Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
nisha1rocks
Webkinz :)

nisha1rocks is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Help! WI MODS, ADMINS, FOUNDERS, AND MEMBERS! COME HERE! URGENT!

I agree that this site is safe, but you never know. Just because this site is safe does not mean that the people on it are.

There are these things called cookies and everyone has them. I'll make up a fake scenario to explain it to you. Bob is a bad person. We call him a computer predator. Bob looks through the forums on wi and picks a random person that seems like a kid by either there avatar, post, username, or signature. Bob then attaches his cookies to the person's cookies who he chooses. Lets say this person is Jill. Now since Bob is in Jill's computer he can see all of the sites Jill is going on. Now he knows what jill likes. Mabey jill is always on a tennis site. Bob knows that she likes tennis. Once Bob knows a lot about her, he pm's her. He says that Jill is a random winner of his drawing from a hat. Jill then thinks that bob is a nice person for giving her a gift. So, Jill asks Bob if he wants to become friends with her on wi. This is just what Bob wants. They now chat and Jill does not give Bob any personal info about herself, but Bob does. Bob says that he likes tennis even though he does not. He says this because you tend to like someone more when they are like you. Jill becomes more trustworthy of Bob. Cookies do not just say where you are on the web, but they can track where you live too. Now that Jill is friends with him she says that she is going on vacation next week. Bob now knows that her home will be empty next week so he robbs it. Many other things can happen too.

I think that you should show this to your parents so they know that you are now informed about computer dangers so you will not fall for any sneaky tricks.Do not be scared though, because this does not happen often, but since wi is a safe site, a computer predator knows that you will not expect it. Wi is a great site for everyone, and is safe as long as you are careful. I hope this helps wilt your parents.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
huskyfan2008

meatball is on a distinguished road

WI is a very safe site, unlike many others.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
SavvyG1234

SavvyG1234 will become famous soon enough

I agree! Thanks, guys! Keep posting!
SavvyG1234 is offline Female
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
phuzz. Call me m00
Gifted

m00c0w is a jewel in the roughm00c0w is a jewel in the rough

i will sign!
m00c0w
m00c0w is offline Female
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
Gifted

cuffy is just really nicecuffy is just really nice

I've been on numerous websites, chatrooms, and bulletin boards since the 1990's. Honestly, this is the SAFEST website I have ever used. It is closely monitored, and easy to alert a mod if something does sneak through. Once I saw someone post their age. I alerted a mod, and by the time I went back to check the post the age had already been removed. You don't see that kind of commitment in the "real" world.
I don't have kids, but if I did, I would not be worried if they came here.
If your parents are that worried, maybe you can come to some kind of compromise. Like have them get their own account and use the site every night for a week before they make up their mind. Or that you agree to only use WI on a computer that's in a main area of the house, like the living room or a place where they can peek over your shoulder if they want to. Or- and I knwo this is hard.. But let them read your PM's and posts. I know that it feels like an invastion of privacy to have them do that. But after they do that for awhile and see that you are being safe and responsible, eventually they'll ease up on peeking.
You hear so much in the news about kids having bad things happen to them because of the internet and you can't blame them for being concerned. To some parents the words "Chat room" or whatever you wnat to call it make them cringe and fear the worst. They are just worried but once they see how it's run, I think theyll ease up a little bit.
Good luck!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #16
mattmen34
mattmen34 is an unknown quantity at this point

You gotta tell them that it is really safe.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
SavvyG1234

SavvyG1234 will become famous soon enough

I know, but I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED your help! Keep posting! :-)
SavvyG1234 is offline Female
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
the love of iPods &l
Gifted

webkinzlover24 is on a distinguished road

honestly, i had ot think about making an accoutn or not. You never know whats a abd site and what isnt. But after a couple of months coming on here and checking out the thing. its seemed really safe so i made an account. Its a safe website and me 2 i have never seen a abd word or anything that is mean on here. i would be honored to sign your petition. good luck!
webkinzlover24 is offline Female
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
nisha1rocks

nisha1rocks is on a distinguished road

It is safe, but you never know if the people on it are. I am not saying this so that your parents will not let you on, but it is true. I hope that you can still stay on, but your parents have more controll over you than we do. They know what is best and some day you will be glad that they made that decision.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #20
BaBa3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a grandmother, so please understand that while I believe that you should do as your parents ask, I also believe that their decision should be based on the actual facts concerning WI after having educated themselves about it.

Having said that, I would ask if any of your parents have actually investigated WI with their own eyes? Or are they getting their information from other parents who may never have visited this site? A decision based only on what they THINK is going on here is not an informed decision, and therefore not fair. Once they've educated themselves and still request that you do not visit anymore, then there's probably nothing you can do to change their minds.

Some websites are indeed dangerous, but I do not believe that this one is. The only way to assure your parents that this site is safe for you is to ask them to see for themselves before asking you to quit. If my grandchildren could read, I would definitely let them participate on WI. It's fun and informative and has been a great help to me.

Good luck to you. Let us know what the final outcome is.
Closed