Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
Diabetes Awareness
Webkinz :)

iluvlabs is a glorious beacon of lightiluvlabs is a glorious beacon of lightiluvlabs is a glorious beacon of light

Default Unanswered: Q for Retailers: Webkinz losing popularity?

I know there are some Webkinz retailers on this forum so this question is for you - are Webkinz losing popularity?

I went into a local store today and found they had just three webkinz for sale, the most recent being the Rooster. The reason - they said Webkinz weren't as popular as they used to be (personally I think it might have to do with their lack of selection). This forum & eBay show that there are still plenty of people collecting so I'm wondering if it's a local thing or a general sales trend.

A bit OT: The one store in my area that always has the most recent Webkinz is located in a seniors mall. Not in the mall where the parents & kids hang out, they're in the mall where the grandparents hang out.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
uvs his wife andDD/S

CanesFan knows the way
CanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the way

Default Re: Q for Retailers: Webkinz losing popularity?

I'm not a shop owner, but I think I know the answer. eBay and Amazon tend to be cheaper right now (maybe even Ameriwade on few occasions), and people will do anything to save money now a days. I think it has gone down slightly, but only because of the recession.
CanesFan is offline Male
Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #3

Duckyjk is just really niceDuckyjk is just really nice

I think it has a lot to do with location and the Company. I've noticed some stores have tons of Webkinz but others are just not carrying as many as they used to. I don't believe they actually get to "place an order" with Ganz, I think Ganz just sends them whatever they decide to. The store doesn't have a lot of options as to what they get.
I can't see it losing popularity when they've expanded soooo much with the estore, the webkinz jr. and zumbuddies too.
I hope you find the webbies that you are looking for!
Duckyjk is offline Female
Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
GiantPandaLover11

Pandah has a reputation beyond reputePandah has a reputation beyond reputePandah has a reputation beyond reputePandah has a reputation beyond reputePandah has a reputation beyond reputePandah has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a retailer,but I also noticed this. Two of the local stores here have stopped carrying webkinz completely--Reason? Nobody would buy them. These two stores had very reasonable prices,but the buying rate was still dropping. I think Webkinz has had its time to shine,and like any other trend,it's starting to die out.
Anyone here remember collecting some of the first Tamagotchis? You couldn't get to a store fast enough. Nowadays,they aren't so popular. Everything dies out.
Pandah is offline Female
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Whooo hooo
Gift Guru

Tula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clownTula is cool as a bunny clown

okay here is my thought. The first mistake Ganz has made is to make too many webkinz. People can't keep up with it and that ends up creating more product out there than is being bought. Plus I noticed in the last two years a 4.00 rise in the price of a webkinz. People these days just can't afford that on top of everything else we are dealing with. We waited until a store went out of business to buy ours at 75% off. If stores are smart they would lower the prices, but see Ganz has increased the price for them, so they have no choice here. They will stop selling them if people are not will to pay the prices they are now. They should never have gone over 10.00 if you ask me. They are not made well enough to command close to 18.00 each. They have flooded the market and that is never a good idea.

Plus the first webkinz generation of kids is now on to other things for the most part. My oldest nieces that were so into webkinz have left it now at the age of 10 and 12 to grow up and do other things. They aren't interested in it anymore. Now there are kids older than her still loving it. I think that is wonderful... So now the new little kids that are getting old enough for a webkinz...will be interested but chances are they will just play on big brother or sisters account to save mom and dad money. Not everyone...just a thought.

I have mentioned before though everything has its time and its not about if it will end but when.

Last edited by Tula; 01-18-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Tula is offline Female
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
illiam has a bunny

Bindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of art
Bindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of art

I think stores are slimming down, and perhaps the initial "Cabbage Patch Kid" sort of craze has eased up. I was at a store today and the woman said they weren't selling as well, but if you look at what she had, they were all the old ones, and the lil' kinz that you can get from Walgreens with the wcares tag! If I were a retailer, I would want to be smart about ordering, especially at this day and age, and only order in the newest ones, and only a few at a time. This way you aren't stuck with old stock. Personally, I think we all know a lot more about what is or is not marketable than the retailers at most stores.
Bindidog is offline Female
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
hy can't I be a

tammie2222 is a name known to alltammie2222 is a name known to alltammie2222 is a name known to all

I don't think it's losing popularity. This forum is proof enough of that. I do think that the price increases and the recession - as well as the above mentioned ebay and amazon deals - lead to a slowing down of purchases. I have been buying more webkinz on ebay simply because I can't find the exact ones I want in a store and I hate shopping around. It's just more convenient.

