Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!


Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #191
FathomlessAbyss
Webkinz :)
 
FathomlessAbyss's Avatar
FathomlessAbyss is on a distinguished road

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

View Post Originally Posted by webkinzmomof4
If you don't like how Ganz has handled this, the you open your own game website and you can let others profit off your hard work. Ganz does not have to!
This statement is a little overboard. The point of the post was merely about perspective on what some fans do to gain advantage in collecting items. I don't think the original author endorsed letting others profit off someone else's work.

Keep in mind that Ganz is also walking a fine line here; to ban EVERYONE who has duplicate items or bought virtual items might also cost them a lot of money. While technically it's true that Ganz has established the right to buy and sell its virtual wares, I very much doubt they intend to be so draconian about it.

Understandably, Ganz needs to get rid of the hackers and duplicators. But on the other hand, I would think that they want to preserve that sense of fanaticism that drives some of its consumers to trade for suspiciously rare items or actually pay for someone else's virtual items. Should they punish all buyers or anyone who traded honestly for duplicated items, they risk eliminating or offending those kinds of fanatics who spend a lot of time and money on the game.

What would it cost Ganz if they outright canned a bunch of these people? Do you think they are willing to find out? This is capitalism after all; sometimes there is value in letting sleeping dogs lie.
FathomlessAbyss is offline Male Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #192
ow! God is
Gifted
 
Jerkinz's Avatar
Jerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

View Post Originally Posted by phoebedad
Wow! Got anger? I do not believe that I bad-mouthed Ganz at all, just questioned how they are affected by me buying items from someone that does not want to play anymore. And no, you are completely off base when you somehow come to the argument that Ganz profits from us setting up multiple accounts. If you were to think about this, I mean actually think, you would realize that Ganz does not profit, and in fact has to upgrade their memory or buy extra servers to maintain a larger platform in order to maintain all the extra accounts in the system. And again, I mentioned specifically that I currently play 9 accounts.

And only members that were here from the beginning should be allowed to own the original items? That sounds a little pretentious and exclusive to me. No, I would rather agree with a post a little farther down that mentions garage sales and used car dealers for the second-hand sale of used items.

The only thing is, when you sign up for Webkinz, you agree to abide by their rules. In those rules it states you MAY NOT resell their items. Ganz could sue these people for doing this (the sellers) but no they don't, all they're doing is closing their accounts. And you are aware they do collect profits right? Otherwise they would shut the site down.

View Post Originally Posted by FathomlessAbyss
This statement is a little overboard. The point of the post was merely about perspective on what some fans do to gain advantage in collecting items. I don't think the original author endorsed letting others profit off someone else's work.

Quote:
I personally do not see what Ganz loses by us selling virtual items on auction sites
Seems to me like they are.


Keep in mind that Ganz is also walking a fine line here; to ban EVERYONE who has duplicate items or bought virtual items might also cost them a lot of money. While technically it's true that Ganz has established the right to buy and sell its virtual wares, I very much doubt they intend to be so draconian about it. Understandably, Ganz needs to get rid of the hackers and duplicators. But on the other hand, I would think that they want to preserve that sense of fanaticism that drives some of its consumers to trade for suspiciously rare items or actually pay for someone else's virtual items. Should they punish all buyers or anyone who traded honestly for duplicated items, they risk eliminating or offending those kinds of fanatics who spend a lot of time and money on the game.


Actually they are not banning members who have traded for these duped items just the duplicaters and anyone who was caught buying them with actual money.

What would it cost Ganz if they outright canned a bunch of these people? Do you think they are willing to find out? This is capitalism after all; sometimes there is value in letting sleeping dogs lie.

Value to the duplicaters.

Last edited by Jerkinz; 10-26-2009 at 02:36 PM..
Jerkinz is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #193
Lil Kinz
 
tzugirl2000's Avatar
tzugirl2000 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

Quote:
I personally do not see what Ganz loses by us selling virtual items on auction sites

View Post Originally Posted by Jerkinz
Seems to me like they are


Perception and reality are two different things my dear.....exactly what line item does that "loss" hit on the income statement anyway? Line item "wah! someone bought my virtual and resold it for more money expense"? Nope - I'm pretty sure there isn't a line for that one anywhere on the 1040S. Econ 101 - Basic supply and demand. Sounds like a pricing issue.

That said - if your argument held true that they "loose money" off of the second tier entrepenuers, then from that perspective, at some point they might make attempts to close down this website as well. None of us would want to see that happen. Walking that fine line child …......
tzugirl2000 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #194
ow! God is
Gifted
 
Jerkinz's Avatar
Jerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

Quote:
Quote:
I personally do not see what Ganz loses by us selling virtual items on auction sites
Seems to me like they are


View Post Originally Posted by tzugirl2000

Perception and reality are two different things my dear.....exactly what line item does that "loss" hit on the income statement anyway? Line item "wah! someone bought my virtual and resold it for more money expense"? Nope - I'm pretty sure there isn't a line for that one anywhere on the 1040S. Econ 101 - Basic supply and demand. Sounds like a pricing issue.

I was simply responding that they think it's ok to profit off someone else's work because they said the other person never said that. Ooh just thought of something! Here you go:

You create 500 paintings only available to those who buy a subscription to your site.

Mr. Duper then goes "Wah it's not fair some got them and others didn't" so he goes and makes hundreds of duplicates WITH NO PERMISSION WHATSOEVER! And makes thousands of dollars off of it.

You then cancel his subscrition to your newsletter and take back the painting you gave him and any reproductions he made.

Mr. Duper then says: "It's not fair I can't profit off of someone's blood sweat and tears! Wah Wah Wah!"

That said - if your argument held true that they "loose money" off of the second tier entrepenuers, then from that perspective, at some point they might make attempts to close down this website as well. None of us would want to see that happen. Walking that fine line child …......

I see no reason why they would, WI makes no profit, Insiderx2 subscriptions go to pay for server cost that's all.

Think I've made my point.

Last edited by Jerkinz; 10-26-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Jerkinz is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #195
catman2505
Webkinz :)
 
catman2505's Avatar
catman2505 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

ok......? i bet they never have banned people lol
catman2505 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #196
ow! God is
Gifted
 
Jerkinz's Avatar
Jerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

View Post Originally Posted by catman2505
ok......? i bet they never have banned people lol
Ganz has banned plenty of people, some WI members friends have been banned, thankfully I don't think any WI members themselves have.
Jerkinz is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #197
Webkinz :)
 
tarayvonne's Avatar
tarayvonne challenges the impossibletarayvonne challenges the impossible
tarayvonne challenges the impossibletarayvonne challenges the impossibletarayvonne challenges the impossibletarayvonne challenges the impossible

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

Just keep releasing retired items in the estore for sale...poof! Problem solved. If everyone can get them by buying them for a reasonable price directly from Ganz then second party sales vanish. Why pay $50 for something you can buy in the estore for $5-6? Elitist collectors will have a fit because now their priceless item is worth less...but shouldn't we all remember that this is in fact a kid's site? How many little boys were recently made very happy because they were able to get a blue dragster that they couldn't get before? The only fair way is for these items to be available to all, whether insane collectors agree or not. Forget the adult approach, "I've got something better than you!" and look at it from a child's perspective. The site was made for kids, now being ruined in spirit by adults. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my daughter kinzpost something she loves to a friend because she wants to share what she has selflessly-knowing full well that she might not get another. That should have always been the spirit of this game-not what it has become. Share, care, fair. I have given away every extra rare I get to people I meet. I do not hoard them in rooms waiting for their value to go up. I send them on to others who have less than me. It makes me happy to know somewhere out there someone is happy because of me. I wish everyone could feel the same and then maybe we wouldn't be having this problem
tarayvonne is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #198
ow! God is
Gifted
 
Jerkinz's Avatar
Jerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clownJerkinz is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

View Post Originally Posted by tarayvonne
Just keep releasing retired items in the estore for sale...poof! Problem solved. If everyone can get them by buying them for a reasonable price directly from Ganz then second party sales vanish. Why pay $50 for something you can buy in the estore for $5-6? Elitist collectors will have a fit because now their priceless item is worth less...but shouldn't we all remember that this is in fact a kid's site? How many little boys were recently made very happy because they were able to get a blue dragster that they couldn't get before? The only fair way is for these items to be available to all, whether insane collectors agree or not. Forget the adult approach, "I've got something better than you!" and look at it from a child's perspective. The site was made for kids, now being ruined in spirit by adults. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my daughter kinzpost something she loves to a friend because she wants to share what she has selflessly-knowing full well that she might not get another. That should have always been the spirit of this game-not what it has become. Share, care, fair. I have given away every extra rare I get to people I meet. I do not hoard them in rooms waiting for their value to go up. I send them on to others who have less than me. It makes me happy to know somewhere out there someone is happy because of me. I wish everyone could feel the same and then maybe we wouldn't be having this problem
I totally agree with you, REP for you!
Jerkinz is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #199
VaryK
Gifted
Vary will become famous soon enough

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

View Post Originally Posted by tzugirl2000
Quote:
I personally do not see what Ganz loses by us selling virtual items on auction sites



Perception and reality are two different things my dear.....exactly what line item does that "loss" hit on the income statement anyway? Line item "wah! someone bought my virtual and resold it for more money expense"? Nope - I'm pretty sure there isn't a line for that one anywhere on the 1040S. Econ 101 - Basic supply and demand. Sounds like a pricing issue.
I'd have thought it was obvious: money that people spend on buying hard-to-find virtual items 'secondhand' is frequently money they won't spend buying legit Webkinz merch. But whether Ganz loses money or not is irrelevant; per the user agreement, the items on your account belong to Ganz, not you. It's their game, the pixels are their pixels, so if they say you can't buy and sell those virtual items, you can't, and they're within their rights to terminate your account if they're able to verify that you did. We can trade to our hearts' content, but we can't exchange virtual Webkinz items for anything but other virtual Webkinz items.
View Post Originally Posted by tzugirl2000
That said - if your argument held true that they "loose money" off of the second tier entrepenuers, then from that perspective, at some point they might make attempts to close down this website as well. None of us would want to see that happen. Walking that fine line child …......
Apples and oranges. This site walks the fair use line quite well, and even if Ganz was stupid enough to try to take legal action to force the site to close, I don't think they'd have much grounds. WI deals in information, not virtual items, and not Ganz's actual intellectual property. It is not the same thing as buying and selling items that per the the UA are not yours to buy and sell.

Last edited by Vary; 10-26-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Vary is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #200
FathomlessAbyss
Webkinz :)
 
FathomlessAbyss's Avatar
FathomlessAbyss is on a distinguished road

Default Re: EXCLUSIVE: Ganz's Official Statement On Account Bannings in Webkinz World!

[QUOTE=Jerkinz;16934989]
What would it cost Ganz if they outright canned a bunch of these people? Do you think they are willing to find out? This is capitalism after all; sometimes there is value in letting sleeping dogs lie.
Value to the duplicaters.
[QUOTE=Jerkinz;16934989]

You miss my point. Duplicators should be banned; therefore, they are not part of the equation.

In the end, Ganz wants to keep as many of their customers, do they not? And yes, some customers don't exactly play by the rules, and for those fringe players who may have traded for a suspicious wintermint bed or have bought something off an auction site, they are technically in violation of Ganz's virtual items policies and are at risk of having their accounts taken away. My point is that Ganz is proabably avoiding the punishment of many of these people because they are exactly the kind of consumers worth keeping; while they may be rulebreakers, they are also money-spending, time-spending consumers. Ganz probably wants to redirect their enthusiasm to play and purchase by the rules, not get rid of them entirely, or encourage them to go to someone else's "own game website."
FathomlessAbyss is offline Male Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
code wowewe, dudeness was here (:, frugal!, gp was here!, hurricanes, icky hackers, their serious people!!!!!

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Kopi Enterprises, LLC
WebkinzInsider.Com is not an official site of, sponsored by, nor affiliated with Ganz, Inc, Webkinz, Lil'Kinz, or Kinzville Newz and all character names, logos, and images are trademarks owned by Ganz, Inc.
no new posts