Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > WI News & Announcements

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #151
Gifted

RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!RiddleMeThis is the cats pajamas!

Default Re: April is Autism Awareness Month

View Post Originally Posted by KinzDiva
I think a t-shirt is even better because it brings awareness to people around you everyday! My son who is in Elementary School has a t-shirt that he loves to wear regaring Autism. It says, "I get flappy when I get happy!" and has a pic of a bird on it. He says his "flapping" makes him "weird" but when I ask him why he doesn't stop doing it he says, "what? I was born like that" ! Hard to argue there.

I've had t-shirts made for him since he was an infant because he acted so outrageous! I'm a single mom and no one EVER bothered to help me when he was in meltdown screaming and biting and 45 lbs. of fury until the FIRST DAY he wore a t-shirt to the park that said, "I have Autism, what's your excuse?" That is the first time another mom came up to me and offered to carry the sand toys to the car for me because he was in such despair. It was the first time anyone ever reached out to us instead of sitting and judging us. I will never forget it, and I firmly believe what goes around comes around, she should be blessed a million times over because she made such a precious mark on my son and I.

Go with the t-shirt, it will speak to more people than you will anticipate.
Okay, I cried reading your post. I love the flappy/ happy shirt. I've also seen the other autism shirts, and I think if it gets awareness out there, more power to those who wear it. But it's amazing that it takes the awareness for people to reach out. Autism is so prevalent now that more people should at least give a child the benefit of the doubt that they can't control their behavior. I was tempted to buy my sone the apraxia shirt that says "just because he can't speak doesn't mean he has nothing to say". There's also another great one that reads "I've learned alot about people from my (autistic, apraxic, special needs) child. More than I could've ever imagined." Really makes you stop and think.

I mentioned earlier that my son has apraxia (he also has mild sensory integration disorder). With apraxia, he knows the words he wants to say, but he can't make his mouth move the way it has to in order to form those words. When he was 2.5 years old, he had under 10 sounds (most without opening his mouth). The average child that age has over 300 words. With a few years of therapy, he's come a long way.

There are a lot of special needs kids we know, including both of mine. My daughter understands about most children around us, but not kids in general. She spent weeks talking about "bad Vinny" in her class. Vinny interrupts. Vinny won't sit down and listen. A few weeks later, she came home saying "Mrs. xxxx says we have to help show Vinny how to behave, but he's bad". My heart broke when I met Vinny, and realized that he's not "bad", he has autism, and some of his behavior was stimming, but other children don't see that. I explained to her that he was not "bad", he was a little different (she's a little different, so she gets it), and that we had to be nice and do everything we can to help him. He eventually left her class. I hope that she remembers him in the future, so that she is not so quick to judge people that might be different.
RiddleMeThis is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #152
az up Doc?
Webkinz :)

KinzDiva is the cats pajamas!KinzDiva is the cats pajamas!KinzDiva is the cats pajamas!KinzDiva is the cats pajamas!KinzDiva is the cats pajamas!KinzDiva is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis
Okay, I cried reading your post. I love the flappy/ happy shirt. I've also seen the other autism shirts, and I think if it gets awareness out there, more power to those who wear it. But it's amazing that it takes the awareness for people to reach out. Autism is so prevalent now that more people should at least give a child the benefit of the doubt that they can't control their behavior. I was tempted to buy my sone the apraxia shirt that says "just because he can't speak doesn't mean he has nothing to say". There's also another great one that reads "I've learned alot about people from my (autistic, apraxic, special needs) child. More than I could've ever imagined." Really makes you stop and think.

I mentioned earlier that my son has apraxia (he also has mild sensory integration disorder). With apraxia, he knows the words he wants to say, but he can't make his mouth move the way it has to in order to form those words. When he was 2.5 years old, he had under 10 sounds (most without opening his mouth). The average child that age has over 300 words. With a few years of therapy, he's come a long way.

There are a lot of special needs kids we know, including both of mine. My daughter understands about most children around us, but not kids in general. She spent weeks talking about "bad Vinny" in her class. Vinny interrupts. Vinny won't sit down and listen. A few weeks later, she came home saying "Mrs. xxxx says we have to help show Vinny how to behave, but he's bad". My heart broke when I met Vinny, and realized that he's not "bad", he has autism, and some of his behavior was stimming, but other children don't see that. I explained to her that he was not "bad", he was a little different (she's a little different, so she gets it), and that we had to be nice and do everything we can to help him. He eventually left her class. I hope that she remembers him in the future, so that she is not so quick to judge people that might be different.
There's so much I've learned by having a special needs child, but the most significant thing has been patience. Patience with him of course, but also patience with others. I finally realized after becoming a parent that I didn't know everything (shocker!) and that a little patience and empathy goes a long way. We never know what's going on in people's lives to make them act the way they do...children or adults.
KinzDiva is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #153
1Doglover12345

1Doglover has a spectacular aura about1Doglover has a spectacular aura about

hello people ! I am a person that autism! whoopie?!
1Doglover is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #154

LuvMyKids will become famous soon enough

I finally recieved my blue pet code!

As a mom of an autistic boy, it means the world to me to see all of the support generated by this movement! A HUGE thank you WI and its members!

Here is our new pet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpgAutism Awareness Ice Fawn.jpg (45.8 KB, 2 views)
LuvMyKids is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #155
Autism Awareness

Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness
Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness

ANOTHER AUTISM AWARENESS PARADE!!

ghibi9 is organizing another parade for this Friday evening!!
WHEN: Friday, April 30th at 6:30 ET
WHERE: Dark Blue Zone, Around Kinzville Park, Park # 25

If you are interested in participating and for updates please visit their thread:

http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...l#post19218008

Here are things you can shout:

Aw this am aware nest!
Light it up blue!
Help find the missing pieces!
Help find the missing pieces, won at a time!

pssst . . . pass it on!!!!!!!!
Electrabuzz1 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #156
Make your own LUCK
Gift Guru

funkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the rep
funkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the repfunkyc63 invented the rep

I forgot to post this earlier.........but I thought I would share my adoption

Please welcome........Autism Awareness !!

Click the image to open in full size.
funkyc63 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #157
Jdpeach

Exclamation Re: April is Autism Awareness Month

star whispers and funkyc63 I Jdpeach was the one who met you in the kinzville park as an emperor dragon named kung pao at the 6:30 30 of April. because I knew that some would show only in kc. Thanks for the time. It was great. If any of you missed it It was great pics here
Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #158
Jdpeach

View Post Originally Posted by funkyc63
I forgot to post this earlier.........but I thought I would share my adoption

Please welcome........Autism Awareness !!

Click the image to open in full size.
Although you arrived late thanks for the time. Autisim awareness. ;-)
KUNG PAO.
Aka jdpeach.

Tags
dudeness was here (:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: