Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Gifted

williamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledge

Default Unanswered: Keystrokes misdirected when in the message editor windows

This is a relatively recent issue, where I am typing in this message box (or in visitor messages and PMs), when suddenly my keystrokes are no longer being received in the type-in box, but by the browser. When that happens, a simple backspace becomes BROWSER-BACK, and I lose my whole message! (going forward again gets you to where you were, but does not preserve the message content) Other normal keystrokes do equally bizarre and annoying, but less destructive things.

I think it may be an ad-space update, or some new on-the-fly refresh you are doing, but whatever it is, it is taking the focus away from the message pane and causing much grief. I've seen it happen in IE6 and 7. It has happened three times while typing this message, and I have to double-check and cross my fingers before I dare correct my typing. I can see the browser doing an unasked-for refresh every minute or two.

As a workaround, I try to remember to select-all periodically, and copy it. But that's not a reasonable or reliable safeguard.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
Gift Guru

WesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond reputeWesleyKinz has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 
Default Re: Keystrokes misdirected when in the message editor windows

Hi williamson!

Interesting..... For the past couple of days, while at work, I've noticed the "un-asked for refresh" as well. At work we use IE (not sure which version). This has only been very recently that this has happened. At home I use firefox and the issue is nonexistent. I know a few nites ago, WI went down for several hours. It could've been something that went a bit wonky (for lack of a better word) during that downtime.

Since I only work in the office a few days a week (I do a majority of my work from home), I don't really worry about it....especially since I'm not supposed to be on WI while I'm working anyhow So, I'll just stick to firefox until the problem has been corrected. Is that a possibility for you as well?

WesleyKinz is offline Female
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
100% Evil.
Gift Guru

Mama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talentMama Girl NH has lots of talent

I've been experiencing the same thing, but for a little over two weeks now. Just thougth it was something wrong on my end, but I am glad (sorry to be glad) to read that others are having this issue, too. I didn't know if it was a WI thing, an internet provider thing, or a my computer thing. Thanks for mentioning that you're having this issue, too.
Mama Girl NH is offline Female
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
My mama says I'm
Gifted

msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!msclockart is not just visiting!

Donation Award 

I have had that happen, but I thought it was because I was accidentally hitting the touchpad on my laptop. I'll have to pay closer attention and see if I can figure something out. Thanks for the heads-up.
msclockart is offline Male
Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
OOO Ghostkinz!
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by williamson_39
This is a relatively recent issue, where I am typing in this message box (or in visitor messages and PMs), when suddenly my keystrokes are no longer being received in the type-in box, but by the browser. When that happens, a simple backspace becomes BROWSER-BACK, and I lose my whole message! (going forward again gets you to where you were, but does not preserve the message content) Other normal keystrokes do equally bizarre and annoying, but less destructive things.

I think it may be an ad-space update, or some new on-the-fly refresh you are doing, but whatever it is, it is taking the focus away from the message pane and causing much grief. I've seen it happen in IE6 and 7. It has happened three times while typing this message, and I have to double-check and cross my fingers before I dare correct my typing. I can see the browser doing an unasked-for refresh every minute or two.

As a workaround, I try to remember to select-all periodically, and copy it. But that's not a reasonable or reliable safeguard.
I have had this happen to me as well. I was cobbling my GE and it was effectively done. I pressed to submit and somehow, I had inadvertantly placed 21 pictures instead of 20 into the completed Thread. So, I highlighted the 'offender' and hit back-space...only to watch an ENTIRE GE disappear before my very eyes. I had to go through an entire day of making it all over again. It taught me a valuable lesson, in that I should SAVE my work periodically and also to open a Word Document and create the LONG thread in it first so that I have a back-up should anything of this nature occur, again. I don't know what else to say, Williamson, other than try doing it in a Word Document or Note Pad and then copy/paste it to the thread here. I hope this eases your frustration, somewhat; you are not alone
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Deadly WHONK jg1976
Gift Guru

ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!ajoysmom is not just visiting!

Donation Award 

ok im "glad" its not just me. as others have said it was happening to them and they thought it was just their computer. well the unasked for refresh has been going on for me for 2-3 weeks now. i have also hit the backspace button to be taken back to a previous page . i have no idea why this is happening or if it will stop but i hope it does. thanks for bringing this up and thanks Dixiecup for the tips
ajoysmom is offline Female
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Gifted

williamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledgewilliamson_39 flows towards the sea of knowledge

View Post Originally Posted by Dixiecup
...try doing it in a Word Document or Note Pad and then copy/paste it to the thread here.
Good suggestion about off-line editing, especially with something complicated like a GE thread, or - the one that hit me twice last night - the long-winded random trophies one. Unfortunately, most things that catch me on it are just supposed to be quick little notes. LOL I'm typing and my window is scrolling around madly right now!

Anyway, it's not too big a deal, just a pain to have to do things twice. That backspace thing really gets me. I think there must be a fix or a way to handle it differently, because (there goes my focus again) it certainly does not happen in other sites that also do auto-refreshes.

Thanks for your comments everyone - nice to know it's not just me.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
World's largest
Webkinz :)

Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!Tj03 is not just visiting!

Yup it has been happening to me as well...I've lost some good posts due to the backspace
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
dance like a
Gift Guru

twinmom1998 is the cats pajamas!twinmom1998 is the cats pajamas!twinmom1998 is the cats pajamas!twinmom1998 is the cats pajamas!twinmom1998 is the cats pajamas!twinmom1998 is the cats pajamas!

Aha! It's NOT just me! It is definitely a pain in the rear! It seems to have been happening to me for quite a while though. A month maybe? Dixiecup, I loved your tongue-in-cheek "uncorrected" post. Thanks for the laugh in a frustrating situation!

I too have taken to occasionally (even on short messages, profile posts and PMs) copying the text to the clipboard to avoid losing all and even typing my message first in an e-mail or word doc.

I think Williamson_39 you are correct in your assessment. It seems to happen whenever the ads refresh. The last couple days I have noticed my browser window "jumping" to the left if the window is too small to include the ad area every time there is an ad refresh. So now, on top of copying frequently, I also stretch the window to include the entire width of the WI screen.

I am also getting the yellow warning bar again at the top of my browser (an activeX app wanting to install) again. Quite often the page doesn't want to load either due to waiting on ads to download!

I might have to change to the iPhone or Blue Colors format again until this is fixed...
twinmom1998 is offline Female
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
♥DREAM♥ of bunnies
Webkinz :)

swimfast551 is just really niceswimfast551 is just really nice

So it's not just me! That happens to me all the time. Plus when I type and hit the space bar it moves me down to the bottom of the page!
swimfast551 is offline Female
Closed