Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Webkinz :)
Ziffster is a jewel in the roughZiffster is a jewel in the rough

Default Answered: WW and Regional Contest Locations?

Does anyone know how WW determines your location for regional contests like the new Bunny contest limited to the US? Reason I ask is that my membership is at my fathers address in Canada, but right now I am at my Mom's in the US so the ip I am connecting from is in the US.

When the last regional contest was on - the Chippet Dresses - it was limited to Canada and I was in the US and the only way I was able to play was by connecting using a VPN to my Dad's office in Canada (so I had my Canadian IP) but I am not seeing the Bunny contect which would suggest that maybe they are looking at where my membership is not where I am logged in from.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Ziffster is offline Female
Best Answer - Posted by Ziffster
Hi all,

I hope others find this information usefull.

I ended up talking to Ganz on another topic and asked how this was handled and was advised that WITH THIS promotion it is based on country where the IP address you log on with is registered. They also explained that although you may be in the Canada that does not necessarily mean that you will have a Canadian IP address as some international ISP's will trunk connections to another country and thus connections to be located somewhere other than where they are actually located.

I asked whey they said 'With This Promotion' and was told that depending on the promotion the restrictions may be based upon where the IP address used to log on is registered (typically a good indication of where you are logging in from) or where the account is registered (typically a good indication as to the members nationality).

I asked regarding the use of proxy services to 'relocate' your log on and was advised that if a user was found to be doing this to circumvent regional restrictions and was told that this may be considered to be using electronic means to circumvent WebKinz security measures and thus be grounds for punative action to be taken by Ganz under the terms set out in the user agreement (and I thought we were seeing a kinder gentler Ganz lately).

Thanks all for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Gifted

Cheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fish
Cheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fish

Default Re: WW and Regional Contest Locations?

I think its because your account is addressed in Canada. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with your IP address. I believe they are looking at where your membership is and not where you are logged in. It would make the most sense I believe. Sorry your not able to see/get the bunny
Cheesy1 is offline Female
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Diabetes Awareness
Gift Guru

bangkokyankee knows the way
bangkokyankee knows the waybangkokyankee knows the way

I'd like to know the answer to this also

btw my membership was started in the USA before I moved back here - so I don't think that's what they base it on

how do they figure where who is ??
Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
COWS4YOU

COWS4YOU has disabled reputation

It is where you are when you are logging into that account. Many members have EURO and asian accts and do not live there, but could see the free bunny ads because they were in the US. If you were in Canada with your asian and euro accts, you wouldn't see them because you were logging in from Canada. Hope that clears that up?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
ho?... Me?
Gifted

ArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with grace

View Post Originally Posted by Ziffster
Does anyone know how WW determines your location for regional contests like the new Bunny contest limited to the US? Reason I ask is that my membership is at my fathers address in Canada, but right now I am at my Mom's in the US so the ip I am connecting from is in the US.

When the last regional contest was on - the Chippet Dresses - it was limited to Canada and I was in the US and the only way I was able to play was by connecting using a VPN to my Dad's office in Canada (so I had my Canadian IP) but I am not seeing the Bunny contect which would suggest that maybe they are looking at where my membership is not where I am logged in from.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
If you are logging in from the US and not seeing the ads, check to make sure you are able to see 3rd party ads... You can check by entering "my pets" then clicking the "options" tab.
ArkMama is offline Female
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
you're beautiful ✌
Gifted

Craftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owl
Craftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owlCraftyreader is a wise owl

Honestly, I have no idea, but the other people gave you some tips. (:
Craftyreader is offline Female
Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
ShootingStars•°˜”° ҉
Gifted

mickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a boss
mickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a boss

I believe its based off of your IP Address.
mickey26 is offline Female
Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
marnabear

marnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicness
marnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicnessmarnabear is epic beyond epicness

WI Subscriber

It is definite based on your IP address. A lot of people who are in the states have Euro or Asian accounts and can see the ads. You need to check to make sure your account is not blocking 3rd party ads.
marnabear is offline Female
Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Ziffster is a jewel in the roughZiffster is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation Re: WW and Regional Contest Locations?

Hi all,

I hope others find this information usefull.

I ended up talking to Ganz on another topic and asked how this was handled and was advised that WITH THIS promotion it is based on country where the IP address you log on with is registered. They also explained that although you may be in the Canada that does not necessarily mean that you will have a Canadian IP address as some international ISP's will trunk connections to another country and thus connections to be located somewhere other than where they are actually located.

I asked whey they said 'With This Promotion' and was told that depending on the promotion the restrictions may be based upon where the IP address used to log on is registered (typically a good indication of where you are logging in from) or where the account is registered (typically a good indication as to the members nationality).

I asked regarding the use of proxy services to 'relocate' your log on and was advised that if a user was found to be doing this to circumvent regional restrictions and was told that this may be considered to be using electronic means to circumvent WebKinz security measures and thus be grounds for punative action to be taken by Ganz under the terms set out in the user agreement (and I thought we were seeing a kinder gentler Ganz lately).

Thanks all for your help!

Ziffster is offline Female
Closed

Tags
alley&kate&ali