Webkinz Insider Forum

Webkinz Insider Forum (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/)
-   Somebody Help! (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/somebody-help-165/)
-   -   VM, Friend, Contact? (http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/somebody-help-165/vm-friend-contact-566483/)

Bloo's Pal10-19-2009 11:15 AM

VM, Friend, Contact?

Help. :)

I’m confused. I tried to find answers to my questions in FAQ, but I”m afraid my knowledge of forums is so minimal that the explanations in FAQ are not basic enough.

What is a VM? I see mention of it in postings, but I couldn’t find it in FAQ.

I read the section on friend and contact, but it doesn’t say what a friend is beyond saying the relationship is two way. What does being a friend entail?

How is being a friend different from exchanging PMs or responding to another’s post or thread?

The FAQ say a contact is a one-way friendship. How can there be a one-way friendship? Isn’t friendship reciprocal?

The FAQ say you might want to list someone as a contact when you don’t want them as a friend. Under what circumstances would you do that and why?

How does one become a contact? What is the purpose of maintaining a list of people you don’t want to correspond with or vice versa? I”m obviously missing something.

rockermom10-19-2009 11:17 AM

Re: VM, Friend, Contact?

HI and Welcome!!!!! to WI!

I am so glad you are here and asked your questions!!

I sent you a VM and a friend request. so you can see what they are like.

a VM is a Visiter Message to your Profile Page. You just click on your username.
anyone can send those to you and you can send one back by clicking on their name!

To send a private message click on their name and click "send a private message "PM". The public can not see those.

To "friend" someone you just click on their name....and over to the right it says "befriend them".

It is not contract made in stone. You just are friends now. You can look over to your friends list and click on them and maybe pop over to their VM and say "hi how are you today?" if you feel like it.

If you do not want to become friends.....you ignore the friend invite...say no.... or delete contact.

There are sooooo many people on WI to become friends with, do not worry about it. You will find someone or many people here that you will become friends with!!!!

Those faqs are confusing......just go with the flow...and enjoy yourself! =)

Bloo's Pal10-19-2009 12:05 PM

Thanks, Rockermom. I clicked on your name and got to your page. So I see that VMs are visible to everyone and PMs are not. To respond to your VM do I go to your site and do it there? I am still having trouble navigating my own site. :) I can't figure out how to close PMs or switch from one form to another. I happen on each type by accident and then don't remember what I did! A box did open that said new message, but it didn't say who the recipient would be, and I had other VMs, so I came back here for further instructions.

rockermom10-19-2009 12:23 PM

You respond to everything from your profile.

you click on MY avatar or name to respond to my VM.

to go to PMs look over where YOUR name is on the right? and see where it says Welcome?

Welcome, rockermom.
PMs: 0 New., Total 20.
WI Bucks: [XXXXX
Subscribed Threads

Well where it says PMs click there and it will bring up your pms. all of them, new and old.

xxaeroxx10-19-2009 12:56 PM

Since I see that you have gotten your answer you may now close the thread by picking the best answer. To learn how to close threads in the "Somebody Help!" section click on this link------------------------>http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...r-help-511152/

Good luck :)

AuntietoEW10-19-2009 01:06 PM

Hi Bloo's Pal,
I sent you a test Private message so you can test it. Some of the reasons I have used a private message:

Report a problem with one of the features of Webkinz Insider to a moderator.
Make a suggestion to a specific person on some part of WW or WI.
Express sympathy to a member that has had a loss.
Ask for help from a specific person on some part of WW or WI.

I did not see an explanation of the "contact". What are these and where are they stored?

AuntietoEW

Bloo's Pal10-19-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxaeroxx (Post 16847909)
Since I see that you have gotten your answer you may now close the thread by picking the best answer. To learn how to close threads in the "Somebody Help!" section click on this link------------------------>http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...r-help-511152/

Thanks, but I don't have a complete answer yet. I am still in the dark about contacts. However, your suggestion has brought up another general question. I have already asked a question on a different thread and closed it. On that thread I got several very good answers to different parts of my question, and it was hard to pick one as best. I finally picked one just to close the thread, and I hoped I didn't hurt the feelings of the other very helpful people. Am I correct that the purpose of picking the best is just to close the thread?

xxaeroxx10-19-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloo's Pal (Post 16848062)
Thanks, but I don't have a complete answer yet. I am still in the dark about contacts. However, your suggestion has brought up another general question. I have already asked a question on a different thread and closed it. On that thread I got several very good answers to different parts of my question, and it was hard to pick one as best. I finally picked one just to close the thread, and I hoped I didn't hurt the feelings of the other very helpful people. Am I correct that the purpose of picking the best is just to close the thread?

Yes and sometimes when you do feel that ONE person didnt answer it themselves and other people answered it piece by piece then you can ask a Mod or Admin to close the thread without picking the best answer.

~xxaeroxx

Bloo's Pal10-19-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockermom (Post 16847791)
You respond to everything from your profile.

you click on MY avatar or name to respond to my VM.

to go to PMs look over where YOUR name is on the right? and see where it says Welcome?

Welcome, rockermom.
PMs: 0 New., Total 20.
WI Bucks: [XXXXX
Subscribed Threads

Well where it says PMs click there and it will bring up your pms. all of them, new and old.

I'm afraid I'm hopeless. When I clicked on your name I didn't get a respond box, I landed on your profile. What did I do wrong?

My welcome is in the left column. It doesn't say PMs, but it does say "Your Notifications" in blue. Is that the right place? Should it say PMs there?

rockermom10-19-2009 01:50 PM

yes...then on my profile you can VM me. you just type it right there!

How about when you click on MY user name?

does it say View Public Profile?
Send Private Message?
Find More Posts?
Add to Contacts?
Donation Stats?

I'm afraid I'm hopeless. When I clicked on your name I didn't get a respond box, I landed on your profile. What did I do wrong?

This is correct for writing a VM! or you can go up and find "send message" and send a PM.