Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!


Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #231
. Fun In The Sun! .
Gifted
 
MyPersian's Avatar
MyPersian is the cats pajamas!MyPersian is the cats pajamas!MyPersian is the cats pajamas!MyPersian is the cats pajamas!MyPersian is the cats pajamas!MyPersian is the cats pajamas!

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme

View Post Originally Posted by nicolee1978
i have to stick up for the science theme. there is NOTHING like it in any other theme, even in the curio shop. it's a kid favorite. it goes great with making school and lab rooms. i love the science theme.

i know each theme has it's own greatness but i don't think it's fair to make the science theme sound so expendable. every rare theme has special value to each webkinz fan.

instead of "hoping" for a certain theme to leave maybe we can appeal to ganz to rethink this or to make the pieces available for everyone soon. we all know ganz keeps up with this website and our voices do count!

I agree Nicolee,
I love all the rare themes. The science theme is great and I haven't collected any of it yet. It is not expendable. Please Ganz if you are reading...rethink retiring a rare or at least rethink making it "a big surprise." We need a "heads up" and time to finish up our collections.
MyPersian is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #232
Webkinz :)
Copious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledgeCopious flows towards the sea of knowledge

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

I'm sure that I'm in the minority with this but I like that things retire and new things come along. It makes the game much more interesting.

I do kind of hope that it isn't the science theme though because it's one of the more interesting themes. The medieval theme is great because a lot of the pieces can be used in a lot of ways but I don't think I would miss it as much as the others.
Copious is offline Female
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #233
Webkinz :)
 
nicolee1978's Avatar
nicolee1978 is a WI addict!
nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!nicolee1978 is a WI addict!

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by Nereid
I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but it is possible that the retired theme could end up as replicas in the E-Store. That would give a bit of consolation for the pieces I am still missing, as well as free up space for newer rares and Ganz makes more money! Win-win-win!

the estore is not good for everyone. many kids cannot purchase items there and i personally cannot afford in this economy to buy only pixels if we keep buying replicas we will see a lot more hard to find items being retired and ending up in the estore.

webkinz is marketed as a educational safe site for kids. on of the aspects ganz uses in the promo for this is the idea of saving kinzcash and making purchases. more saying means more/better items. the estore doesn't give kids access to that learning experience.
nicolee1978 is offline Female
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #234
hoa, I'm
Gifted
 
leahsmom's Avatar
leahsmom is just really niceleahsmom is just really nice

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by suzee
Now Ganz is going to retire one of the Rare Themes. Why? Arte offers a "RARE" item once in a while. For me it's not easy to collect the RARES. I can't be online all day every day,
suzee
Suzee, I totally agree. I work all day and I think it took me over a year to get one theme totally collected. Esp when you can only buy one item at a time. So if new people just joined and they are trying to collect, they are the ones being hurt by the retirement. Plus the new theme is very expensive.
leahsmom is offline Female
Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #235
Gift Guru
 
Learned Hand's Avatar
Learned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by Tula
I really agree they have flooded the rare market in WW and it was getting old. I rarely even get anyone interested in a rare in the clubhouse.
Huh. I trade away rares like hotcakes in the clubhouse. Now, I don't ask as much for them as the WIGEV would indicate, so that may be part of it, but I seldom have any trouble getting trades for rares.

It is true that the newer rares are much easier to trade of course. Right now you can trade away Persian rares like nobody's business, and the princess rares are fairly easy to trade. The others depend more on the individual person you are dealing with.

View Post Originally Posted by alleine

But I also agree this could be a marketing experiment to release the retired items in the eStore, possibly as "replicas" as they have been doing with other "retired" themes lately.
I am confident that they will do this. There is no way that they will make replicas of stuff like Glam Boutique and not of a retired rare theme.

Last edited by Learned Hand; 04-18-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Learned Hand is offline Male
Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #236
Yello?
Webkinz :)
 
Footontable's Avatar
Footontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonder

Talking Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by luvwebkinz
I'll bet it's the science theme, bet ya, bet ya!

Click the image to open in full size.
i agree!!
Footontable is offline Male
Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #237
Gift Guru
 
Learned Hand's Avatar
Learned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by dolphin95
Thank you, WI, for keeping us so informed!

That being said, she really, really wants the ancient wading pool. We just barely missed our chance to get it from Arte's in January, and he has not offered it since. When I told her that Webkinz was retiring a rare theme, she just said she hoped they didn't retire that "special pool" she wanted.
You should join the Gifted program here at WI. You will be able to get any missing rares you need as soon as you graduate from the training section. Rares are extremely easy to get from other gifted traders. They are the low item on the totem pole in terms of what most people in the gifted section want, so if you are willing to trade other types of items for them, you can get them basically instantly. It is so different once you are in the gifted program. I remember when I was waiting to join the program and while I was in the training section that I was so frustrated that I couldn't get the Egyptian walls. An experienced trader just flat out gave me a set within about a half hour of my first posting my gift exchange in the gifted section. I see that you already have fifty posts, so just make another ten or so, and go apply.
Learned Hand is offline Male
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #238
allthatshimmerz
Webkinz :)
 
allthatshimmerz's Avatar
allthatshimmerz has disabled reputation

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme

View Post Originally Posted by lilkinzmom7
OMG, bye bye Medieval! I don't think there's a science dining table. Oh no, I just loved those stone walls and floors...very useful for many different rooms.
I love those stone walls and floors too!! I went crazy stocking up on them when they were in the Curio Shop this past weekend.
allthatshimmerz is offline Female
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #239
Gift Guru
 
Learned Hand's Avatar
Learned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by Dixiecup
I dunno 'bout that, D-Bird. I am still putting my money on the Ancient Civs theme. More because I know that the original 3 are still available through the Trading card codes in Series one. (This is how I got hooked on the rares I started with an Egyptian vanity chair, Golden Hippo fridge and a Kooky Scientist Thoughtful Think Tank)
Also, as far as we know, no one has unlocked the GRAND PRIZE from the Series one trading cards which is a FULL EGYPTIAN unlock.
My money says as long as there are Trading card codes for Series 1 (and there are LOTS, I just ordered some through the retailer's site) Those rares will still exist. Those codes, though random, are still somewhat pre-destined to be those rares, otherwise we would see TC2, 3 and 4 prizes in them.
I don't think this logic holds. When they retire the set it is not like they are destroying the code for the rares, all retirement means is that the theme will be removed from the curio shop rotation. Think of it like a database (which is all Webkinz really is):

Science Theme
Rare 1 - gobblydook code 1
Rare 2- gobblydook code 2
Rare 3- gobblydook code 3
Rare 4- gobblydook code 4
Rare 5- gobblydook code 5

Egyptian Theme
Rare 1 - gobblydook code 1a
Rare 2- gobblydook code 2a
Rare 3- gobblydook code 3a
Rare 4- gobblydook code 4a
Rare 5- gobblydook code 5a

The Gobblydook codes contain the information on the name of the item, the art, and the functionality of the item (roughly - bed, fridge, counter, container, chair, rug, none).

They can't destroy the gobblydook code when they retire an item, or everyone who owns one would lose theirs. All they do is stop telling parts of the database to go look for those codes in the database.

So for the curio shop the programming says something like:

Curio shop: Choose random rare from themes: Science, Egyptian, Medieval, Aztec, Ancient Civilization, No theme, Persian, Pink Princess

Deluxe Curio Shop: Science, Egyptian, Medieval, Aztec, Ancient Civilization, No theme, Persian, Persian, Pink Princess, Pink Princess (to make it more likely to come up one of the new themes)

All they do when they retire a theme is take out the name of the theme they are retiring from the themes the curio shop is allowed to look at, so that now the new code looks like:

Curio shop: Choose random rare from themes: Egyptian, Medieval, Aztec, Ancient Civilization, No theme, Persian, Pink Princess

And, Viola, Science is retired. It still exists on everyone's account because the gobblydook code still exists. The only thing that is different is that the curio shop no longer looks at that theme when picking rares to sell.

When you buy a pack of cards and get a code that allows you to get an Egyptian or Science theme item all that happens is that the database knows that your WW code that you enter at the code shop allows you to get access to Science rare 1 gobblydook code. In other words WW code WW55-5555-5555-5555 = Gobblydook code 4a, and now magically you have an Egyptian bed. The curio shop is not involved at all. It is just the database looking up the code for the item in the list of items that exist on WW.

So, I don't think the existence of trading card codes matters at all in a programming way for which theme will be retired because they are just two independent ways of making the database look at the list of all items that exist. They are not interrelated at all.

You could make the argument that Webkinz might not want to retire a theme that exists on trading cards because they don't want people to get retired items from booster packs. I don't find that argument very persuasive, but it is a different argument from the one that it would be in some way hard for them to do it because of a relationship between the curio shop and the trading cards.

I personally believe that the Science theme will be the one that they retire. They have a consistent pattern in their retirements and introduction of new themes of trying to boost the artistic quality of the art on WW. Each new theme they introduce is of a higher artistic quality than the average items on WW. Each theme that they retire is of a lower artistic quality than is average on WW. In this way, they keep improving the overall look of WW. This is their consistent pattern when they retire W-shop themes and when they introduce W-shop or rare themes.

Go look at the rare themes and compare them in artistic quality:
(Picture Gallery) Rare Items - Webkinz Insider Wiki

Which theme stands out? Science, and after that Medieval. I mean, the Manic Monitor art is just embarrassing. The Incubation chamber and Super Secret Trapdoor Toybox are not very impressive either. Compare the art to the Persian or Palace Princess themes. That is the level they want of their art, not the sometimes crude stuff that went before.

While I think that art is the critical thing they go by, they also tend to retire older stuff before newer stuff, at least in terms of online only objects. This argues in favor Egyptian, Medieval, or Science.

It is unfortunate that many of their early bad art themes were the themes that particularly interested boys. I hope they do something to offset this. It is certainly irksome that they introduced a new girly theme and look like they are going to retire the only really boyish theme very shortly after that. I hope they do something about this. Whether they do or not though, they have a consistent dedication to improving the artistic look of WW, which I don't expect to change, and which I am happy about.
Learned Hand is offline Male
Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #240
Supermanfan2
Webkinz :)
 
WebkinzFrenzy's Avatar
WebkinzFrenzy is a jewel in the roughWebkinzFrenzy is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: More Clues on Retiring Theme, It's a Rare Theme!

View Post Originally Posted by animalover48
Going by when they all were intoduced, I bet they're going to be retiring the Ancient Civilization one, it's the oldest.
The reason that Egyptian, Science, and Medieval are not dated is because as far as rares go, they always existed. They were the original rares, nothing predates them.

View Post Originally Posted by Learned Hand
I don't think this logic holds. When they retire the set it is not like they are destroying the code for the rares, all retirement means is that the theme will be removed from the curio shop rotation. Think of it like a database (which is all Webkinz really is):

Science Theme
Rare 1 - gobblydook code 1
Rare 2- gobblydook code 2
Rare 3- gobblydook code 3
Rare 4- gobblydook code 4
Rare 5- gobblydook code 5

Egyptian Theme
Rare 1 - gobblydook code 1a
Rare 2- gobblydook code 2a
Rare 3- gobblydook code 3a
Rare 4- gobblydook code 4a
Rare 5- gobblydook code 5a

The Gobblydook codes contain the information on the name of the item, the art, and the functionality of the item (roughly - bed, fridge, counter, container, chair, rug, none).

They can't destroy the gobblydook code when they retire an item, or everyone who owns one would lose theirs. All they do is stop telling parts of the database to go look for those codes in the database.

So for the curio shop the programming says something like:

Curio shop: Choose random rare from themes: Science, Egyptian, Medieval, Aztec, Ancient Civilization, No theme, Persian, Pink Princess

Deluxe Curio Shop: Science, Egyptian, Medieval, Aztec, Ancient Civilization, No theme, Persian, Persian, Pink Princess, Pink Princess (to make it more likely to come up one of the new themes)

All they do when they retire a theme is take out the name of the theme they are retiring from the themes the curio shop is allowed to look at, so that now the new code looks like:

Curio shop: Choose random rare from themes: Egyptian, Medieval, Aztec, Ancient Civilization, No theme, Persian, Pink Princess

And, Viola, Science is retired. It still exists on everyone's account because the gobblydook code still exists. The only thing that is different is that the curio shop no longer looks at that theme when picking rares to sell.

When you buy a pack of cards and get a code that allows you to get an Egyptian or Science theme item all that happens is that the database knows that your WW code that you enter at the code shop allows you to get access to Science rare 1 gobblydook code. In other words WW code WW55-5555-5555-5555 = Gobblydook code 4a, and now magically you have an Egyptian bed. The curio shop is not involved at all. It is just the database looking up the code for the item in the list of items that exist on WW.

So, I don't think the existence of trading card codes matters at all in a programming way for which theme will be retired because they are just two independent ways of making the database look at the list of all items that exist. They are not interrelated at all.

You could make the argument that Webkinz might not want to retire a theme that exists on trading cards because they don't want people to get retired items from booster packs. I don't find that argument very persuasive, but it is a different argument from the one that it would be in some way hard for them to do it because of a relationship between the curio shop and the trading cards.

I personally believe that the Science theme will be the one that they retire. They have a consistent pattern in their retirements and introduction of new themes of trying to boost the artistic quality of the art on WW. Each new theme they introduce is of a higher artistic quality than the average items on WW. Each theme that they retire is of a lower artistic quality than is average on WW. In this way, they keep improving the overall look of WW. This is their consistent pattern when they retire W-shop themes and when they introduce W-shop or rare themes.

Go look at the rare themes and compare them in artistic quality:
(Picture Gallery) Rare Items - Webkinz Insider Wiki

Which theme stands out? Science, and after that Medieval. I mean, the Manic Monitor art is just embarrassing. The Incubation chamber and Super Secret Trapdoor Toybox are not very impressive either. Compare the art to the Persian or Palace Princess themes. That is the level they want of their art, not the sometimes crude stuff that went before.

While I think that art is the critical thing they go by, they also tend to retire older stuff before newer stuff, at least in terms of online only objects. This argues in favor Egyptian, Medieval, or Science.

It is unfortunate that many of their early bad art themes were the themes that particularly interested boys. I hope they do something to offset this. It is certainly irksome that they introduced a new girly theme and look like they are going to retire the only really boyish theme very shortly after that. I hope they do something about this. Whether they do or not though, they have a consistent dedication to improving the artistic look of WW, which I don't expect to change, and which I am happy about.




To simplify your explanation, they retired unicorns, but when you buy one on eBay and input the code, you have a unicorn on your account. Trading cards would be the same, unaffected by retirement.
I think that might help the sales of trading cards if they retired one of the first three. But I disagree with your art quality opinion.
The science theme is creative and has a lot of detail to it, beakers and crazy dream inducing beds and robotic hand tables.
However, the Egyptian and Aztec themes are disastrous. Too few details and no real art to the Egyptian theme, only a few interesting ornate pieces, whereas the bureau and the the scribe desk look like they are made of dirt, they are so boring and poorly designed it saddened me to even put them in my Egyptian room.
And the Aztec room? Who on earth decided that the entire color wheel for blue and purple should be melted together in to one disgusting set of wallpaper and floors? There is nothing at all appealing about those walls and floors. The Aztec items are a completely different color group and look like you stuck them in the wrong room. The walls should have more of a polished sandstone quality with some colorful etchings, matching the red and turquoise hues in the furnishings. I think it will be one of those two themes that retires as they are both poor examples of Ganz's creative ability.

Last edited by WebkinzFrenzy; 04-19-2010 at 03:19 AM..
WebkinzFrenzy is offline Female
Closed

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Kopi Enterprises, LLC
WebkinzInsider.Com is not an official site of, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Ganz, Inc, Webkinz, Lil'Kinz, or Kinzville Newz and all character names, logos, and images are trademarks owned by Ganz, Inc.
no new posts