Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
MrsPanda
Webkinz :)

MrsPanda is on a distinguished road

Default Re: April is Autism Awareness Month

Oh wow - great ideas! I'm going to go buy a new pet tomorrow and give him an autism awareness name! Hopefully, I can find a BLUE pet too - that would make it perfect! Hugs to all the Autism families out there!!!
MrsPanda is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #22

Lambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contest
Lambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contestLambchop77 could win a popularity contest

For my brother a cure would be a blessing. He can not speak, nor take care of himself. They have said he will always have the mind of a toddler. So for those who are much lower functioning, a cure is all we pray for. We have to remember how huge the spectrum can be, and how it can greatly effect others differently. Sadly not all will be able to live productive lives.

I'll be sure to look in to the parades, sounds like a great idea!
Lambchop77 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #23

Gwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of the people that believes that The Autism Spectrum should be defined / separated more.
I feel that Aspergers should be used for those with mild Autistic traits that can live independantly & attend schools as other children. That that mild to sever Autism(high functioning to low functioning) should be applied to those who need some or full assistant.
A child can move from one diagnosis to the other based on progress.
I also don't think doctors should presume intelligence of the "lower functioning" Autistics. Since in many cases especially the non verbal they have NO idea really what the individuals mind is capable of. Only the individuals ability to connect with the world outside themselves.
The most important thing to me is to remember that like everyone they are individuals who are precious to God who need to be loved & accepted for who they are & to never give up or underestimated what they can or will do. ♥
Gwenda is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
estrellaSMC
Gifted

Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!Gypsy is not just visiting!

One idea I'd had that's related to the giving your pets an autism awareness name is, if you're like me and like giving your pets human names, you can look up information on what famous people are suspected to have had autism and name a pet after one of them.
Gypsy is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
hi

tigerdove is a WIzard
tigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzard

View Post Originally Posted by Centex Homes 1
I would of done this, i don't know how to get it He.P. related and i own no blue Webkinz.
your webkinz doesn't have to be blue, you can just dress it in blue
tigerdove is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #26
OST

alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!

Here is a thread for sharing more Autism Awareness graphics!

http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...-share-687060/

Please stop by and check them out, and post anything you are willing to share with others!

View Post Originally Posted by Gypsy
That explains why I never heard of it. I don't follow that organization because they're all about 'curing' Autism. I have a learning difference on the Autism Spectrum (Asperger's Syndrome) and I don't want to be cured. Looking for a 'cure' to me suggests that there is something wrong with people with Autism. I personally don't believe there is anything wrong with us. We're just different than non-autistics, that's all. Despite what most people seem to believe, different doesn't mean bad. It's just different. Asperger's is part of what makes me who I am and, while I struggle with it, I don't want it taken away. Don't get me wrong, I love that WI is working on raising awareness, but what my wish is for raising awareness is that awareness would bring understanding and acceptance for people with Autism instead of making people want to 'cure' it like Autism Speaks wants to do.
Thank-you for posting!
Instead of trying to cure Autism, we need to work on curing ourselves of the need to "fix" things that are different.

View Post Originally Posted by Lambchop77
For my brother a cure would be a blessing. He can not speak, nor take care of himself. They have said he will always have the mind of a toddler. So for those who are much lower functioning, a cure is all we pray for. We have to remember how huge the spectrum can be, and how it can greatly effect others differently. Sadly not all will be able to live productive lives.

I'll be sure to look in to the parades, sounds like a great idea!
Then you just need to change your perception of "productive"!

Even a severely developmentally delayed Autistic individual can do independent things and have a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Even if all he can do is volunteer a couple days a week at a local library collecting the recycling. Even if he needs someone to do it with him to get all the steps in order! Any acheivable goal is a success story.

Maybe he will never go to college, drive a car, or get married. Who decided that those should be every individual's life goals? I bet there are a lot of other things in life that will give him joy and fulfillment if he's given opportunities, and not overprotected or kept from the community.

Don't cry for what he cannot do. Clap for what he can.

Last edited by alleine; 04-03-2011 at 01:22 AM..
alleine is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
Autism Awareness

Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness
Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by alleine
Don't cry for what he cannot do. Clap for what he can.
I think I am going to blow that up big and put it on my fridge!!
Electrabuzz1 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #28
hi

tigerdove is a WIzard
tigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzardtigerdove is a WIzard

View Post Originally Posted by Electrabuzz1
I think I am going to blow that up big and put it on my fridge!!
yeah it's a good saying! i'll remember that for my future children!
tigerdove is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #29

Gwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond reputeGwenda has a reputation beyond repute

we need to work on curing ourselves of the need to "fix" things that are different.

Amen to that!!!

Also they don't want "friends" that are being their "friend"just because they different so they can feel good about themselves cuz they're nice to the autistic kid, tourettes kid, or whoever. They want real friends, true acceptance, & to be included just like everyone else.How many kids will act friendly but not invite them to things like birthday parties or sleepovers or whatever.

With that being said , There is a Huge difference in the "Spectrum".
There are those who are on the very sever end of the spectrum. Of course those who love them want & pray for healing. No one knows how they feel unless they've been there. Of course they want to be able to communicate with them,To see them smile or hear them laugh... To not have to change their childs diapers at twelve. To not have to worry who will take care of their child if or when they die. Some sever cases of Autism that have made amazing progress say that it was like being a prisoner in their own bodies.To compare Aspergers or high functioning to low functioning is apples & oranges.

Please bear in mind, when supporting Autism Awareness it's not just the individual that needs support,understanding,kindness & acceptance it's the WHOLE family. EVERY case is a unique as the individuals involved.
Gwenda is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
OST

alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!alleine is not just visiting!

View Post Originally Posted by Gwenda
With that being said , There is a Huge difference in the "Spectrum". There are those who are on the very sever end of the spectrum. Of course those who love them want & pray for healing. No one knows how they feel unless they've been there. Of course they want to be able to communicate with them,To see them smile or hear them laugh... To not have to change their childs diapers at twelve. To not have to worry who will take care of their child if or when they die. Some sever cases of Autism that have made amazing progress say that it was like being a prisoner in their own bodies.To compare Aspergers or high functioning to low functioning is apples & oranges.

Please bear in mind, when supporting Autism Awareness it's not just the individual that needs support,understanding,kindness & acceptance it's the WHOLE family. EVERY case is a unique as the individuals involved.
Yes, the "don't cry for what he cannot do, clap for what he can" is just a simplified motto.
At the extreme end of the spectrum, of course you are mounful there are things they will never experience, worry for the fact that they will always have to rely on others, and feel pained that they struggle in a world that is less understanding than it should be.
It's more 'look on the bright side whenever you can', not 'there is nothing to be sad about'.
alleine is offline Female Reply With Quote

Tags
tigerdove excited, tigerdove is here

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: