known to allcajungirlfriend is a name known to all

I don't like the ads either. I have 2 kids and would never want them to go to a site like one of those. Thanks for pointing them out. Rep points for you.
cajungirlfriend is offline Female
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Boudica

Red face Re: Ads by Google full of cheat spam?!

I've seen these types of discussions come up on other sites that have ads on them. One site owner posted on his forum that once they contracted with an ad company that they had no control over what kind of ads appeared.

That doesn't seem right to me. You would think that a site could specify that certain kinds of ads not appear. This same site owner also claimed that you only see ads that pertain to cookies already on your computer. I don't know if that is true or not either but that's what he claimed in response to complaints about "adult ads" being displayed on a family game site. He used the defense "you must have already been looking at things like that and there were cookies on your computer that the ad company found and then they displayed similar ads".

Wow. There's a run on sentence for ya. I'm just not in a grammatical mood today. Anyway, Firefox is a good browser to use and then you can download the add-on "ad block" and choose which ads you want to block. Site owners don't make any money unless people actually click on the ad from what I understand so if you don't want to see "cheats" and such try blocking them. It isn't going to cost the site anything since you'd have to visit the cheat site in order for them to get paid anyway.

Hope all that makes some kind of sense. I'm just reporting on what another site owner said about this same type of problem.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Gift Guru

k2ramal has much to be proud ofk2ramal has much to be proud ofk2ramal has much to be proud ofk2ramal has much to be proud ofk2ramal has much to be proud of

I have mentioned this to justim via pm before and all he could tell me was they do not control the content of the ads posted beyond that they are not r rated
k2ramal is offline Female
Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
rleong

Justin has disabled reputation

Indeed. All we can do is block them on a URL by URL basis. That's the only flexibility that Google provides. I've looked at many of these "cheat sites" and most are just advertising it because it brings in traffic and when you go there, they say things like:

Cheat #1 = Do the Daily KinzCare award, you get free food and Kinz Cash

Cheat #2 = Spin the Wheel of WOW every day, you can win expensive items and up to 500 KC.

Cheat #3 = Play the Wishing wheel every day, you can win up to 1500 KC and exclusive items.
Justin is offline Male
Closed