Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Call me Amanda!
Gift Guru

Webkinzroxmysox is a glorious beacon of lightWebkinzroxmysox is a glorious beacon of lightWebkinzroxmysox is a glorious beacon of light

Default Unanswered: Virus?

This morning, I turned on my computer (as usual), and went onto Wi. While I was sending a PM, the screen changed to a blank screen with the words Gateway Timeout. Then, it changed again to another screen with the url of pcvirusremover2008.com. I have never heard of this site before. So, a window pops up saying my computer might be effected by a trojon or virus. I closed out the window, but it kept popping back up, warning me to download the software because my computer is in danger. Finally it closed out.

I scanned my computer the software already on my computer for any viruses, and it states there is nothing on it.

I don't know how my computer got to that screen, but I am just putting a warning out there to anyone who may experience this as well. Not sure if it was a virus attempting to get on my computer or not, or if it was from WebkinzInsider.

-Amanda (Amy)
Webkinzroxmysox is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Toph is a
Gift Guru

cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible
cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible

Default Re: Virus?

There's a thread about this somewhere... it is a firefox or internet explorer ad, not webkinzinsider. So you have to update your internet, I believe.
cocogirl211 is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
faeriespixiedust
Webkinz :)

LIL PIXIE will become famous soon enough

No the warning you saw has flashed on my screen as well. I don't think it's a virus but I do think it contain's malware and that's why my computer is running so slow. So yes be carefiul everyone. Keep your virus software up to date to protect your computers.
LIL PIXIE is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
ceedar11
Gifted

Cheekie Cat is a name known to allCheekie Cat is a name known to allCheekie Cat is a name known to all

View Post Originally Posted by Webkinzroxmysox
This morning, I turned on my computer (as usual), and went onto Wi. While I was sending a PM, the screen changed to a blank screen with the words Gateway Timeout. Then, it changed again to another screen with the url of pcvirusremover2008.com. I have never heard of this site before. So, a window pops up saying my computer might be effected by a trojon or virus. I closed out the window, but it kept popping back up, warning me to download the software because my computer is in danger. Finally it closed out.

I scanned my computer the software already on my computer for any viruses, and it states there is nothing on it.

I don't know how my computer got to that screen, but I am just putting a warning out there to anyone who may experience this as well. Not sure if it was a virus attempting to get on my computer or not, or if it was from WebkinzInsider.

-Amanda (Amy)
OMW! My pc does that too, but when I run our virus softwere (McAfee) there are NO virus' or Trojan Horses! I have IE not FF, so I"m not sure whats going on! My mum said it was just an add and never let it run, it might give you a virus..........
Cheekie Cat is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
4 Accts. please ask

KaileysMommy has a spectacular aura about

I was on here lastnight and all of the sudden my hard drive crashed and my computer went into safty mode. I was on here and logging on webkinz nothing else. In the safty mode it said it was most likely a webpage I was viewing caused it.

---------- KaileysMommy added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later ----------

I have one of the best virus scans (webroot) on my computer it scans for everything and catches most stuff as the webpage trys to add it to my computer.

Last edited by KaileysMommy; 10-10-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
KaileysMommy is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Call me Amanda!
Gift Guru

Webkinzroxmysox is a glorious beacon of lightWebkinzroxmysox is a glorious beacon of lightWebkinzroxmysox is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, thanks everyone! I'm using Windows Defender...it came with my computer, should I get a better one?
Webkinzroxmysox is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
4 Accts. please ask

KaileysMommy has a spectacular aura about

Ok, thanks everyone! I'm using Windows Defender...it came with my computer, should I get a better one?

I don't like the ones that come with a computer I always go to like circuit city and get a better one. Webroot cost about $55.00. I have had mine since May 3rd and it has already blocked 24,817 items since then.
KaileysMommy is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
I want to be a

Melia is on a distinguished road

I doubt seriously it's WI, but if they run ads, then it's possible a malicious one snuck in. It happens.

If you have FF, you can get Adblock Plus, and not see any ads anyways.

For a good virus software, I highly recommend McAfee. And Lavasoft makes a great antispyware (and more!) product called Ad-Aware that's free; if you get the paid version then I think it runs in real time, instead of just scanning when you want it to. Windows Defender isn't bad, but it's nice to have backup.
Melia is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

NOT by any means. Windows Defender paired with the Windows Firewall have kept your computer safe thus far. If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!! Bottom line, if you scanned and there are NO bugs in there, your Defender is working just fine! You start messing around with new software and the first thing they tell you is to disable Defender...that is when the sneaky little beggars get in through that back door! No, leave well enough alone. This DOES happen on Webkinz Insider when they are doing updates to the Forum. Don't worry so much. If you have any REAL concerns, speak to FIA, she can point you in the RIGHT direction.
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 10-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

I don't really know, but with the link you posted reminds me of another thing.

These messages are used to fool you, to try to convince you there is actually something wrong. There is more than likely nothing wrong, and you NEVER, EVER want to click on ANYTHING on these ads. Don't even click on the little "no button." When these things happen, hold down the "alt" button, and press "f4." It should close down the windows you are working on. If you do click on those buttons, it actually begins to install a virus on your computer, rather than fixing the one that does not actually exist.
-Lilypad is offline Female
Closed