Webkinz Insider Forum

Webkinz Insider Forum (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/)
-   WI News & Announcements (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/wi-news-announcements-146/)
-   -   April is Autism Awareness Month (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/wi-news-announcements-146/april-autism-awareness-month-617226/)

JacksMom04-16-2010 09:45 PM

April is Autism Awareness Month

A new front page story has been added:

April is Autism Awareness Month

As some of you may know, April is Autism Awareness Month. Autism affects many people around the world, and many of our Webkinz Insider members are touched by this disorder among their family and friends, or even have it themself. If you meet someone with autism, they may appear odd to you -- but remember that they have their own special abilities, which often include being really good at online games like Webkinz!

In order to raise awareness about autism, some of our members have adopted special webkinz that happen to be blue, the color of autism awareness. They have named them "Autism Awareness", and you may see them in the clubhouse!

Shown here is KinzDiva's Blue Springtime Chick and ElectraBuzz1's blue Pucker Fish in the clubhouse:

If you would like to join this effort to raise awareness, you can buy a blue webkinz at our partner store. And make sure to stop by our discussion thread for members who are touched by all kinds of special needs. And last but not least, there is much more information about autism awareness and a "blue pet parade" in our Wiki.

WhiteCoco04-16-2010 09:51 PM

Re: April is Autism Awareness Month

Hey that's a good idea. Very thoughtful and inspiring! I have a blue googles and blue springtime chick, so I might due the same. Thanks guys :)

MissGnomie04-16-2010 09:54 PM

What a lovely idea! :)

WebkinzPie04-16-2010 09:56 PM

How nice! This is wonderful, a month for Autism Awareness.

animalover4804-16-2010 09:58 PM

Wow, that is really touching! Awesome that you've named your pets that!!!

Sharronmarie04-16-2010 09:59 PM

This is only my second post but when I saw the article on autism I had to write. My daughter is autistic and LOVES WEBKINZ!! They even use it in her special needs program. I am so touched that it is being recognized. How she loves her pets and how I love watching her. She has collected over 5,000 pieces of litter!! When she talks to other kids through her pet it improves her interaction in the "real" world. I see her confidence grow little by little. We will definitely be adopting a blue pet. My heart is full tonight just realizing how much work is being done on autism and how it is finally being recognized and dealt with. God Bless all those "special children" out there. They truly are special. Thank you all for your support.

Tula04-16-2010 10:03 PM

This is a wonderful idea! I have worked with children with autism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharronmarie (Post 19110234)
This is only my second post but when I saw the article on autism I had to write. My daughter is autistic and LOVES WEBKINZ!! They even use it in her special needs program. I am so touched that it is being recognized. How she loves her pets and how I love watching her. She has collected over 5,000 pieces of litter!! When she talks to other kids through her pet it improves her interaction in the "real" world. I see her confidence grow little by little. We will definitely be adopting a blue pet. My heart is full tonight just realizing how much work is being done on autism and how it is finally being recognized and dealt with. God Bless all those "special children" out there. They truly are special. Thank you all for your support.

This is so nice to read. I am so pleased this WW has helped your daughter. Thanks for sharing with us.

JacksMom04-16-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

What a wonderful story -- thanks for sharing!

WhiteCoco04-16-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Even though we all enjoy Webkinz, its good to see that such pure and true enjoyment comes out of it.

thinksharp04-16-2010 10:08 PM

Great idea! My son is autistic. Will any of the proceeds be donated?