Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Gift Guru

tokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with gracetokyo rose wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Unanswered: Please help and let us know what we can do to prevent from being hacked

I got a phone call from a friend today and she said her daughter's WW account was recently hacked! She tried to log in and got a message saying the password did not match, so she had to call GANZ. By th time she was able to log on again, most of valuable items and KC were gone. Her daughter is so devastated and she now says she does not want to play WW any more. I have seen a lot of people's postings here about being hacked, but I never really thought too much except feeling bad for them. But, hearing a story from someone I know well got me really scared and now it sounds more real. My 3 kids and I have been playing WW for over 2 years now and we have spent so much time and money on WW. I don't even know what we would do if we ever get hacked.

We are doing a few basic stuff to protect ourselves like
1) never play ww on other people's computers, especially public computers
2) never tell your password to anyone
3) keep only the people you know very well on your kinzphone
4) never accept any friend invite if you don't recognaize the person
But, I am sure most of the people are already doing what we are doing. Those mean hackers have so much knowledge so I don't think these are nearly enough to be totally secured.

I would like to know if anyone has good tips or suggestions that might help us prevent from being hacked. Any little information would help. Thank you so much!
tokyo rose is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
|_ () \/ 3
Gift Guru

lexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guide

Default Re: Please help and let us know what we can do to prevent from being hacked

How about going through your "cell phone" every week, changing passwords every month...
lexi18216 is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
owzer!! I am
Gifted

Luvmylaurecas will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Please help and let us know what we can do to prevent from being hacked

View Post Originally Posted by lexi18216
How about going through your "cell phone" every week, changing passwords every month...
Actually lexi is right on track with changing the password. My DH and I do this for our real life checking account. If you change your password it will prevent any hacker from an easy prey if you will. I also believe that if a "hacker" wants something bad enough, they will get to it. However, they may not bother with accounts that have an unpredictable password.
Luvmylaurecas is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
ow I'm blonde and
Gifted

penguinpal93 has much to be proud ofpenguinpal93 has much to be proud ofpenguinpal93 has much to be proud ofpenguinpal93 has much to be proud of

Well, here are some more tips you can add to your list

1. be sure to keep your pets secret code tag well hidden where people can not find them and take them
2. Try to let your password be at least 9 letters and try to put symbols in there like ! @ # $ %^ & * ( )
3. Don't leave any valuable info like passwords left around on a piece of paper
4. Change your password every 6 months or even more often

Good Luck
penguinpal93 is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
oohoo!!!
Webkinz :)

auntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guide

Yeah, change your password often. Use nonsensical words or names, and include numbers in your password. Whatever the limit is for the length of your password, use that many letters and numbers. And don't even hint at what your password could be. Don't make your password something that is obvious to your personal likes, either. If you love ice skating, don't make your password Kristi Yamaguchi. Also, WI members have complained about not always being awarded KC for arcade games, and have started keeping track. Maybe do that before logging off of your account. Write down the amount of KC you have. Be sure to check it the next time you log back on. Best of luck!!!!
auntjenny7 is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
SwimGirl4Life
Gifted

SwimGirl4Life is on a distinguished road

Make your password hard to guess with numbers and symbols added in odd places. Make sure you write it down somewhere or can remember it.

Try and change your password once every two months to something completely unrelated. This stops the chances that a hacker will try and get your account.

Also, don't brag about your account to others who know your name, or you will be very vulnerable to hacker attempts. Try and stay low-key about "I have 500 superbeds!" or something like that.
SwimGirl4Life is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
I love Paramore&

webkinz_ has disabled reputation

Yes.
I also have a thread on this. It is closed, though....
=(
webkinz_ is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
In love with

phylis5835 is on a distinguished road

You've said pretty much everything right there. But you forgot to mention, never EVER tell someone your code. If they know your username. They can switch the password without notice. It happened to me. I didn't know what to do. I was so upset.
phylis5835 is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
ants Diamond Apples!
Gifted

Jennifer36 defies all odds
Jennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all oddsJennifer36 defies all odds

Donation Award 

One last tip. I suppose this will sound a bit like a conspiracy theory, but my friend is fairly certain this is how her account was hacked. If you buy your webkinz on ebay, be careful if you buy the tags only. Often these tags have been opened. The seller can write down the code, send you the original, wait a few weeks and then access your account. In my friend's case, she bought a code only and the seller emailed the code, but never sent the original. Then two weeks after loading tat pet she was hacked. So just be careful who you buy from.
Jennifer36 is offline Female
Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Gift Trainee

x3Kiwi is a jewel in the roughx3Kiwi is a jewel in the rough

Sorry that happened to your friend! Here is a tip I have..,

Don't trust anyone with your password, even if you know them very very well.
Closed