Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI Rules & Suggestions

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #21
montanarose9

Default Re: ***Remember*** - Stay Safe Online! Six tips for staying safe - post your own and add to the list!

Great guide! Is this for WI or the internet as a whole? Anyway thanks for the tips!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
you're not alone
Webkinz :)

minimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guide

Default Re: ***Remember*** - Stay Safe Online! Six tips for staying safe - post your own and add to the list!

View Post Originally Posted by cuffy
This would be a good idea if there were less creeps out there. Even if you met at McDs and there were people around you still don't know what kind of a creep the person is that you are meeting. Sure they might **SEEM** nice, at first.
A few years ago I met this guy at the auto repair place. They were running behind so me and Hthis guy, "Bill" were there for a few hours and got to talking. He was very cute, had the most gorgeous blue eyes I'd ever seen, he seemed nice and normal and it seemed that we had alot in common. He gave me his number before my car was done and had planned to meet for coffee that weekend. I really thought I liked him. The following day at work I had some free time so I ran his name. (Let's just say I had the privilege of working for a place where I could so those things.) What I found out about him scared me. He'd been arrested several times for assault and battery and had a couple of active restraining orders against him from a few people. He'd also served 6 months in jail but I don't know what for. This taught me a valuable lesson that you can NOT be too careful!!! Like I said, the 2 hours talking to him he seemed normal, no red flags went up in my mind at all. The only good thing is that I never gave him my number. And it kind of frightens me that if I hadn't run his name I most likely WOULD have met him for coffee and who knows what might have happened.
My thoughts are that WI is a site to meet "ONLINE" friends and share advice on webkinz. Because it draws a large percentage of kids it very well may attract creeps. (I have a better word for them but using the word will likely get me banned.) Anyway, my personal opinion is that it would NEVER be a good idea to try to meet up with anyone here on WI. Better to be safe than sorry.
Wooow!

My mom met her BFF threw ebay so i neverrr saw anything wrong in people from the internet meeting.....
minimaid is offline Female
Old 02-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #23

Pandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clownPandora's Box is cool as a bunny clown

Great thread!

There are great points in this thread for younger members and everyone else.

I've been very fortunate here on WI and haven't experienced any threats or bad members like that...but these tips are great to know.

REP!!!!!!!!
Pandora's Box is offline Female
Old 02-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
Hebrews 6:19
Gifted

i love summer knows the way
i love summer knows the wayi love summer knows the way

Great thread!
Another tip:
Don't post your exact age, especially if you are under 18. There are a lot of child predators out there.
i love summer is offline Female
Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #25

13nattjo has disabled reputation

Here is a good one.

If you are in any sports and you tell people that you have a game or a meet or match today they could easily look and see what town/what town you will be at and it would not be good.

there might already be one like this on there but i think it is a good idea. Great Thread and reminders!!!! REP!
13nattjo is offline Female
Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #26
My Mommy Says I'm
Gifted

Amymt is a name known to allAmymt is a name known to allAmymt is a name known to all

Great thread! Also, you might have already mentioned this, but don't ever put your city or phone number or address or full name (first name is okay) or your age. You may put your country and state but nothing more then that!
Amymt is offline Female
Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #27
Gifted

cuffy is just really nicecuffy is just really nice

There's nothing wrong with it, just that it can be dangerous. Not everyone is a creep but it's better to be safe than sorry. I think you have to be extra extra careful on a site such as WI, where the majority of members are people under the age of 18. I think there are way more creeps that go for that type of audience than there would be creeps on eBay going after adults.
Plus not meeting anyone you meet on WI protects the other person as well. I've become online friends with a few members I've met here and it wasn't until after we'd PM'd a log time that I realized they weren't adults I was talking to, but kinds/young adults still in school. (From reading their posts they sounded more like grown up than kids) No harm done because I never met them or attempted to meet them. (My personal mantra is What happens here in WI, stays here in WI)
But lets say something similar happens to 2 other people, one is a kid an the other is an adult not kowing the first one is alot younger. "Sarah" the youner one says to "Ronny" "Hey, you mentioned you lived near Boston and I"m going to be in Boston for Valentines day. Meet me at the Starbucks in Braintree.' and Ronny thinks hey, that sounds good why not. So they meet. Maybe Sarah knows the other person is an adult or maybe not. Anyway they meet and find out that Sarah is in middle school and Ronny is an adult. Then somoen in Starbucks overhears that Ronny and Sarah met online and call the police. Ronny can get into a LOT of trouble for meeting someone under the age of 18. They might be the nicest person in the world, head of the the church choir maybe even have kids of their own. But it would still look bad and Ronny could go to jail. So for that reason too, I dont' think people meeting in "real life " through WI is a good idea.

View Post Originally Posted by minimaid
Wooow!

My mom met her BFF threw ebay so i neverrr saw anything wrong in people from the internet meeting.....

Last edited by cuffy; 02-02-2009 at 07:29 AM..
Old 02-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #28
pandagirl242
Gifted

koalagirl242 is a jewel in the roughkoalagirl242 is a jewel in the rough

thank you everyone for your great feedback! so many people have posted rules!! thank you again!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #29

gigiluvr25 is a jewel in the roughgigiluvr25 is a jewel in the rough

Great reminder!
If you actually know someone in real life, it can be a different story (me and swimfast551) but if you've only met them online, take precautions! People are not always who they say they are.
Rep for you! =]
gigiluvr25 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
mouse noms on tags