Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Webkinz :)
kiddeokee is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Unanswered: My dog ate my webkinz.

If my dog (a 12 lb maltese ) gets ahold of a stuffed webkinz, he will eat it. I try to keep them out of reach, but sometimes he will climb onto a table to get ahold of one (or I might accedentally forget about it when I log it in). He is a bit obsessive about them.

Once he finds it, he hides it from me until the middle of the night. This is when he will get up on the bed while I am sleeping and tear its paws out until the little packets of beads come out of the webbie.

I wake up to find tiny white beads ALL over my bed, ALL over my floor. I then find myself having to vacuum at 6 am before going to work.

Does anyone know what these beads are made of? Will they make my little furbaby sick? Anyone have any idea on how to get my dog to stop chewing on things??? He does this with tissues & toilet paper as well, and ONLY while I am sleeping.

This happened to Cheeky Monkey, Black Horse, Little Kinz St. Bernard and it seems like more.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #2

twilight_kitten is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My dog ate my webkinz.

Im not sure what they do to them but i know your not supposed to let to let them eat the bead. Sorry about you webkinz. How many has he gotten a hold of?
twilight_kitten is offline Female
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
COWS4YOU

COWS4YOU has disabled reputation

I am sorry to hear that your dog has taken to chewing your webkinz to pieces. I do know however that there are other members on this board that their dogs do the same exact thing.

Maybe you could spray your webkinz before bed with vinegar, (don't worry, when it is dry you won't smell it)? I don't know of anyone that would want to bite into a vinegar smelled webkinz
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
The Emperor
Banned
treknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clowntreknx01 is cool as a bunny clown

Hi Under child safety laws the beads have to be made of a food contact grade NON toxic plastic,
so they are essentially safe to eat but NOT recommend as part of a balanced diet

You may want to try a Kong (i think thats what they are called) its a puzzle game for dogs that will give out food treats as they play with them most dogs would prefer to get a tasty reward for playing so he will hopefully play with that instead and leave the Webbie's alone.
treknx01 is offline Male
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
Gift Guru

CrystalFlute is the bees knees!CrystalFlute is the bees knees!CrystalFlute is the bees knees!CrystalFlute is the bees knees!CrystalFlute is the bees knees!CrystalFlute is the bees knees!CrystalFlute is the bees knees!

awww! That's so sad! Chewing them apart on your bed while you're sleeping... it's almost like he's openly mocking you.

I don't know what the tiny beads are made of. It seems like they wouldn't break down so either he'd throw them up, or they would just pass through his bowels. Once I had a dog who loved those American Cheese Slices that came wrapped in plastic, once this beagle ate the whole slice of cheese, wrapping and all because she grabbed it out of the hand before it could be unwrapped. And she was fine. The wrapper just kinda disappeared...

If you're concerned you can always call the vet and ask. But if your dog's been doing this and seems fine, then I wouldn't worry about it. I know the one toy vets strongly urge against are koosh balls, because of the little stringly plastic bits.

as to stopping the behavior... umm... well you definitely have to claim the stuffed animals as yours. And buy those dog plushies for your animal and just through interaction make it clear that the ones you buy for them are theirs, and your webkinz are YOURS. Dog starts sniffing it, take it away, holding it close to your body and act protective of it. Claiming your property. I found this generally works with my dogs. They have theirs and they understand they have theirs and I have mine. If you see one ripped to shreds. Put it in the dog's face and say firmly, "NO. BAD DOG" allow the dog to sniff it to make the association, and of course, disciplining them during the act is most affective. Other than that... lock your webkinz in a closet during the night.
I was watching "It's me or the dog" (one of those dog behavior tv shows) and there was a dog that was obsessed with shiny things and chewing on the wooden cabinets. Well, she did the same thing the dog whisperer did with the dog obsessed with bushes. Put the dog on one of those leashes that gives you absolute control over the behavior. Take them near the object, and every time they start to focus on it, you give them a quick, firm jerk to distract their attention, also adding a short/sharp noise. You don't let them focus on the object, and every time they start you divert their attention and they did this until the dog was able to sit with their back to the object, and eventually ignoring.
*shrug* just a couple ideas. or you can just make sure to put your webbies in a high closet for teh night, and closing the doors to all the bathrooms.
Might just be nervous energy, is your dog getting enough exercise? More exercise might promote them to sleep during the night rather than getting themselves into mischief.

Anycase, good luck!

Last edited by CrystalFlute; 10-20-2008 at 12:20 AM..
CrystalFlute is offline Female
Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #6

lashes is just really nicelashes is just really nice

kiddeokee.....I so sorry to hear that your dog has developed some bad habits. If he gets into trouble at night while you are sleeping, I would suggest that you crate him until you have had time to change this behavior. I'm sure the pellets are not good for his digestion. Then maybe in the evenings or on weekends you can slowly teach him not to bother the webbies. Put the pet on the floor and he approaches tell him tell him NO! Then have him sit, praise him and give him a treat. This will have to be repeated until he learns to leave the webbies alone. Stock up on his favorite treats because you are going to need them. But with positive reinforcement you can teach an old dog new tricks. Good Luck.
lashes is offline Female
Old 10-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #7

Lettykinz is a creator of wonder
Lettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonderLettykinz is a creator of wonder

Sounds like your dog thinks you should be paying attention to him instead of sleeping! My dogs (three labs) have TONS of toys of their own, but my webbies look just like their toys to them so I keep them WAY out of reach. I did forget once and now I have a lioness with only one eye!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #8
kiddeokee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! He's gotten about 4-5 of them. I now try my best to keep them out of reach & not forget them. I wish he would take to pet store toys instead of MY toys. He has never played with toys designed for dogs... I guess he doesn't like them because they have no eyes to rip out or beads to pull out.

It's just frustrating when I get a brand new Webbie, and then find it in shreads the next day. I guess I have learned my lesson a few times.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #9

a3doglife is a splendid one to beholda3doglife is a splendid one to beholda3doglife is a splendid one to beholda3doglife is a splendid one to behold

your dog should sleep in his crate with the door closed at night. this will save you a fortune at the vet for x rays... these types of things that may not be toxic for us but different for pets. also because they are kind of "heavy" to weight the webkinz down , may not pass through you dogs system. blockages can cause the dogs intestines to twist , and is an awful painful almost certain death. This is not meant to upset you, but I am being honest. and after getting so many plush pets, tissues ... it is a serious problem. your dog needs to be as tired as you are at bedtime he is bored and wants to play when he should be asleep. this is a sign that he is trying to say "I need more outside exercise before bedtime". I bet if you walk with your pet at night for at least 15 to 20 min just before bed he will sleep good too. remember the crate as a reinforcement & comfort too. never use it as a place of punishment.
a3doglife is offline Female
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
sharpaydo

sharpaydo is an unknown quantity at this point

Unhappy Re: My dog ate my webkinz.

right after eats alot send him to the vet and get x rays like alot of ppl do. i am a vit (vet in traning) an d if you ask ME i might be able to help

---------- sharpaydo added 3 Minutes and 58 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by kiddeokee
If my dog (a 12 lb maltese ) gets ahold of a stuffed webkinz, he will eat it. I try to keep them out of reach, but sometimes he will climb onto a table to get ahold of one (or I might accedentally forget about it when I log it in). He is a bit obsessive about them.

Once he finds it, he hides it from me until the middle of the night. This is when he will get up on the bed while I am sleeping and tear its paws out until the little packets of beads come out of the webbie.

I wake up to find tiny white beads ALL over my bed, ALL over my floor. I then find myself having to vacuum at 6 am before going to work.

Does anyone know what these beads are made of? Will they make my little furbaby sick? Anyone have any idea on how to get my dog to stop chewing on things??? He does this with tissues & toilet paper as well, and ONLY while I am sleeping.

This happened to Cheeky Monkey, Black Horse, Little Kinz St. Bernard and it seems like more.
i think he is just liking SOFT stuff whati do is i use a baby fenceand put them in bad and they NEVER go out and chew on stuff

P.S. my dog dash eats tissues

Last edited by sharpaydo; 10-20-2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
sharpaydo is offline Female
Closed