Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
CMMama
Webkinz :)

scrapperkimmyd is on a distinguished road

Question Unanswered: Wondering something about this board...

Why do threads get closed so often? Is this not considered a place where things can be discussed? I read a thread and went to try out what it was talking about, then came back tonight to respond to it, but it was closed. Then I looked at at the other threads in that area, and they were all closed. So, no more discussing things allowed.

I'm a member on a bunch of other boards and this is the only one that regularly closes threads for no apparent reason. The other boards only close threads when they get a little...too heated.

I'm sure there must be some reason that discussions are frowned upon and threads closed so much here, but can some help me to understand the reasoning?

Thanks.
scrapperkimmyd is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
lost in the abyss
Gifted

melinda72 is a name known to allmelinda72 is a name known to allmelinda72 is a name known to all

Default Re: Wondering something about this board...

that is a good question .. i hope someone gives you an answer you seek .. I don't have one for you!!
melinda72 is offline Female
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
is so
Gifted

nidiamond is a name known to allnidiamond is a name known to allnidiamond is a name known to all

View Post Originally Posted by scrapperkimmyd
Why do threads get closed so often? Is this not considered a place where things can be discussed? I read a thread and went to try out what it was talking about, then came back tonight to respond to it, but it was closed. Then I looked at at the other threads in that area, and they were all closed. So, no more discussing things allowed.

I'm a member on a bunch of other boards and this is the only one that regularly closes threads for no apparent reason. The other boards only close threads when they get a little...too heated.

I'm sure there must be some reason that discussions are frowned upon and threads closed so much here, but can some help me to understand the reasoning?

Thanks.
Great question!?????????
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
aweicker
Gift Guru

Bonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud ofBonsai has much to be proud of

I'm not a mod, so I can't give a definitive answer... but here are my assumptions:

In the Somebody Help! section? Because people keep posting the same answer after it's already been posted 12 times. With the Gifted Training application requirements as they are, some people are tempted to get their 50 helpful posts in by simply echoing other people's responses. Closing the threads as soon as the question has been answered or the problem resolved helps solve that problem.

Plus, if the same old thread keeps getting bumped to the top with unnecessary or redundant posts, then new questions sometimes go unanswered, and fall off the first page. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 6 hour old, or even a 5 day old thread get bumped by someone who simply quotes another post and replies "yeah, what they said."

Once or twice, I've had a thread closed that I wish could have been discussed further... but overall, I think the closing of solved threads is an excellent policy for this type of forum.

All inactive threads - those with no new posts for 2 consecutive weeks - are automatically closed by the system... so if you're browsing back a few pages, most of the threads will have been closed automatically. Again, I assume it's done to prevent spamming and cluttering the front pages with irrelevant information. A lot of the posts on WI are time sensitive, and once an event or problem has passed, there's no reason for the thread to be bumped.

edited to add: Outside of Somebody Help/General Discussion? Sometimes, if a thread seems to cultivate bickering, rudeness, fighting, etc, it'll get closed simply because the mods don't have the time to police the conversation and delete/edit posts every 2 seconds. Same with threads that illicit (either explicitly, or just by their nature) the posting of personal information. ie: there's a poll about whether or not you're allowed to date. If a bunch of people start posting "No, not til I'm 14" or similar comments (ages/grades aren't allowed here,) the thread's likely going to end up closed or deleted.

Last edited by Bonsai; 09-23-2008 at 01:41 AM..
Bonsai is offline Female
Old 09-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #5

Ritzcracker is stuck on replay
Ritzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replayRitzcracker is stuck on replay

Threads also get closed if they are inactive for two weeks, that is if no one has posted anything on it.
Ritzcracker is offline Female
Old 09-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
Gift Guru

commodore has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by Bonsai
I'm not a mod, so I can't give a definitive answer... but here are my assumptions:

In the Somebody Help! section? Because people keep posting the same answer after it's already been posted 12 times. With the Gifted Training application requirements as they are, some people are tempted to get their 50 helpful posts in by simply echoing other people's responses. Closing the threads as soon as the question has been answered or the problem resolved helps solve that problem.

Plus, if the same old thread keeps getting bumped to the top with unnecessary or redundant posts, then new questions sometimes go unanswered, and fall off the first page. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a 6 hour old, or even a 5 day old thread get bumped by someone who simply quotes another post and replies "yeah, what they said."

Once or twice, I've had a thread closed that I wish could have been discussed further... but overall, I think the closing of solved threads is an excellent policy for this type of forum.

All inactive threads - those with no new posts for 2 consecutive weeks - are automatically closed by the system... so if you're browsing back a few pages, most of the threads will have been closed automatically. Again, I assume it's done to prevent spamming and cluttering the front pages with irrelevant information. A lot of the posts on WI are time sensitive, and once an event or problem has passed, there's no reason for the thread to be bumped.

edited to add: Outside of Somebody Help/General Discussion? Sometimes, if a thread seems to cultivate bickering, rudeness, fighting, etc, it'll get closed simply because the mods don't have the time to police the conversation and delete/edit posts every 2 seconds. Same with threads that illicit (either explicitly, or just by their nature) the posting of personal information. ie: there's a poll about whether or not you're allowed to date. If a bunch of people start posting "No, not til I'm 14" or similar comments (ages/grades aren't allowed here,) the thread's likely going to end up closed or deleted.
Thank you Bonsai, your answer is wonderful.

I'd also like to add, that if we come across a thread that is deemed inappropriate for WI, that thread will be closed.

Also if there are multiple threads of the same topic, we can merge the posts so there is one central thread.

- Commodore
commodore is offline Female
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
CMMama

scrapperkimmyd is on a distinguished road

Thank you! That makes more sense to me now.

The thread I was talking about didn't fit any of those descriptions, but at least now I have a better understanding.
scrapperkimmyd is offline Female
Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
is smitchellicious
Gift Guru

smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!smitchell is not just visiting!

Bonsai has the perfect answer - thanks Bonsai. This would be a good example ... the question was answered so no need to have people repeating it, then a staff member would close it. Less strain on the server.

Thanks for bring it up!
smitchell is offline Female
Closed