Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
loves
Webkinz :)

July wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 
Default Unanswered: Virus from WI??

I hate to think it, but it really looks like I got a virus on my work computer today while I was on WI. Needless to say, I won't be logging on during the workday anymore (shouldn't have been anyway I guess!). I know here at home my antivirus software has quarantined a few things that appeared while I was on this site, so I switched to using Firefox instead of IE. We use IE at work, so I should have known better, but I went here anyway and today a virus slipped through the firewall and the antivirus and made itself right at home. Has anyone else had this problem?
July is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #2

n2911nlv is just really nicen2911nlv is just really nice

Default Re: Virus from WI??

What was the name of the virus? Do you know? This afternoon my son logged in and the "av360" trojan tried to access the computer. Fortunately, my Windows Defender and my Security software blocked it, but that the "av360" is really nasty. It pops up in your window (sometimes from a website you go on) and starts listing all of these files, telling you that your computer is infected and to click on this (?) to stop the trojans. If you make that mistake, it inserts itself into your Start menu, gives itself a shortcut and is difficult to remove. That one used to be called "antivirus 2008", then "antivirus 2009", then "av360" to try and fool Norton 360 antivirus owners into clicking on it. Anyway, sorry to hear about the virus (and sorry you won't be able to take a quick stress break at work by going onto WI or WW).
Old 03-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
is totally
Gifted

jeralynann11 is a splendid one to beholdjeralynann11 is a splendid one to beholdjeralynann11 is a splendid one to beholdjeralynann11 is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure Justin keeps an eye out for these things, but you could always PM a mod and ask about it. I have never had a problem and use IE on my computer and am on WI constantly....so I don't know.
jeralynann11 is offline Female
Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
ho's a lurkyloo?
Gift Guru

mathmom2 is an unparalleled talent
mathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talentmathmom2 is an unparalleled talent

Donation Level 2 

Those viruses come from normal browsing on the Web. It happened at work for me too - I was surfing the Internet looking for something to use in one of my classes and it popped up. The techie came out and told me that it was a very common virus and it attaches itself to tons of websites. He said that it is not the website's fault when it comes thru; it's just the nature of the virus.

When it happens now, I run the anti virus software he put on the machine - beyond the one already installed - and then reboot the system and it's all gone. Nothing to worry about unless you clicked the box to get the software protection the virus is advertising. If you do that, it will assign itself to some hidden dirctory within your computer and continue to run behind the scenes. The software he put on my work comp takes care of that too.
mathmom2 is offline Female
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
allieysia88 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got the anti virus 360 as well a couple weeks ago. i also thought it may have come from WI. the reason i thought this was for one the day when lots were redirected or else our anti virus programs blocked us going to another site. this was right before Justin changed the home page.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
krqcmom
Gift Guru

Jarrah knows the way
Jarrah knows the wayJarrah knows the wayJarrah knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by mathmom2
Those viruses come from normal browsing on the Web. It happened at work for me too - I was surfing the Internet looking for something to use in one of my classes and it popped up. The techie came out and told me that it was a very common virus and it attaches itself to tons of websites. He said that it is not the website's fault when it comes thru; it's just the nature of the virus.

When it happens now, I run the anti virus software he put on the machine - beyond the one already installed - and then reboot the system and it's all gone. Nothing to worry about unless you clicked the box to get the software protection the virus is advertising. If you do that, it will assign itself to some hidden dirctory within your computer and continue to run behind the scenes. The software he put on my work comp takes care of that too.
I got that one too - and it's particularly tricky because it's not a "virus" so the virus programs don't find it - what it does is creates a scary "you have a virus" popup that blocks your internet access.

If you get a popup that declares that you have a virus and provides you with a link that goes to a site that sells an antivirus program you don't have a real virus - it's a fake - *but* it's also a huge nuisance and still needs to be cleaned out of your PC - but your normal antivirus program won't work (because it's not a real virus). That may be way he is using a tool other than the regular antivirus software.

Google "Perfect Defender" to learn more about this kind of trojan.
Jarrah is offline Female
Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
ell i'm katiee (:

klcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledge

I have never gotten these viruses, but I have noticed that when you're on Internet Explorer, your computer is more open to viruses. So my family switched to Mozilla Firefox. Firefox allows you to log into places safer without people watching you to get into your accounts. And Internet Explorer is very slow compared to Firefox. My family also installed Norton. You should do that if you don't have that. Norton is your computer's "protector" against viruses.
klcao12 is offline Female
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Banned
bob nws III is sweet stuff
bob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuffbob nws III is sweet stuff

i remember there was an incident a while back where another member and i both thought we got a pretty bad virus from WI, but i think Justin confirmed that it was just a typical virus you get from browsing the web. if you are on IE, then you will seem more prone to the viruses, they tend to be bad on IE. i don't think the virus was from this site, but rather something you picked up somewhere else
bob nws III is offline Male
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
FairlyWackyMom

fairlyoddmom has disabled reputation

There was a security flaw in our old front page editor that allowed someone to write some malicious code. Those were the issues you were seeing a few weeks back. Justin switched out that old software and eliminated that problem.
fairlyoddmom is offline Female
Old 03-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Don't mess with us

oon23 is a name known to alloon23 is a name known to alloon23 is a name known to all

I got a virus once from here too, but after Justin got the new system, it stopped in about a day or two. So, I think it should stop on yours too soon.
It would be really bad if WI got that virus mathmom is talking about. I had hat one time too. Very hard to get out.

--oon23
oon23 is offline Female
Closed