Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #161
Webkinz :)

J Isabelle will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Wake up Ganz

View Post Originally Posted by WAMBO
BUt it 's speed is fine, especially for my needs, and because the Mac runs Vista Ultimate too!
I don't understand. Why would you want to run Vista on a Macintosh? ???

Jeanette Isabelle

---------- J Isabelle added 5 Minutes and 22 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by Ivie
Nice avvie! BTW all this technical talk makes my head hurt!
That's nothing. Wait until we get into the fun stuff, temporal physics.

Anyone who is serious about writing science fiction has to have some level of understanding on temporal physics.

Jeanette Isabelle

Last edited by J Isabelle; 12-26-2008 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
J Isabelle is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #162

WAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

View Post Originally Posted by J Isabelle
I don't understand. Why would you want to run Vista on a Macintosh? ???

Jeanette Isabelle

---------- J Isabelle added 5 Minutes and 22 Seconds later ----------

That's nothing. Wait until we get into the fun stuff, temporal physics.

Anyone who is serious about writing science fiction has to have some level of understanding on temporal physics.

Jeanette Isabelle
In college, I taught physical chemistry lab too!

I have Windows on my Mac as there are apps that we use for work that have no Mac equivalent. In Radiology, we now view digital images and use PACS, and the brand we use, GE Centricityis Windows only. I wanted the faster computer to view images faster. The load faster and scroll faster on a more robust computer, therefore, I and others in my group tired of Windows malware and viruses, dual boot with Macs. I gotta go get food for the kids now as the wife is ill. I hope the kids don't get it. Be back soon!
WAMBO is offline Male
Old 12-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #163
Wacky Holidays!

SnowCrystal is stuck on replay
SnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replaySnowCrystal is stuck on replay

View Post Originally Posted by J Isabelle
It is very unlikely that any given account is assigned to one server only. Here is the reason why, if an account is assigned to a particular server then it would be possible for one server to be overloaded while servers will be sitting there doing nothing.

Say for example that all of the accounts that are currently being used belongs to one particular server. If that server is carrying the load of every single account assigned to that server at the same time, and no other account is being used at that time, then one server is given more work than it can handle while the other servers are sitting doing nothing.

Jeanette Isabelle
I have seen areas in WW that Ganz hasn't programmed efficiently. For example, the way they handle the items in your dock. The meta model design is inefficient (or they are not using the model efficiently). Let us say we just harvested 2000 strawberries. How long should it take our dock to load if there were no other items in the dock except strawberries? The answer is a millisecond or less (if the programming was efficient). The meta model should provide for attaching a number to an item. It should load one item into your dock (the strawberry) with a number "attached" to that item (2000 in this case). But, that is not how WW treats dock items. It actually loads each strawberry separately. That is why when you try to load a dock with thousands of items you get an Adobe flash player message saying a script is running slowly...do you want to abort the script. It takes some people over half an hour to load 2000 strawberries and it really should only take a millisecond or so if their programming was efficient in this area.

Also, I am sure that the data that comprises our account is assigned a particular server/database(s). I might have a unique perspective on the situation, since I have been taking care of my family's 11 accounts. The way my family's accounts have been acting these past couple of weeks, there is no way it was "random" server assignment. It was consistently my one account that was opened last Christmas (2007) that was affected almost every day and/or night. Then a few other days, all of my other accounts (except the Asian ones) that were opened within a few months of each other were acting "bad" at the exact same times during the day (my 4 other accounts and my mom's account); and then on a couple of other days, my niece's 3 accounts which are older than mine (but opened around the same time of each other) were consistently acting the same ("bad"), but the rest of my family's accounts were okay. It was always consistently the same accounts at the same time. If it were truly a random server selection for everything, my family's accounts that were affected should have been "random", not consistently the same ones at the exact same times. I am not saying that there is not a randomness to some server functionality; I am just saying that the problems these past couple of weeks seem to have been affecting certain blocks of accounts, affecting different blocks of accounts at different times (and perhaps these blocks of accounts are "attached/assigned" to certain servers/and/or/databases/hardware/modules/programming functionality in some way).
SnowCrystal is offline Female
Old 12-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #164
Anti Twilight.

lizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonderlizzyxwebkinz wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by SnowCrystal
[SIZE=3]I have seen areas in WW that Ganz hasn't programmed efficiently. For example, the way they handle the items in your dock. The meta model design is inefficient (or they are not using the model efficiently). Let us say we just harvested 2000 strawberries. How long should it take our dock to load if there were no other items in the dock except strawberries? The answer is a millisecond or less (if the programming was efficient). The meta model should provide for attaching a number to an item. It should load one item into your dock (the strawberry) with a number "attached" to that item (2000 in this case). But, that is not how WW treats dock items. It actually loads each strawberry separately. That is why when you try to load a dock with thousands of items you get an Adobe flash player message saying a script is running slowly...do you want to abort the script. It takes some people over half an hour to load 2000 strawberries and it really should only take a millisecond or so if their programming was efficient in this area.
They would take longer to load because Ganz recommends not to have more then 100 items in your dock or things will load slow
lizzyxwebkinz is offline Female
Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #165
Falling for

GrandBlancGirls has much to be proud ofGrandBlancGirls has much to be proud ofGrandBlancGirls has much to be proud ofGrandBlancGirls has much to be proud of

[quote=SnowCrystal;12163865]

Quote:
Also, I am sure that the data that comprises our account is assigned a particular server/database(s). I might have a unique perspective on the situation, since I have been taking care of my family's 11 accounts. The way my family's accounts have been acting these past couple of weeks, there is no way it was "random" server assignment.

I totally agree with SnowCrystal. I have five accounts in my family. Four of them are working pretty well. We were "please waited" a couple days about a week before Christmas, but for the most part, our accounts are working much better than last Christmas.

HOWEVER, we have one account that was started only a few months ago that is driving me crazy. It has been "please waiting" us during peak hours every day for the past two weeks. And today I went in and cannot get anything out of storage. I have tried at least 5 times today over a period of 4 hours. It's driving me crazy. And the biggest problem is if the storage problem doesn't stop, I won't be able to go on the account. Because the pets get hungry and you can't get at your food!!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #166
Dave Matthews Band

CrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talentCrabCake has lots of talent

View Post Originally Posted by dusmopz
I haven't posted in awhile ... been sick. I just wanted to say all these glitches is going to cost Ganz in the end. My two grandsons no longer play on Webkinz because of all the glitches. They could either not do the activities or had to wait forever for things to load. We have the holiday season and all the children are home from school. Ganz is going to disappoint a lot of children who look forward to playing in WW. I usually buy a new Webkinz for my grandchildren as soon as they come out. I always bought them the Pet of the Month too but haven't bought one in two months now. Ganz knows about all the problems in WW. What they should have done was close it down for a week or two until they got it right. Sure many would be upset over the down time but if they were finally able to fix the glitches they might not lose members and sales. I just find it sad. My grandkids loved WW and played it constantly. Now they have moved on to other things (that actually work).

Oh and not to mention all the adults who are upset over this too. We are the ones spending all the money. Wake up Ganz before it is too late. JMHO

I know! Ganz should stop making stuff just to get money until they actually fix the glitches.

And, about the last thing you said, that is not necessarily true. Kids buy their own stuff all the time, give them some credit
Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #167

J Isabelle will become famous soon enough

Snow Crystal, you certainly make a valid point with your observation. The question that comes to mind as I read your post is how are these different accounts stored? Only Ganz would know the answer to that. I can see having an account stored on one machine but it does not make sense to have that one machine do everything for that one account.

If accounts are assigned to particular machines and the different activities are handled by a variety of other servers, then a server which handles a particular task can't do its job if the server housing your account is not doing its job.

Jeanette Isabelle
J Isabelle is offline Female
Old 12-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #168

WAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=GrandBlancGirls;12165656]
View Post Originally Posted by SnowCrystal

I totally agree with SnowCrystal. I have five accounts in my family. Four of them are working pretty well. We were "please waited" a couple days about a week before Christmas, but for the most part, our accounts are working much better than last Christmas.

HOWEVER, we have one account that was started only a few months ago that is driving me crazy. It has been "please waiting" us during peak hours every day for the past two weeks. And today I went in and cannot get anything out of storage. I have tried at least 5 times today over a period of 4 hours. It's driving me crazy. And the biggest problem is if the storage problem doesn't stop, I won't be able to go on the account. Because the pets get hungry and you can't get at your food!!

That's what's happening to one of our accounts, the 'Please wait...' for nothing to happen when getting thing from storage, although it s slow for everything else too. But it just freezes during getting things from storage. The other two accounts have many more items in storage, and one was started about five minutes after the one with the problem. I guess we'll have to wait to see if it gets fixed. i just hope that it doesn't take months, like the Clubhouse problem of our first account.
WAMBO is offline Male
Old 12-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #169
Gifted

cuffy is just really nicecuffy is just really nice

A child getting a C on a test is a little different than a business not giving what they are paid to give. If your mom or dad was having an operation and the doctor messed up and made your mom or dad sicker, would you be mad? Or would you be OK with it if the doctor said "well, I didn't really know what I was doing in the first place but I tried my best. Oops, I'm sorry."
You would expect that if the doctor was taking your money and said they could do the operation, that they had a clue what they were doing and were confident they could do it well.
We give Ganz our money with the expectation that things will work and be as promised. If they offer a new service, then they should know it is going to work before they offer it.
Yes glitches do happen and I expect things to be slow sometimes, I don't think that any of us here expect it to be perfect ALL of the time. But what we WOULD like is for old glitches to be fixed before they create new ones. One glitch I am tired of is every night I get kicked out at 9pm and 10pm. It is NOT a problem with my computer, this is the second computer it's happened on, and I was on a friends' computer and it did it from his, too. Is it a BIG deal, no not really, but like the other night I was on level 13 Pizza Palace and had alot of KC built up and then I got kicked off at 9:00 sharp. I lost the KC and lost the chance to beat my previous high score. If Webkinz was free I would not complain. (That happend alot on MSN games but it was free so I just gave up on them) But I've paid alot of money for my right to play on WW and I work all day in addition to taking care of 2 households. My only time to be on WW during the week is between 8 and 11, and that's if I'm lucky. So it seems unfair to me that whatever I'm doing, I have to constantly watch the clock so i can log out a minute before the hour, wait a few minutes, and then hope i'm able to log back in. It's annoying.

View Post Originally Posted by brightfarie
thats not very nice to say. Ganz tries their very hardest, and u cant get mad at someone who tries there hardest can u? Its kind of like ur child getting a C on a test. They say they tried there hardest, so u dont get mad at them, but mayb a little upset.

Plus, if Ganz did put down the site for 1 or 2 weeks, people wouldnt know what was happening thinking its out forever, and theyd lose more sales than ever.

So again, Ganz is trying their hardest and id imangine its very complicated to fix all that. So be more considerate.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #170
Diabetes Awareness
Gift Guru

Angel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socksAngel Daisy rocks our collective socks

Wow! This thread has turned into the geek thread .... . I am not a computer whiz by any means, but I understand a lot of what is being discussed and it is interesting - I never really thought about the fact that if you had 2000 strawberries that should be less a of drain on the server than 2000 individual items, but it makes sense.

Somewhere along the line I read something that implied that each account is randomly assigned to a specific server....about 9 months ago someone remarked that the Ganz rep he'd spoken with said, oh yes, that server where your account is stored is wonky right now and we are working on it. That would make sense since the please wait seemed to pass through multiple accounts for me, then disappeared.

Perhaps the specifics for your account are stored on a particular server - your webbies, your kinzcash, your possesions, etc. Then the games, wheels, newspapers and general stuff are located on other servers which then generate information such as gems found, money won, etc. which is then loaded onto your account. Would that make sense? It doesn't explain why some folks had the charm forest play forever and some folks had the charm forest wait forever glitches.

Anyhow, not awarding the tiaras to those who have uncovered all the charms reminds me of a teacher who punishes the whole class for the actions of a few. Totally unfair. So what if a few people get a tiara they didn't "wait" to get? What harm is in that? Isn't it better to be fair to those who those who went through the correct proceedure and didn't get a tiara?

This is the sort of behavior that is making people upset with Ganz.
Angel Daisy is offline Female
Closed

Tags
eat more apples!, ganz are you listening?, ganz d your job!, ganz get a life, get out of bed ganz!, spore! §, stop complaining!