Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
hut? Lies!
Webkinz :)
Zaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud of

Default Re: Need help with some things

Pfft, everyone has different opinions on computer repair people... I won't bother throwing mine out.

Anyways, if you're going to keep your computer, then you should install, or buy a good anti virus.

Free: Microsoft Security Essentials
Paid: BitDefender

But it really sounds like the best thing to do would be to...

A): Format it and reinstall your OS. (Though if you don't know how to do that, go to b)
B): Buy a new computer... Check out "Newegg". They have insane deals on that sort of thing.

I really don't think having someone else get paid to help you is the answer... They usually rip you off.

Also, it's worth noting that nothing, and noone can detect all viruses.

Last edited by Zaixionito; 03-07-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Amyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledge

View Post Originally Posted by ilovecats711
Ok first.....It sounds like you have a terrible repairman and I recommend calling the geek squad if you can afford it. They helped me. They are fast and very good at what they do. I wouldn't waste anymore money on that repair man. He/she seems to be making things worse and not fixing anything.

It also sounds like you haven't removed the spy ware from your computer. The geek squad can remove all of that. If you don't want them to come to your house you can go to their website. They will do something called "remote access" and have control over your computer and fix all the issues. There is live support there 24-7. If that is not an option for you, try to remove them yourself with anti virus programs but it sounds like you have some major issues with your computer!
Actually have already tried all that is suggested. One of my brother-in-law's knows way more about computers than we do. He has installed and ran C-cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes Antimalware, Atfcleaner, Spywareblaster, AVG, and so many other things we have on both computers.
We tried Geeks To Go and they have been now being sort of rude and now ignoring everything we say and even deleting everything. We don't understand all this stuff, and saying the wrong things, and then they get to where they can't help anymore.
The part about your moms name before the web address... the only thing I can think of here is, since you share computers do you each have a log in windows name? Windows can be set up for different users and if you are signed into windows under your moms name programs and things would have her name on it. Just a guess here though.
We don't even know or understand how it is suppose to be setup. Like I said, it has her name before the @ symbol, and then the url for the sites that like only I have an account on. We are wondering if this is somehow causing things to get messed up, due to the way things are setup.
For one of the sites that only I have an account on, when I tried to reset my password, it sent the password instructions to my mom's email account. We don't understand how they got her information. Is that because of how the computer remembers things we typed?
The "on resume, password protect" means that when the computer is restarted, shut down, or comes out of hibernation mode you must put in a password/user-name. This is just something that can be used so not just anyone can pick up your computer and see what you were doing or what is on it.
This is what we don't understand. Why was this the first time it ever came up with this message? I had the computer for over 7 years and that was the first time I ever saw a message like that come up. Same with my mom's computer. This never happens with hers either with having to type in a username and a password. We just turn the computer on and everything is on the screen. Also, what is the username and password that i need to type into that box? We do not know what it is wanting us to type. People told us so many different things and nothing would work. Taking the checkmark out of that box seems to be what solved the problem of that message coming up. The other thing, we don't even know how it got checked either. Since we didn't know about it up til that point, we sure didn't do it I don't think.
I don't know what you are talking about someone picking up my computer. It's not a laptop. It's a desktop and the computer is wired out to my mom's computer. The modem and router are both hooked up to my computer, and goes out to my mom's computer. Both are Dell Desktop computers. My nephew and his dad came over one day to set all this up for us.
So, anyways, my computer has to always be on and stuff in order for my mom's computer to be able to get online. So, people do have to be able to turn the computer on and stuff.
Amyloveswebkinz is offline Female
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
mizfit is just really nicemizfit is just really nice

Hi Amy,

I sure do understand how frustrating it can be when your computer is not working correctly. I also understand how discouraging it can be - especially when you do not understand how or why things got this way.

All that being said, it sounds like you have multiple problems and issues going on here. Now, it may be best for you to format your computer and reinstall the operating system. Sometimes you need to format to 'ultra clean' your computer. Formatting a computer hard drive is simple and can help eliminate viruses, storage issues, and other hard-to-resolve problems. Formatting will completely erase everything on your computer. You can then reinstall the operating system (Windows XP, I assume).

Because formatting erases EVERYTHING, it is important that you back-up (make copies) of any data that you want to save BEFORE you start the formatting process. You may want to back-up things like documents, spreadsheets, pictures, music, videos, etc. Other things you may want to back up are your Favorites (Bookmarks), email addresses, and other programs you have downloaded from the internet and do not have a hard copy of. Remember that each user on the computer has his or her own My Documents folder, Desktop items and Favorites/Bookmarks.

Although formatting your computer and reinstalling the operating system sounds technical and somewhat scary, it really is a simple procedure. If you do not know how to do this, or do not have a friend or relative that knows how, there are detailed instructions available on the internet. I would suggest using your favorite search engine and the words 'format hard drive windows xp' (still assuming you have xp) and reviewing the information that is available to you. It is a good idea to print/write out any instructions, as they will not be available during the procedure.

Alternately, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, computer repair shops can do this for you, for a fee, of course. Having no idea where you are located, I cannot say what your local repair shop would charge, but I can tell you my local repair shop charges $89 to do this.

I would also like to point out that all of your programs would have to be re-installed. Things like Office, anti-virus programs, along with other software you have installed.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
e in DwarfWithdrawal
SoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guideSoccerSlave is a golden guide

When you first set up a computer, you can give it a name. That is likely what showed up at the front of the cookies.

One of the big sources of spyware etc. is free things from sites like special smileys, cursors and screensavers. I don't mean the ones you can add to a post here,
but from sites that have lots that you can download. I know they are appealing,
but best to avoid. The problem is when you download, their agreement lets them gather info from your computer and install certain trackers on your computer. So they can then do things like randomly direct you to new sites. These are not viruses. Many anti-virus/spyware programs will not list them since you gave permission. Whether you realize it or not.
It is best to just close windows when you see something you didn't expect.
Clicking any buttons could be letting things be loaded that are hard to remove. BUT always write down the site name and/or what the window says if you can. Than can help figure out any problem(s).

If you get strange messages, copy them down then search the internet for the message - if it is spyware causing the problem you will see lots of information on it and what to do to get rid of it.

Webkinz only asks for e-mail for Kinzchat Plus access and if you set up an
e-Store account. WebkinzInsider does ask for e-mail and is not associated with Ganz.

There are certain features of a machine that can be turned on or off, such
as that password to log back in. Sometimes you can toggle (switch alternately on or off) by pushing a certain series of buttons. Usually this involves function keys. So it probably was just a coincidence that the right combination was accidentally pushed.

When ANY passwords are set up on your computer, always write down what they are and what for, and store someplace safe. Remember to update
the information if it ever changes. It could help to note the dates, too.

Important files should be backed up. Especially if any reports or financial information is on your computer. And the place you back it up to should be scanned every now and then to make sure it is okay.
Even without virus or spyware concerns, computer hardware can break.
Having a backup can save many headaches.

Many computer makers and software makers have sites with lots of computer info. Some is very basic tutorials. It might be worthwhile to try and read some of it for an hour or so every week. Over a few months you
can gain a better understanding of your computer.

I have several e-mail accounts. One is used for certain groups and activities - such as Girl Scouts, swim teams, etc. One is for other things I
do online. One is for friends and important business. They are with different providers [e.g. like one with yahoo, one with mail.com, one with gmail. So if the provider is having problems, I do have a backup way of reaching people (rarely happens, but does happen). And so it is less likely
the important ones ever get messed up by the general online stuff.

Write down anything that is wrong before you go for help. Try to group things together. When something is fixed, ask the person to describe what they fixed so you understand and write that down. If you don't understand, ask them to write it down for you. Then don't bring that up with any new problems unless it happens again, but have the notes in case
you are asked. For example, the password needed to sign back into your computer -- it has been fixed. Try and understand how it happened and how it was fixed, but don't bring it up when talking to someone about websites popping up on your machine. Those issues are most likely not related, and bringing everything up each time will confuse people trying to help.

Good luck.

Last edited by SoccerSlave; 03-08-2010 at 02:39 PM..
SoccerSlave is offline Female