I also think that there may be a decline due to Ganz excessive glitches.
tammie2222 is offline Female
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
horan's bed
Gift Guru

stormypanda is sweet stuff
stormypanda is sweet stuffstormypanda is sweet stuffstormypanda is sweet stuffstormypanda is sweet stuffstormypanda is sweet stuffstormypanda is sweet stuff

I don't think it's losing popularity, I think it's mainly because of recession.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Jessy262

I think it is losing popularity. Most of my friends quit webkinz after their account expired.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Gift Guru

AsH xO is a WI addict!
AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!AsH xO is a WI addict!

View Post Originally Posted by CanesFan
I'm not a shop owner, but I think I know the answer. eBay and Amazon tend to be cheaper right now (maybe even Ameriwade on few occasions), and people will do anything to save money now a days. I think it has gone down slightly, but only because of the recession.
View Post Originally Posted by Duckyjk
I think it has a lot to do with location and the Company. I've noticed some stores have tons of Webkinz but others are just not carrying as many as they used to. I don't believe they actually get to "place an order" with Ganz, I think Ganz just sends them whatever they decide to. The store doesn't have a lot of options as to what they get.
I can't see it losing popularity when they've expanded soooo much with the estore, the webkinz jr. and zumbuddies too.
I hope you find the webbies that you are looking for!
View Post Originally Posted by Pandah
I'm not a retailer,but I also noticed this. Two of the local stores here have stopped carrying webkinz completely--Reason? Nobody would buy them. These two stores had very reasonable prices,but the buying rate was still dropping. I think Webkinz has had its time to shine,and like any other trend,it's starting to die out.
Anyone here remember collecting some of the first Tamagotchis? You couldn't get to a store fast enough. Nowadays,they aren't so popular. Everything dies out.
View Post Originally Posted by Tula
okay here is my thought. The first mistake Ganz has made is to make too many webkinz. People can't keep up with it and that ends up creating more product out there than is being bought. Plus I noticed in the last two years a 4.00 rise in the price of a webkinz. People these days just can't afford that on top of everything else we are dealing with. We waited until a store went out of business to buy ours at 75% off. If stores are smart they would lower the prices, but see Ganz has increased the price for them, so they have no choice here. They will stop selling them if people are not will to pay the prices they are now. They should never have gone over 10.00 if you ask me. They are not made well enough to command close to 18.00 each. They have flooded the market and that is never a good idea.

Plus the first webkinz generation of kids is now on to other things for the most part. My oldest nieces that were so into webkinz have left it now at the age of 10 and 12 to grow up and do other things. They aren't interested in it anymore. Now there are kids older than her still loving it. I think that is wonderful... So now the new little kids that are getting old enough for a webkinz...will be interested but chances are they will just play on big brother or sisters account to save mom and dad money. Not everyone...just a thought.

I have mentioned before though everything has its time and its not about if it will end but when.
View Post Originally Posted by Bindidog
I think stores are slimming down, and perhaps the initial "Cabbage Patch Kid" sort of craze has eased up. I was at a store today and the woman said they weren't selling as well, but if you look at what she had, they were all the old ones, and the lil' kinz that you can get from Walgreens with the wcares tag! If I were a retailer, I would want to be smart about ordering, especially at this day and age, and only order in the newest ones, and only a few at a time. This way you aren't stuck with old stock. Personally, I think we all know a lot more about what is or is not marketable than the retailers at most stores.
View Post Originally Posted by tammie2222
I don't think it's losing popularity. This forum is proof enough of that. I do think that the price increases and the recession - as well as the above mentioned ebay and amazon deals - lead to a slowing down of purchases. I have been buying more webkinz on ebay simply because I can't find the exact ones I want in a store and I hate shopping around. It's just more convenient.

I also think that there may be a decline due to Ganz excessive glitches.
I agree with all of these people.
AsH xO is offline Female
Closed