Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Webkinz :)

rmr16 is just really nicermr16 is just really nice

Default Re: I have a virus (trojan)

I had that! Take it to Best Buy the geek squad will fix it in about a week then you might want to get anti virus stuff like Kaspersky thats what I have and it will alert you if virus activity is located! hope this helped!
rmr16 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
icebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledgeicebear flows towards the sea of knowledge

Download Norton Antivirus program, all you have to is click scan and hit fix, then it will block it. I had a trojan yesterday, blocked it ad everything was fine.

View Post Originally Posted by rmr16
I had that! Take it to Best Buy the geek squad will fix it in about a week then you might want to get anti virus stuff like Kaspersky thats what I have and it will alert you if virus activity is located! hope this helped!
No, they are very exspencive, i tryed them and they charged to much money.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #23

rmr16 is just really nicermr16 is just really nice

Default Re: I have a virus (trojan) HOW???

View Post Originally Posted by bowzerbird
Don't need to know who, but how did it happen? Your answer would be a GREAT experience for others to learn from. Did the person send you something in an email that you downloaded and then installed?

A GREAT piece of advice here: If you download something NEVER install it right away: ALWAYS scan it with your AV software AND anti-spyware program FIRST.

Did you report the person you got the virus from to the admins here so they could have them removed from this forum. Hey, we DON'T need people like that here. There's A LOT of malicious people out there just wanting to destroy folks. Don't let 'em!

Report the person if you can remember who they are.

PLEASE for us lovers,

Ellen
oh my anti virus stuff always says keylogger ( a virus) behavior is detected when i am on here i am protected agaist it but others may not be!
rmr16 is offline Female
Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #24

a3doglife is a splendid one to beholda3doglife is a splendid one to beholda3doglife is a splendid one to beholda3doglife is a splendid one to behold

I have a few threads and posts on this exact subject. I no longer have a problem as long as i dont click on anything ad related or links to stuff ad related. It was an ad on here that caused all our problems & unfortunately it is not a concern for WI- just WI users. My virus protection installed an xtra precaution because of the WI ads to block all ads & protect against any type of identity theft type virus. What helps the best is to clear your cache and do not check the remember me box when you log on this site. and log out everytime - actually there is no need to log on at all if you do want to post a message. Also there is a program error that keeps redirecting to pages on this site that are never chosen. but if your laptop does have a trojan horse virus you will need to have it fixed by a person that knows how to do it. explaining it it way to difficult and takes a few hours to complete. I had to write it all down then do it 4 times before I got it right ... not recommended for the un-geek. good luck.

I also have AVG and have had it for a few years, this is the only site that ever tried to sneak in a trojan ad on us. but what a great protection AVG is.

Last edited by a3doglife; 06-01-2009 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: adding a line
a3doglife is offline Female
Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #25
arehouse 13 <3

Hedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonderHedgie wows us all with wonder

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you . I saw this thread yesterday, and was going to ask Dad what to do about a Trojan virus (he's pretty techy), but I'd forgotten he was away on a business trip, so I had to wait until he called up last night .

Anyhow, he said to go to this forum at broadbandreports.com:
Security Cleanup forum - dslreports.com broadband community

And the people there should be able to help you by providing the steps you'll need to clean out your PC. Be sure to follow the steps in this second link first however, so they can figure out what you need to do next.

Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance Security Cleanup FAQ - dslreports.com

There are some things I can recommend for security once your PC has been de-virused, some of which (or possibly all) you may already be doing. We use Kaspersky for virus protection, but there's a lot of other things that can help protect you too. Don't click on adverts or links (copy the location, and don't go to it at all if it's in an e-mail from someone you don't regonise or from a freind but it doesn't sound like them. If uncertain then ask them if they sent you that link). Don't click on pop-ups, and if you go to a website and you get a message saying your computer is infected, or something along those lines, don't believe it, and check your virus protection program instead (if it's like Kaspersky, then it should have a log of any virus warnings). If your computer can have multiple accounts, then run your main account as a "limited user", so you don't have installing privelages. You log on to the admin account for that. You can also download something called NoScript, which will block scrpts from non-allowed sites (you allow sites manually, so it's a little annoying at first, but it also blocks a lot of annoying ads). Don't allow all the websites on a page, because some of them will likely be advert sites, and even on WI I've gotten ads trying to give me viruses. The last thing I can think of, is set your browser so you have to accept downloads (like PDFs) so ads can't download anything without your permission. If you're runing IE, I recommend changing to a safer browser like FireFox.

Whew! That was a little long-winded. Hope I helped.
Hedgie is offline Female
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
ell I'll be, OPUS is
Gifted

bowzerbird has a reputation beyond reputebowzerbird has a reputation beyond reputebowzerbird has a reputation beyond reputebowzerbird has a reputation beyond reputebowzerbird has a reputation beyond reputebowzerbird has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by a3doglife
I have a few threads and posts on this exact subject. I no longer have a problem as long as i dont click on anything ad related or links to stuff ad related. It was an ad on here that caused all our problems & unfortunately it is not a concern for WI- just WI users. My virus protection installed an xtra precaution because of the WI ads to block all ads & protect against any type of identity theft type virus.
If this is the case, the ADMIN monitoring this thread should tell Justin, the Owner about the ads. I would think it's his responsibility to get ads from reputable folks who don't have malware floating around in their ads! I guess it's like judging your friends / associates / business partners with a little more care. I wouldn't want to do business with "shading" folks. A "red flag" should go up and heed the "intuitive" warning inside your head / heart.

So many folks using computers are just too trusting & naive. In all my "computer" years [and I'm new since 1992] I've only had 2 malware issues: one a rootkit on the laptop [took 3 days to get rid of and never took it to a shop] and last year, trojans on the computer and again cleaned without going to a shop. It's time consuming, cheaper and a good learning experience. You can apply it to the next incident of which you hope are none! Also, you can help those in the same situation as you were in.

In CA I taught virus & ID theft prevention workshops.Sounds like an oximoron to say I taught the WS's and then got a trojan just last year BUT it was my fault, I knew what I was doing and download THEE wrong thing which infected the computer. But got rid of it and learned from the lesson. That's what's important. Learn and DON'T repeat the mistake a second time.

Anyway, hope you have heeded some of the advice in this thread and please let us know what the end result was. Did you get your laptop cleaned is the important issue!

Ellen
bowzerbird is offline Female
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #27
krqcmom
Gift Guru

Jarrah knows the way
Jarrah knows the wayJarrah knows the wayJarrah knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by bowzerbird
If this is the case, the ADMIN monitoring this thread should tell Justin, the Owner about the ads. I would think it's his responsibility to get ads from reputable folks who don't have malware floating around in their ads! I guess it's like judging your friends / associates / business partners with a little more care. I wouldn't want to do business with "shading" folks. A "red flag" should go up and heed the "intuitive" warning inside your head / heart.
If you know which ad the virus came from then be sure to notify the Mods - they can ususally get an ad removed - but they need to know which one it is.

Justin does not pick which ads go on WI - it's a service that provides them - though he can ask to have a "do not include" list (that's happened before when inappropriate ads snuck in).

Another option - don't click on ads! or become and Insider Insider (no ads!)
Jarrah is offline Female
Closed