Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
-Alicia♥

teaandpizza defies all odds
teaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all odds

Question Answered: What is so bad about giving away your username?!!

Hello!
I would just like to know why giving away your username is sooo bad to some people. I know some people's parents won't let them, but some people say "I don't want to be hacked." You really can't be hacked if someone knows your username!! The only way someone can hack you is if they know your password. That would take forever, and if the got your password, they are EXTREMELY lucky. Anyways, it probably won't happen. Yes, I know there's that 0.0001 percent chance that they might guess it out of luck, but I just don't see it happening. Normally when someone is hacked, it is because they tell their friend their password, and their friend tells someone else, and BAM! you're hacked. Anyways, you must be missing out on all the prizes you could win! [in the contests category.] So please tell me!
Thanks,
-Tea
teaandpizza is offline Female
Best Answer - Posted by sajcwebin
Giving out your username does not mean that you will be hacked. But, it Does make it more likely. Even if it is only Very, Very, slightly more likely, some people would rather not take the risk. Other activities combined with giving out your username can also increase the chances of hacking. For example, if you regularly chat with people, any personal info you give them can be something they can test as your password. If you talk to someone about your pets, etc., they could try those names as your password if they also know your username. This usually takes a lot of patience on the part of the hacker, and it still requires some luck, but some people will try it anyway.

It's best not to give your username to anyone if you don't need to for some reason. And be careful to choose a Really good password that could never be mentioned in casual conversation. Then NEVER give your password to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Banned
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence

Default Re: What is so bad about giving away your username?!!

Actually, I think it is possible to get your account hacked by just giving out your username... (not meaning to scare anyone, and I could be wrong...)

I just finished reading this book about this guy that was a hacker (it wasn't a true story)... it seems really complicated to me, but I'm sure there are special programs that hackers have designed to hack onto webkinz accounts...

Keep in mind that NOTHING is impossible, especially on the Internet. I don't really see anything wrong in others wanting to take extra safety precautions

Last edited by dotdotduck; 06-18-2009 at 10:52 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
ow! I'm
Gifted

sajcwebin has a spectacular aura about

Donation Level 3 

Giving out your username does not mean that you will be hacked. But, it Does make it more likely. Even if it is only Very, Very, slightly more likely, some people would rather not take the risk. Other activities combined with giving out your username can also increase the chances of hacking. For example, if you regularly chat with people, any personal info you give them can be something they can test as your password. If you talk to someone about your pets, etc., they could try those names as your password if they also know your username. This usually takes a lot of patience on the part of the hacker, and it still requires some luck, but some people will try it anyway.

It's best not to give your username to anyone if you don't need to for some reason. And be careful to choose a Really good password that could never be mentioned in casual conversation. Then NEVER give your password to anyone.
sajcwebin is offline Female
Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
soebled2
Gift Guru

lamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guidelamb is a golden guide

I agree with the above. For the sake of safety, don't give our your user id unless there is a really good reason to do so. Make your password a hard one to crack, using extra letters and numbers to make it even more difficult. Be safe but don't be paranoid I say
lamb is offline Female
Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Gifted

smallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roost

?I don't think you would be hurt by giving your username, but who knows?
smallmonkey953 is offline Female
Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
I Love My
Webkinz :)

Midnights Bliss is the cats pajamas!Midnights Bliss is the cats pajamas!Midnights Bliss is the cats pajamas!Midnights Bliss is the cats pajamas!Midnights Bliss is the cats pajamas!Midnights Bliss is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by smallmonkey953
?I don't think you would be hurt by giving your username, but who knows?
I agree. But I also think, like everyone else said,
that there is still a slight chance that you could be hacked.
This is why I would recommend only giving your username
out to friends and family.

- Midnights Bliss
Midnights Bliss is offline Female
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #7

Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!Dudeness is not just visiting!

It is not bad, if you talk to people and telling you your username, they can get some hints of your password. Like what you do. It is always good to have really long passwords with numbers.
Dudeness is offline Female
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
arehouse 13 <3

Hedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonder

You can't be hacked with just your user name alone, but if they also get a hold of a secret pet code, then they can get hold of your password through the "forgot my password" feature, and then hack into your account. I'm guessing that's why people keep their ID hidden (mine is just cus I wanted to put text there). I heard a horror story about this happening to a friend of someone on WI, after they accepted a free pet from somebody in the clubhouse. Before that, I didn't even know it was possible.
Hedgie is offline Female
Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
-Alicia♥

teaandpizza defies all odds
teaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all oddsteaandpizza defies all odds

Thanks everyone I understand know! Rep point for you all! I'll be more careful about giving away my username!
teaandpizza is offline Female
Closed