Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #51
Webkinz :)

DreamLoveLearn will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Webkinz Communal Contest Unsucessful

View Post Originally Posted by Tula
I don't like the idea that we are creating an expectation that children should be on a computer working for hours on a virtual contest. They are kids and this should be a game for them to have fun with in free time...and thats just it..."free time." They say they have people on staff that understand the developmental levels of kids but you have to wonder sometimes with the expectations they create with participation style events.
Oh, I competely agree with that. I do not like the idea of encouraging children (or anyone!) to spend hours on a computer. That is why I liked the idea of making it a communal contest -- it should have been more about having those who were better at the game be able to make up for those who weren't as good at the game. It should NOT have been about encouraging children (or anyone) to spend an unhealthy amount of time on the computer. For example, think about if they used one of the employment games as the task - that would just encourage everyone to work really hard at doing their best on that game... the most they could reasonably do it is twice per day (three for deluxe members). Instead of encouraging five hours a day on the computer, that would encourage people to practice the specific employment task during the week and then give it their best on the weekend.

However, I do want to add that I feel is you enter on more than one account, you should also be responsible for contributing your part for EACH account. I do not think it is Ganz's fault if the formula was off because so many people entered from different accounts (although I suspect that was not the only aspect of their formula that impacted the unreasonable goal).
DreamLoveLearn is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #52
Midreams has a spectacular aura aboutMidreams has a spectacular aura about

I did (more than?) my part in playing Goober's Lab this past weekend, but to be honest, I'm not really sure why so many people have stated that they are excited about the idea of communal contests.

I noted - with some sadness, actually, that quite a number of people posted that they'd devoted the entire weekend to playing Goober's Lab, over and over and over - while the rest of their friends and families spent the time on more productive activities.

In another life, I organized an annual event that took place over the course of Labor Day weekend - 72 hours straight. It was something that everyone looked forward to - all year round - and we were able to line up many generous sponsors that enabled us to reward the players with all kinds of fun prizes - ranging from things worth a few dollars, to items worth several hundreds.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Ganz needs to offer big dollar prizes - I'm saying that the whole attraction of the Labor Day event was that it only came once a year. Everyone got a little silly and stayed up as late as they could, and every year, the most obsessed of the bunch would compete with one another to see if they could make it through all 72 hours. Everyone was always excited to see what the prizes were, and the event hosts all got into the spirit of the thing.

If I'd held this event every single weekend, I would have expected everyone to quickly tire of the novelty of the thing. That's exactly what's going to happen here.

I've seen a lot people say "We deserve better prizes!", but even if the prizes were sensational, I'm still wondering why so many people think that spending all weekend - every weekend - on Webkinz would be seen as a worthy activity, and something to be encouraged.

Several parents have said "I limit my kids to such-and-such number of hours on the computer", and I applaud that. Personally, I think Ganz is dropping the ball on its responsibility, particularly to the kid members, to make Webkinz a small part of an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

Was there really a staff meeting where everyone at Ganz got all excited when someone said "I've got a great new idea! Let's have "community contests" that will entice all of our members to sit on the computer all weekend long - and let's do it every weekend!"

Count me amongst those who won't be posting "Oh, I love the idea of community contests. That's so neat, Let's just have better prizes and more achievable goals". Put me down for "Community contests have the (unintended?) consequence of parking kids in front of the computer all weekend. Bad idea."

Just my 2 cents...
Midreams is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #53
petitepal is on a distinguished road

One thing we really have to be honest about is at this point most of the people on webkinz are not kids anymore. They are adults who have taken over their kids accounts or just do the webkinz. Quite honestly I do not think kids are as mean as some of the ones that I have seen in the park with the trash, I do believe that those are mostly adults. Also, the communal idea is really good if it is done correctly, not like the trash pick up in the park.

Midreams you are absolutely correct.

Midreams has stated what we all should really be saying. No one should be sitting on a computer all weekend long to attain a "virtual" prize or anything for that matter unless it is a rare occassion.

Last edited by petitepal; 03-01-2010 at 10:35 AM..
petitepal is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #54
Serving Up Wacky
Gift Guru

robertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond words
robertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond words

View Post Originally Posted by petitepal
I voted for the fridge at least if it is something easy to do this time it is an item and I use to store food.
Yeah but it is an Ugly fridge, I am not going to vote in protest, How do you think Ganz will feel if less than half of the people that signed up last week don't sign up this week. I played Goobers lab more this weekend then I have in the last couple of years. I have seven accounts I am not going to participate unless it's a game I really do well at, like Eager Beaver or Quizzy's.

Besides there was a glitch which wouldn't allow my scores for the first 2 times I played,(check the glitch reports)

I agree with most of the previous comments, This stinks, the prizes for the second week stink, and the may POM Stinks (I'm sorry if I have offended those that like skunks) To sum up the first Communal Contest , Ganz happens.

Last edited by robertcleveland; 03-01-2010 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: typo
robertcleveland is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #55
Gifted

RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!

I get that everyone is upset with Ganz (and don't get me wrong, I am too!). But the problem is this: All the people who got mad aren't going to play, and then no one will win, and that defeats the purpose of "community". For those of us who played Goober's Lab for hours, they still got kinzcash. So there was a reward, just not the one we wanted or expected.

I hope it was a learning experience to Ganz. First, they have to make the goal more realistic, and specify the rules. WW said "Play goober's lab". It was only on WI that they specified "in the arcade, not the tournament". I prefer the tournament, because then I chance winning an extra 175. If they included both, maybe we would have reached it. They said that in the future there will be better prizes - Wheels, Button's of kinzcash (I think), etc. If it was a wish token, I'm sure many people would join in. A small eStore prize would get attention, too. But if people are so disappointed that they won't try because of this contest, then we lose anyway.
RiddleMeThis is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #56
Gifted

batty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socksbatty42 rocks our collective socks

View Post Originally Posted by Midreams
I did (more than?) my part in playing Goober's Lab this past weekend, but to be honest, I'm not really sure why so many people have stated that they are excited about the idea of communal contests.

I noted - with some sadness, actually, that quite a number of people posted that they'd devoted the entire weekend to playing Goober's Lab, over and over and over - while the rest of their friends and families spent the time on more productive activities.

In another life, I organized an annual event that took place over the course of Labor Day weekend - 72 hours straight. It was something that everyone looked forward to - all year round - and we were able to line up many generous sponsors that enabled us to reward the players with all kinds of fun prizes - ranging from things worth a few dollars, to items worth several hundreds.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Ganz needs to offer big dollar prizes - I'm saying that the whole attraction of the Labor Day event was that it only came once a year. Everyone got a little silly and stayed up as late as they could, and every year, the most obsessed of the bunch would compete with one another to see if they could make it through all 72 hours. Everyone was always excited to see what the prizes were, and the event hosts all got into the spirit of the thing.

If I'd held this event every single weekend, I would have expected everyone to quickly tire of the novelty of the thing. That's exactly what's going to happen here.

I've seen a lot people say "We deserve better prizes!", but even if the prizes were sensational, I'm still wondering why so many people think that spending all weekend - every weekend - on Webkinz would be seen as a worthy activity, and something to be encouraged.

Several parents have said "I limit my kids to such-and-such number of hours on the computer", and I applaud that. Personally, I think Ganz is dropping the ball on its responsibility, particularly to the kid members, to make Webkinz a small part of an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

Was there really a staff meeting where everyone at Ganz got all excited when someone said "I've got a great new idea! Let's have "community contests" that will entice all of our members to sit on the computer all weekend long - and let's do it every weekend!"

Count me amongst those who won't be posting "Oh, I love the idea of community contests. That's so neat, Let's just have better prizes and more achievable goals". Put me down for "Community contests have the (unintended?) consequence of parking kids in front of the computer all weekend. Bad idea."

Just my 2 cents...
you're completely right about no one spending all weekend on the computer.
I was expecting the communal contest to be more like spending an extra hour or two over the weekend. this would be completely do able for me and i really enjoy the time i spend on WW and WI so it's no hardship.

no one should be spending all weekend on WW and Ganz shouldn't expect us to, no matter what the prize.
batty42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #57
Hahn is an unknown quantity at this point

We shouldn't expect anything less from Ganz.
Hahn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #58
Serving Up Wacky
Gift Guru

robertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond words
robertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond wordsrobertcleveland is beyond words

View Post Originally Posted by lilkinzmom7
I agree. For the most part, I like the idea of the community contest, however, if the prize is not worth much, have the goal be easy to attain!!! Also, there probably are some players who enter but do not or are not able to contribute as much but they still get the same prize as the ones who played for hours...how can that be fixed so that it's fair? I'm just not too sure about it now, I would like to play for better prizes and with a goal that is within reach.
It was not about BEING FAIR, it was about everyone contributing. Do the math what adds up to more, 100 scores of 120, or one score of one thousand ? No one forced you to play it was voluntary. I stink at Goobers lab but I tried to help and made a new highscore three times.
robertcleveland is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #59

SavhLaney is on a distinguished road

Add me to the list of those disappointed in Ganz for not at least rewarding those who participated in the contest and tried to attain the goal.

Also, I think they should be more creative in the prize choices. I was not really interested in any of this week's offerings. Of the four, two are what I would consider to be "girl" prizes, one was a "boy" prize and one was generic. Ganz needs to give more consideration to the boys.
SavhLaney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #60
Gifted

RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by Midreams

Just my 2 cents...
Excellent point. I played a lot on Saturday, around my "husband isn't home and kids need attention" schedule (even after they went to bed). By Sunday, I left the comp off and spent the day with family. I never thought about the grand scale of how many people would be sitting there all weekend.

But of course Ganz is going to promote playing more on weekends. They're a company who wants you to buy more. Besides - many people can't play during the week because of responsibilites. If they put this on a Tues, people would be complaining that between school/ homework/ sports they don't have a chance to get on. In that sense, I don't blame them.

Weekly might be overkill, but then they limit so many activities - Button of kinzcash is rare during the week, but so is token balloon darts/ wheel of the month/ etc. I wouldn't mind them putting this on one weekend a month. I just hope that someone in Ganz reads your post. You should forward it to them.
RiddleMeThis is offline Female Reply With Quote

Tags
communal contest, goober's lab

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: