Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
rleong

Justin has disabled reputation

Default NEW!!! MyWI -- User Homepages, Blogs, Discussions and more!!

After a couple of weeks of adjusting options and playing around with the system, the WI staff is opening up a whole new feature on the WebkinzInsider Forum!

Over the past month or so, I’ve received some requests for blogging, columns, & user homepages. I’d been working on something for awhile that just never quite worked, but this new functionality will allow for all of that, and more! It’s called Zoints Local, and you’re going to love it!

Let’s start with the basics:

1) Guests & Lil Kinz will not be able to see your user homepage, nor will they be able to make their own. In order to access the system, a user must be registered on WI and must have more than 10 posts (moving themselves into a Webkinz).

2) All of the current rules on WI still apply. We don’t tolerate rudeness or spamming, and no trading is permitted outside of the Gift Exchange. As you all know, this is for your own protection!

3) These pages are for Webkinz and WebkinzInsider-related information. Please keep any personal information out of these pages, just like on the rest of WI. We want to keep it safe for everyone!

4) If we find that a user is abusing someone else’s homepage, we will remove their privileges to view the pages. If we find that a user is abusing WI rules on their own homepage, we will delete their user homepage and they will not be allowed to create another one.

5) This homepage is all your own. There is so much you can do with it, which we’ll explain below. Be creative, make it your own, and have fun, but again, keep it related to Webkinz and WebkinzInsider!!

6) There will be no creating of posts or threads to let people know that you've just added something to your page, or to advertise it! You may do so in your signatures, but that is all.

7) If, at any time, we decide that the system is not working out, or is being abused by too many people, we reserve the right to remove it entirely.

So now that the boring rules are out of the way, we can get down to the fun stuff!

You’ll notice a new link “Insider Info” in people’s post bits on all of their posts. This is the link to their home page here on WI! There are quite a few things that you can add/remove from the page and you can slide things around to where you want them! You can change colors to something that suits you, and a whole bunch of other stuff!

There are 5 basic sections : Profile, My Homepage, Discussions, Blog & Network

The Profile section is your main landing page. You can add and remove any of the modules you see there. It starts off with a three-column design, but if you drag the modules outside of one column and save the settings, it will move a two column design, like my page! You can drag them all to one column and make it a one column page too. It's up to you! Some of the pages are enabled by default, while others are in the preferences.

Other people can leave comments on your profile page, suggest that you visit certain links and they can also be “social” by “Smiling” or “Winking” at you when they drop by!

You can also create your own discussions, having your own mini-forum right here on WI! Remember, all the current rules still apply!

The Blog section is exactly what it says. It’s your very own personal blog! People can read your blog and leave comments about your posts, etc. It’s a really great way to keep all your thoughts and tips in one place! In addition, your Profile section will display your most recent blog post (if you kept the module in).

Finally, we have the network section. When you go to someone’s homepage, you can click “Network with <user>” and it will link your profiles together and you will be tagged as friends within each others’ networks!

Some specifics
I'm sure all of this sounds mighty confusing. I'm confused myself and I wrote it. Here's some help with screenshots to get you guys moving on the basics. I can't wait to see what you great designers end up making!

How to access your page -- People can always click on the "MyWI" link in your post bit on every post. Also, if they bring up your regular profile, your "MyWI" link will be at the top. If you ever want to give it out to your friends to have them access it directly, you can tell them to go to : http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/z/<yourusername>

So, mine would be something like this: Visit MyWI page at http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/z/Justin!!

To to turn your MyWI page off
-- In your UserCP at the bottom of "Edit Options", there is a setting that allows you to turn off your link.

Permissions -- I've turned off the guest ability to view the MyWI link on everyone's posts, but if they know your URL (you've given it to them), then they can see your MyWI. In order to turn that off, click PRIVACY and click all the Guest settings to No.

Now, I'll let Krystin handle the rest!!
Justin is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Gifted

595601175 is on a distinguished road

Default Phase 1: A Lesson In Theme Creation

Hello There,

I'm going to start this little tutorial off using 595601175's "END ALL THEME" it is the theme that best matches Webkinz Insider and it is also the theme I used to learn the program. If you are not currently using the "End All Theme" you can change your preferences by going to the STYLES EDITOR, browsing the MEMBER STYLES and choosing to add 595601175's "End All Theme". When the theme has been added go to CURRENT STYLE and choose to use "595601175's End All Theme".

Click the image to open in full size.

Let's First Discuss The Settings For This Theme - so that later you will understand how it's done and can create a theme that suits your own personal style.

To Make Changes To The "End All Theme" First Go To The STYLES EDITOR and Chose "End All Theme". The STYLES EDITOR will take a minute or two to load and then your ready to start! You will have two options available 1. CREATE A NEW STYLE BASED ON and 2. EDIT A SINGLE BLOCK. We are going to Chose Option 1 for now. After selecting CREATE A NEW STYLE BASED ON 595601175's "END ALL THEME" more options will become available to you. These Are: BODY, PAGE, BLOCK TITLE, BLOCK HEADER, BLOCK BACKGROUND 1, BLOCK BACKGROUND 2 and BLOCK BORDER. Were going to look at each of these options in order.

Please Note: Colors are written in what is called "Hexagonal Code" hence each color has a six digit code that it correlates to. The choices available to you border on the infinite. For help in this area you may use Marianne's Color Codes http://www.childoflight.org/mcc/colorcodeA.html or locate a guide of your choosing.

Body - The body of your page will total 800 pixels in width. So you simply divide these pixels between the number of columns you want 1, 2 or 3. The "End All Theme" has 2 columns the left column 350 pixels and the right 445 pixels hence 2 columns. Between each column be sure to place a minimum of a 5 pixel spacing between blocks so that your wording does not run together, of course the spacing can be larger but smaller is not recommended.

Page - Here you will input your colors for the BACKGROUND, FONT COLOR, STYLE, SIZE and BORDER COLOR. The BACKGROUND for the "End All Template" is F3F7FC which is a sort of off white color with a blue tinge. The FONT COLOR (your text) is 000000 signifying black a color easily seen my most people. FONT SIZE is 12 a good size not to over done but also not so small you need a magnifying glass. My recommendation is that your font is no smaller than 10 and no larger than 14 but this is your profile so feel free to experiment. The "End All Theme" Uses B - which stands for bold, but you also have the option of I - Italics and U - Underline. Then it's time to chose your FONT STYLE Your going to be looking for something easily readable. After all why spend the time creating a profile if no one can read it. The script and scroll fonts look nice and are quite fancy but do not lend themselves well to a web based page, especially if they are to small, this page uses Palatino Linotype. Lastly you have your BORDER COLOR, which in this case is ACBFD5 a medium blue in a SIZE 1. This color will border around your entire profile adding a bit of extra color and flair to your page. The size of your BORDER COLOR indicates with width of that border and is best left to the preferences of the page creator, YOU.

Block Title - Here we choose the BLOCK TITLE BACKGROUND. A BLOCK TITLE is the top colored section of each box that denotes what will be contained in the box (module) Examples - My Friends, About Me Etc. The "End All Template" uses CDEOFO a blue slightly lighter than the one we used for the PAGE BORDER. For the sake of uniformity the FONT COLOR and STYLE remains 000000 - Black, Size 12, Bold, Palatino Linotype and to it we have added a padding (spacing) of 5.

Block Header - Located just under the BLOCK TITLE. This section requires a background which is in this case has been set to E6E8FA - A sheer blue color and again for the sake of uniformity the FONT COLOR and STYLE remains 000000 - Black, Size 12, Bold, Palatino Linotype and a padding (spacing) of 5.

Block Backgrounds 1 & 2 - There are times when the relay of information will come in short answers like for example the "About Me" section. When this occurs you may want to Zebra Stripe the text box so that the readers eyes stay on the correct line so they retrieve the information properly since the usual guide a complete sentence gives will not be available to them. You can create this Zebra Striped Effect by utilizing BACKGROUNDS 1 & 2. In our example the settings for BACKGROUND 1 will be Background FFFFFF- White, Text 000000 - Black, Size 12, Bold, Palatino Linotype and a padding of 5 and BACKGROUND 2 will change to Background F3F7FC - Blue Tinged White, Text 000000 - Black, Size 12, Bold, Palatino Linotype and a padding of 5.

Block Border - This is fairily self explanatory, however for those of you who are not following your BLOCK BORDER is the color that surrounds each Text Box which in Zionts is often called a Block or Module. In our example we used 000000- Black at a line size of 2 because of it's bold defining effect.

** You may choose to check "share in the styles data base" if you wish to share your newly created theme.

and then Click "Save Changes"

WA LA - Your Done!

Last edited by 595601175; 06-07-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Gifted

Default Phase 2: A Lesson In Page Content

Okay Now that you have created a "theme" by experimenting with and thus modifying the "End All Template" let's move on to Lesson 2 - Content.

As Justin said:
There are 5 basic sections : Profile, My Homepage, Discussions, Blog & Network. Since the "Profile" section is your main page, it's the first thing your visitors are going to see so pack it with information you want people to know about you and make it as eye catching as possible!

For purposes of this demonstration I'm going to use my own profile because it is already completed and uses the "End All Theme". http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...file=595601175 however you may notice some slight differences between the pictures below and the current page because I will be continuing to experiment with the program.

THINGS YOU MUST KNOW:

To Move Any Block (Text Box) Grab it By The Block Title and Move It To It's New Location.
To Modify Any Block (Text Box) click the wrench that appears on the box you want to modify.
To Delete Any Block (text Box) click the X that appears on the box you wish to delete.

STEP 1 The Profile Section:

For BLOCK ONE (Text Box) I chose to use my real name and my Webkinz ID as a BLOCK TITLE. Most people recognize one if not all of those things as a representation of me in the Webkinz Community so they are good choices to start off a profile. I also chose to include my user name and avatar in the text block itself.

For BLOCK TWO (Text Box) I chose to use the BLOCK TITLE "Krystin & Some Of Her Pit Bulls" as the picture I uploaded into this section was of exactly that.

NOTE: .jpg is for photos, .gif is for clipart & graphics, .png can be used for low intensity clipart, .bmp should not be used in a web based setting.

For BLOCK THREE - As you can clearly see I used the BLOCK TITLE "About Krystin" however for security reasons you may want to use your Webkinz ID instead of your name. I am an Adult who raises Pit Bulls so I am not fearful of being abducted from my home. Please consider your safety when posting this type of personal information. I also chose to include my Birthday, Gender and WI Title.

BLOCK FOUR - The quotes I renamed the BLOCK TITLE to Krystin's Quotes then researched the internet for some popular quotes that fit my personality and entered them into the prepared boxes. I currently have 10 installed and the profile cycles them with each page load/ refresh.

BLOCK FIVE - Krystin's Friends is the obvious BLOCK TITLE, however the block gives you the option of the number of friends to display 0 - 20 and how you want them displayed by user name, last active or random. I chose 10 friends displayed randomly.

BLOCK SIX - Please Leave Me A Message a short but sweet BLOCK TITLE. The block allows you the following modifications 1. the number of messages to display - I chose 10 and 2. To display the avatar of the person commenting - I chose yes because I do a lot better remembering people with the help of pictures than names alone .

BLOCK SEVEN - Totally Easy. Give it a BLOCK TITLE and the template does the rest for you. My BLOCK TITLE of choice Emotions & Attention Getters.

BLOCK EIGHT - Krystin's Links - In this section you may choose how many links you want displayed on your page at a time and what folders you want the links displayed from. I quickly posted some of the places I visit often and other pages I created myself.

BLOCK NINE - Once again all that is required from you is a BLOCK TITLE and the template generates all the necessary information to fill the block. It is also worth noting that other than the style of the information this block may not be modified in any way!

STEP 2 My Homepage Section:

This Section is Zoints generated based upon the input you place in other sections of Zionts and what Zoints groups you choose to join. I don't really care for this page so I went to The profile tab in the profile editor, clicked the wrench next to "MY HOMEPAGE" and changed the "SHOW PAGE IN NAVIGATION" from yes to no and made it appear invisible to my future guests.

STEP 3 The Discussion Section:

If you would like to discuss a WEBKINZ topic with a few of your profile buddies than DISCUSSIONS is the right place for you. Simply click START A NEW DISCUSSION type the title and description in the form that appears and your off! However If choose not to discuss the issues within your own profile you can go to the profile tab in the editor and click the wrench next to "DISCUSSIONS" then change the "SHOW PAGE IN NAVIGATION" from yes to no and low and behold it will disappear.

STEP 4 The Blogs Section:

BLOGS are fairly easy, they start as a blank slate and are there for you to put in your daily or weekly or even monthly thoughts. Whenever the need arises your BLOG is there for you. Just type away and all your Webkinz Friends can see "What's Up" with you on any given day. In this section you may also make choices as to who is allowed to SEE your blog; friends family, the world? It all depends on your personal choices. Not a Blogger? You can go to the profile tab in the editor and click the wrench next to "BLOGS" then change the "SHOW PAGE IN NAVIGATION" from yes to no and no more worries your blogging days are over.

STEP 5 The Network Section:

This section is auto generated when someone is added to your friends list however if that friendship should grow old and later die you can visit the network section and remove them from your profile. Simply click a user and press delete, it's that simple.

Last edited by 595601175; 06-07-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Gifted

Default Phase 3: Breaking The Mold - How To Do It Yourself!

This will be the last lesson in profile creation. You may use the Zoints DISCUSSION Section on MY PROFILE as a place to ask and / or address any unanswered Zoints questions and comments you may have AFTER YOU READ ALL THREE LESSONS !

Breaking The Mold:

Step 1 - Adding New Blocks.
Go to Profile - Page Management - Add New Blocks.

You will have the following Default BLOCKS available:

My Network, User Name, About Me, Links, Forum Info, Recent Blog Entries, Social Actions, Quick Comments, My Quotes, Photo and RSS Feed.

Each of these BLOCKS can be seen on the PROFILE PAGE with the exception of the RSS Feed. At this time I have no understanding of the uses of that particular block, so please do not ask me what an RSS Feed is as I will not know the answer.

My Vehicle:
There should be no information placed in these blocks as it does not pertain to the subject at hand.

Custom Blocks: Should be empty because you have yet to create any custom blocks.

Inactive Blocks: My Interests should be listed in this section. This block was turned off by the administration of WI.

Create Custom Content Block - which is our first step in adding to your profile. So click CREATE CUSTOM CONTENT BLOCK and choose to add it to your Profile. A form will appear asking you to give your new box a BLOCK TITLE and CONTENT INFORMATION.

I chose the BLOCK TITLE - My Adult Pit Bulls and listed each of them in the text box as the content information. Fill yours out and then check your profile page. If your new block (text box) was not placed in the correct spot just grab it by the BLOCK TITLE and move it to a more suitable space. Remember if you need to change the colors of any of your newly created blocks you can click the WRENCH which will bring you to the editing mode the you can use the BLOCK EDITING TOOL you were introduced to in Lesson 1 - CREATING A THEME.

Step 2 - Add New Block Page.

A form will appear asking you to name your new BLOCK PAGE. I have named mine "KRYSTIN'S EXAMPLE BLOCK PAGE" because I plan to keep a working example available for members to see at all times. You'll also need to chose a style, in this case I chose 595601175's BROWN and whether or not you would like the page visible in navigation. I chose yes so that visitors to my profile wanting help with profile creation could find it easily. The page will appear to be blank.

Now it is up to you to go into the PROFILE - PAGE MANAGEMENT SECTION and chose ADD BLOCKS. From there you may chose to either add DEFAULT BLOCKS to this page or create some CUSTOM BLOCKS of your own. I am going to create two CUSTOM BLOCKS for this page using the ADD NEW BLOCKS Function.

Step 3 - Add New Blank Content Page.

A form will appear asking you to name your new BLANK CONTENT PAGE. I have named mine "MY WEBKINZ WORLD WANTS" because I have trouble keeping track of little scraps of paper on my desk and this is a very convenient way as to not loose my list. Please keep in mind this is not a trade list and anyone who is not a Gift Guru that is caught trading through PM will receive an infraction. Moving on, you will also need to chose a STYLE, in this case I chose 595601175's pink and whether or not you would like the page visible in navigation.

Then all that is left to do is enter the page content and your done!

Last edited by 595601175; 06-07-2007 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
rleong

Justin has disabled reputation

Default Re: NEW!!! MyWI -- User Homepages, Blogs, Discussions and more!!

Adding a bump so ya'll know this is neeeeewwww!!
Justin is offline Male
Closed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: