Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Gifted

Quack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicness
Quack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicness

Default Answered: Hotlinking question.

Honestly? I never got this. People aren't clear enough. So I made pictures.

Look at this first picture. It illustrates someone posting the DIRECT LINK to the picture. So, when you click on it, the picture will show up. Is this hot linking or not?

Click the image to open in full size.
Now we get to the bottom picture. It is a picture of someone hitting the "insert image"
Click the image to open in full size.Icon and inserting the DIRECT LINK. When they hit okay, the image automatically appears in their post. Is this hot linking or not?

Thank you.
Best Answer - Posted by EXOTERIC
I couldn't explain it better than google..here's techy talk for ya All of these are HOT LINKING

1.Inline linking (also known as hotlinking, leeching, piggy-backing, direct linking, offsite image grabs) is the use of a linked object, often an image, from one site into a web page belonging to a second site. The second site is said to have an inline link to the site where the object is located.

2.is the process by which one links to an image stored on one site yet it appears on one or more other sites. If done without permission, this is considered unethical since one is running up a bandwidth bill on someone elses tab.

3providing the ability within an online manual to jump from place to place by clicking on table of contents and index entries, cross-references, or icons.

SO, your examples
It's not ok...
...to share an image by copying the link location directly from another site to WI.

It's ok to..
..share an image by hosting the image...say on tinypic or flickr.

It's ok to..
..post a link to direct that person to where the original image is stored.

btw... you can tell if an image is hot-linked if you right click on it and view it's link location (copy / paste).
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
SophieRecords!
Webkinz :)

SophieKinz can ride a flying orange
SophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orange

Default Re: Hotlinking question.

Hotlinking is where you copy and paste a picture onto WebkinzInsider. Posting a link is OKAY. Does that answer your question?

EDIT

Sorry, for some reason the link to the guide I was going to post isn't working, so here is what the thread says [credit to FIA]:

Spoiler: show

Originally Posted by FIA
Hotlinking" is when, instead of saving a picture to your computer and then uploading it to Webkinz Insider, you copy the address of the picture on another site and use that address to post the picture here on WI. This takes away server/processing resources from the other site and can slow down Webkinz Insider because WI's server has to look back at that other site every time it wants to load a page. If the other site has a small or slow server, this can drag down both sites.

There are exceptions. Sites like "tinypic", "photobucket", "imageshack", etc that are set up specifically for you to hotlink to are different. These sites are made for hotlinking. They have super servers that are very fast and are set up to handle this sort of thing. Any site that actually gives you the code and tells you to cut and paste it to where you want the image to go is fine.

Thank you for understanding.

--FIA

Here is a much more detailed explanation from the site WEBWEAVER:

Originally Posted by webweaver
You see an image you'd love to add to your website, you:
  1. Download it to your hard drive and upload it to your own server (after checking that is is allowed to be used)... or,
  2. Add it to your page without uploading it to your website.
If you chose #1, congratulations, you've already decided to not hotlink!

If you chose number 2... please read why this is theft.

Please click HERE to read the rest of the article.

Originally Posted by webweaver
Bandwidth is a bit like gas for a car. Every time you drive (or a file is loaded), a bit of fuel (or bandwidth) is used up. Now imagine if each night one of your neighbors siphoned out a tiny bit for their own car... then other neighbors thought "I'll just take a couple drops as well"... by morning your fuel tank is empty. Your neighbors each thought taking just a tiny bit would be unnoticeable.. but added all up it left nothing for you.

Serving up images is not only usually our biggest consumer of bandwidth, when others remotely link to them (ie. embed them in their websites from our servers without our permission), we have to pay... bandwidth is not free! Most websites have a limited amount of data transfer and the website owners either have to cough up extra money each month to pay the fees, or face shutting down.

Last edited by SophieKinz; 01-08-2011 at 11:08 AM..
SophieKinz is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness
MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness

Posting the link is okay, I believe.
But I think if you JUST post the picture, like using the [IMG][/IMG] codes, then it's hotlinking.
MeWuvKitties is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
SophieRecords!

SophieKinz can ride a flying orange
SophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orange

View Post Originally Posted by MeWuvKitties
Posting the link is okay, I believe.
But I think if you JUST post the picture, like using the [IMG][/IMG] codes, then it's hotlinking.
No, using the [IMG][/IMG] codes is actually what one of the options is. You go to a photo sharing site such as ImageShack.us, PhotoBucket.com, or TinyPic.com, upload the picture, and then they give you the [IMG][/IMG] code for forums that you copy and paste to here. But copy and pasting the picture directly from a WEBSITE to HERE is not okay, THAT is what is considered hotlinking
SophieKinz is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
FIA
FluffyInAlabama
Gift Guru

FIA has disabled reputation

Posting a link to the picture, one that doesn't display the picture here on WI, is fine. The person has to click on the link and go over to that site to look at the picture. It's not stealing because you're looking at the original image on the original site.

FIA is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #6

xoWiLDCREATiONS will become famous soon enough

I think copying and pasting the link of the picture is hot-linking. I'm not very clear on this either, but thats part of what I understood.
xoWiLDCREATiONS is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness
MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by SophieKinz1999
No, using the [IMG][/IMG] codes is actually what one of the options is. You go to a photo sharing site such as ImageShack.us, PhotoBucket.com, or TinyPic.com, upload the picture, and then they give you the [IMG][/IMG] code for forums that you copy and paste to here. But copy and pasting the picture directly from a WEBSITE to HERE is not okay, THAT is what is considered hotlinking
No, that's what I meant.
You can get any image link and add the [IMG][/IMG] around it, and it'd still be hotlinking I believe.
But obviously if you get them from photobucket or tinypic, it isn't hotlinking.
I'm just saying, because I've seen peopel hotlink by taking images off a site (for example, Google images), and then just add [IMG][/IMG] around the link.
MeWuvKitties is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

How can you tell if someone has done that? (like copying and pasting from a site) Is there a way to look at a picture and know? I'm so ignorant when it comes to this type of stuff.
Desty is offline Female
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
deedee6
Gifted

lego has accomplished something fantabulous
lego has accomplished something fantabulouslego has accomplished something fantabulouslego has accomplished something fantabulouslego has accomplished something fantabulouslego has accomplished something fantabulouslego has accomplished something fantabulous

Hot linking has nothing to do with posting a link. It's copy and pasting links from a website to another.
lego is offline Female
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
She's a Grooooovy
Gift Guru

EXOTERIC is a forum hero
EXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum hero

I couldn't explain it better than google..here's techy talk for ya All of these are HOT LINKING

1.Inline linking (also known as hotlinking, leeching, piggy-backing, direct linking, offsite image grabs) is the use of a linked object, often an image, from one site into a web page belonging to a second site. The second site is said to have an inline link to the site where the object is located.

2.is the process by which one links to an image stored on one site yet it appears on one or more other sites. If done without permission, this is considered unethical since one is running up a bandwidth bill on someone elses tab.

3providing the ability within an online manual to jump from place to place by clicking on table of contents and index entries, cross-references, or icons.

SO, your examples
It's not ok...
...to share an image by copying the link location directly from another site to WI.

It's ok to..
..share an image by hosting the image...say on tinypic or flickr.

It's ok to..
..post a link to direct that person to where the original image is stored.

btw... you can tell if an image is hot-linked if you right click on it and view it's link location (copy / paste).
EXOTERIC is offline Female
Closed

Tags
s.m.o.p.h.i.e