Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #61
Webkinz :)

DreamLoveLearn will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Webkinz Communal Contest Unsucessful

View Post Originally Posted by batty42
you're completely right about no one spending all weekend on the computer.
I was expecting the communal contest to be more like spending an extra hour or two over the weekend. this would be completely do able for me and i really enjoy the time i spend on WW and WI so it's no hardship.

no one should be spending all weekend on WW and Ganz shouldn't expect us to, no matter what the prize.
I wholeheartedly agree. I did not realize that goals would encourage people to spend all weekend on the computer. I like the idea of the communal contest, but not the way I saw it run this weekend. I do think that reasonable goals is the most important aspect of this contest, but by reasonable, I am in no way thinking of anyone spending hours on a computer. When I envisioned this contest, I was more thinking about people working together by pitching in to do activities they wouldn't normally do -- doing an employment job they don't do as much, going into quizzy's when they haven't been there in months, playing Goober's Lab when they might have preferred Pizza Palace (me, oh, definitely me!), etc. -- but I did not expect the goal to be set so high that you'd have to do anything online for hours (even a game you enjoy). It will be interesting to see what a "reasonable" goal is this week.
DreamLoveLearn is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #62
Diabetes Awareness

nanakins has much to be proud ofnanakins has much to be proud ofnanakins has much to be proud ofnanakins has much to be proud ofnanakins has much to be proud of

So Disappointed. Especially when I realized the goal was not 6 million but 6 billion. We have four accounts, one computer. I think it is a great idea. Special prizes just for the communal contest or maybe retired items might make it more appealing. Also, maybe not a weekly but a monthly contest with more time to reach an attainable goal. Do you think Ganz reads what we say here at WI?
nanakins is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #63
eldon2

quellie has a reputation beyond reputequellie has a reputation beyond reputequellie has a reputation beyond reputequellie has a reputation beyond reputequellie has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'll vote for the refrigerator. Can always use one more of those for the storeroom.
Wouldn't let me vote, tho. Here we go again....
quellie is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #64

iamsunshine1978 will become famous soon enough

Not worth it to me. I agree that the community idea is great, but, I would rather spend those hours playing with my kids at the park. Seriously it should be something no one should have to spend more than one hour on at the very most. The prizes are lame and not worth even an hour actually. If it was a charm or figurine as someone suggested than maybe. Or an e-store item. Then I would participate. But, until the prizes totally rock I will be passing this one up.
iamsunshine1978 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #65
bc2
bc2 has disabled reputation

I will still participate this week to get a better idea of what their idea of a more accomplish-able goal is. I will not ever waste my whole weekend again just to win a few bucks or a cheap W-shop item. They best just make the goal something that we can easily each do a small part to reach the goal and get the prize, no matter how lame it is. If that ends up the case, I will do my small part each week to help reach the goal.
bc2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #66

iamsunshine1978 will become famous soon enough

View Post Originally Posted by iamsunshine1978
Not worth it to me. I agree that the community idea is great, but, I would rather spend those hours playing with my kids at the park. Seriously it should be something no one should have to spend more than one hour on at the very most. The prizes are lame and not worth even an hour actually. If it was a charm code or figurine code as someone suggested than maybe. Or an e-store item. Then I would participate. But, until the prizes totally rock I will be passing this one up.
iamsunshine1978 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #67

Safire25509 is a splendid one to beholdSafire25509 is a splendid one to beholdSafire25509 is a splendid one to beholdSafire25509 is a splendid one to behold

Not to be rude, but I don't get why everyone is so upset about this. It was a simple mistake, and I'm sure Ganz is working hard to change it. I appreciate all the work you guys put into this, but no one forced you to work for something that was almost obviously impossible in the beginning.
Just my two cents.
Safire25509 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #68
Gift Guru

Mynoey is sweet stuff
Mynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuffMynoey is sweet stuff

View Post Originally Posted by Midreams
I did (more than?) my part in playing Goober's Lab this past weekend, but to be honest, I'm not really sure why so many people have stated that they are excited about the idea of communal contests.

I noted - with some sadness, actually, that quite a number of people posted that they'd devoted the entire weekend to playing Goober's Lab, over and over and over - while the rest of their friends and families spent the time on more productive activities.

In another life, I organized an annual event that took place over the course of Labor Day weekend - 72 hours straight. It was something that everyone looked forward to - all year round - and we were able to line up many generous sponsors that enabled us to reward the players with all kinds of fun prizes - ranging from things worth a few dollars, to items worth several hundreds.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Ganz needs to offer big dollar prizes - I'm saying that the whole attraction of the Labor Day event was that it only came once a year. Everyone got a little silly and stayed up as late as they could, and every year, the most obsessed of the bunch would compete with one another to see if they could make it through all 72 hours. Everyone was always excited to see what the prizes were, and the event hosts all got into the spirit of the thing.

If I'd held this event every single weekend, I would have expected everyone to quickly tire of the novelty of the thing. That's exactly what's going to happen here.

I've seen a lot people say "We deserve better prizes!", but even if the prizes were sensational, I'm still wondering why so many people think that spending all weekend - every weekend - on Webkinz would be seen as a worthy activity, and something to be encouraged.

Several parents have said "I limit my kids to such-and-such number of hours on the computer", and I applaud that. Personally, I think Ganz is dropping the ball on its responsibility, particularly to the kid members, to make Webkinz a small part of an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

Was there really a staff meeting where everyone at Ganz got all excited when someone said "I've got a great new idea! Let's have "community contests" that will entice all of our members to sit on the computer all weekend long - and let's do it every weekend!"

Count me amongst those who won't be posting "Oh, I love the idea of community contests. That's so neat, Let's just have better prizes and more achievable goals". Put me down for "Community contests have the (unintended?) consequence of parking kids in front of the computer all weekend. Bad idea."

Just my 2 cents...
Well said, midreams. Very well said.

To be honest, I had very mixed feelings when this was announced. Activities that foster a sense of community (without the drawbacks of multi-player activities that should be properly monitored for inappropriate behavior...something Ganz is not particularly successful at doing) aren't entirely a bad thing. But they do need to be done within set parameters that avoid both the "glued to the computer" and the "I played X hours. They only played A hours. Why are they getting the same prize?" scenarios. Neither of these are desirable scenarios. The first is unhealthy and the second is divisive.

A communual contest that required playing a game a reasonable number of times or for a realistic period of time over a two day period would work. It would also be more in line with the types of prizes Ganz feels is appropriate for the time players invest.

When I saw that 6 BILLION goal, my eyes bugged. For several reasons. One, even a game where the players are older and hard core gamers doesn't set a goal like that. It would take weeks to achieve. But Ganz, who is supposed to promote learning, good values, AND "getting outside and off the computer", expected children to do it in two days. They would try to spend every free minute playing and still have no chance of success. Second, it was set to run only on EST. That the Darksiders would only get one weekend day to play didn't matter.

How Ganz set up the communal contest bothered me quite a bit. The prizes they thought the kids deserved for giving up their free time to participate bothered me a little. But what bothers me most is the way Ganz handled the situation when they realized they'd done it wrong. They admitted they messed up but, once again, do not apologize and take responsibility for the impact of their mistake on others.

"Spend all your free time on the computer" is a lousy message to send to kids. But "It's OK not to take responsibility for your actions" is an even worse one.

JMO...but a company that wants to profit by marketing to kids....has an ethical responsibility to avoid sending these types of messages.
Mynoey is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #69
Wytchy is on a distinguished road

View Post Originally Posted by DreamLoveLearn
However, I do want to add that I feel is you enter on more than one account, you should also be responsible for contributing your part for EACH account. I do not think it is Ganz's fault if the formula was off because so many people entered from different accounts (although I suspect that was not the only aspect of their formula that impacted the unreasonable goal).
I agree! I'm just as aggravated as most of you. I do think, however, that Ganz used the number of accounts that entered into their equation to determine the amount of points to be earned.

Not making any excuses. Ganz should be well aware that many, many people have multiple accounts and entered all of them into the contest.

I won't be bothering with the next contest either. It will be my kids' decision if they want to give it another try, BUT I won't allow them to stay on the computer the entire week-end. I'll set a time limit and they won't be allowed to exceed it.
Wytchy is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #70
Gifted

batty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socks

View Post Originally Posted by Mynoey

"Spend all your free time on the computer" is a lousy message to send to kids. But "It's OK not to take responsibility for your actions" is an even worse one.
such a good point. it's not that i really care about the 500kc prize we didn't get, it's more like i feel they are sending a bad message about taking responsibility for their mistakes.
batty42 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
communal contest, goober's lab

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: