Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

Bloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum master
Bloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum masterBloo's Pal is a forum master

Default Answered: Dock Cleaning Questions

I learned from the Fall Fest thread that I have to cut waaay back on the number of items in my dock before the leaves start flying. I don’t have a lot of empty storage items in my rooms, so I’d like to know what moves will give me the most bang for my buck.

What is the best way to subtract items to speed up the system? I am not computer literate, so I don’t know how coding affects the dock. Is each item equal in the amount of space it takes up whether it is a single item in a block or one of a number of duplicate items? For example, would one chair and one table, each in its own block, take up the same amount of space as two duplicate shirts in the same block and with only one picture?

Would using three food items to make a recipe item subtract two items or is the recipe food the sum of its three parts?

Bloo's Pal is offline Female
Best Answer - Posted by Cloud One
I'm not sure about whether one item taking up a space in a dock or 2 of that same item taking up that same one space, makes a difference memory-wise since the system still has to keep track of 2 items. However, it certainly makes it easier for scrolling purposes to have 4 items taking up one space rather than 4 different items taking up 4 different spaces in a dock. When I try to clear my dock, I take out the individual items first and leave the multiples for later since they only take up one dock space and that makes it easier for me to find things in the dock.

As for recipe foods, I'm pretty sure that one recipe food is a single item and not considered 3 items (the sum of its parts.)

There's a sale on beach coolers right now. This might be good time to buy a few and get some food out of the dock

As for storage, the wicker storage boxes are the least expensive, but if space is an issue, the upright black and red "rock" 2 drawer cabinets hold the most items per "square" section of floor space. The blue striped, cream, and orange two drawer storage cabinets are the next most space effective storage devices (I use those because I don't like the black and red ones even though they're more practical lol!) [Edit: I changed my mind about those. The Sky Blue Book Box is better. See my post on the next page (post #12)]

Another good way to clear you dock is to simply eat or sell a bunch of stuff, or better yet, hit the trading room! I try to trade several small items for one larger one when possible. That helps.

Good luck with your preparations!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Gifted

Cloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socksCloud One rocks our collective socks

Default Re: Dock Cleaning Questions

I'm not sure about whether one item taking up a space in a dock or 2 of that same item taking up that same one space, makes a difference memory-wise since the system still has to keep track of 2 items. However, it certainly makes it easier for scrolling purposes to have 4 items taking up one space rather than 4 different items taking up 4 different spaces in a dock. When I try to clear my dock, I take out the individual items first and leave the multiples for later since they only take up one dock space and that makes it easier for me to find things in the dock.

As for recipe foods, I'm pretty sure that one recipe food is a single item and not considered 3 items (the sum of its parts.)

There's a sale on beach coolers right now. This might be good time to buy a few and get some food out of the dock

As for storage, the wicker storage boxes are the least expensive, but if space is an issue, the upright black and red "rock" 2 drawer cabinets hold the most items per "square" section of floor space. The blue striped, cream, and orange two drawer storage cabinets are the next most space effective storage devices (I use those because I don't like the black and red ones even though they're more practical lol!) [Edit: I changed my mind about those. The Sky Blue Book Box is better. See my post on the next page (post #12)]

Another good way to clear you dock is to simply eat or sell a bunch of stuff, or better yet, hit the trading room! I try to trade several small items for one larger one when possible. That helps.

Good luck with your preparations!

Last edited by Cloud One; 09-12-2009 at 05:23 AM..
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Gift Guru

Galfam has disabled reputation

i do know how to code HTML, but i couldn't do anything close to Webkinz...
Anyway, i didn't know about that... guess i better go and clean out my dock!
Galfam is offline Male
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
ill PM
Gift Guru

Ergoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talentErgoiam has lots of talent

Donation Award 

I hope this make it somewhat less complicated for you... by what one of the reps from Ganz told me it is the overall number of items in the dock that counts... not what or how many or in each block I was told that it is better to not have more than 150 items in the dock, and about 80 to 100 pets per account... as we well know there are many who exceed these numbers without any problems... Have fun during the Fest.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
oohoo!!!

auntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guideauntjenny7 is a golden guide

View Post Originally Posted by Bloo's Pal
I learned from the Fall Fest thread that I have to cut waaay back on the number of items in my dock before the leaves start flying.
I usually have quite a lot in my dock, and I don't seem to have problems with any click-to-win situations. I have plenty of storage rooms, for clothes, food, and furniture, but I still have around 400 items in my dock. Again, I don't generally have any problems with an overloaded dock.

As suggested, the rattan toy boxes are good, inexpensive storage.

Last edited by auntjenny7; 09-11-2009 at 03:50 PM..
auntjenny7 is offline Female
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
1collector
Gifted

wkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clownwkwcollecter is cool as a bunny clown

Donation Award 

the only problem i have encountered is when you first log into webkinz and hit the "get items from storage" button at the bottom. If you have too many items and you are on a slower computer then it sometimes gives a script error "a script you are trying to run is slowing down. do you want to stop this script" or something. If this happens you just click "no" and in a few seconds (or minutes if your computer is really slow) your items will load.
I usually have about 600 items in my dock without loading issues, and have had over 1000 at one point in my dock.

It is suggested that you only keep 100 or so items in your dock to prevent problems.
wkwcollecter is offline Female
Old 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
alg1128

alg1128 is a glorious beacon of lightalg1128 is a glorious beacon of lightalg1128 is a glorious beacon of light

i dont think you need to but back on your dock unless you have like 5000 items in it
alg1128 is offline Female
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #8

ebs01 is on a distinguished road

I was told by a rep that you could only have 100 items in your dock. My question for Ganz is this - they do EVERYTHING they can to keep up buying more pets, and more items, but they make it impossible to find them if they aren't in your dock!! Let's face it, if you have a house with over 50 rooms, how in the heck do you find your stuff? If you shove food into a refrigerator, or clothes into a storage bin, do you know where that stuff is? I spend waaaaayyyyyy too much time trying to find things, so I end up leaving them in my dock until I know for sure what I want to do with them. 100 items is ridiculous!!! And only 50 pets? Crazy?!? Not possible if you are a serious collector. Truly, the answer, in my opinion is for Ganz to spend a little time re-doing the inventory system to make it easy to find things and pets, no matter what room they are in, or what storage unit they are in, etc. If a pet is wearing a special crown, and you want to put it on another pet, you should be able to find that crown no matter where it is, without looking at every single pet to find it. Ganz, please re-do the inventory system!!!!!!!
Thanks for listening!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Gifted

xxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talent

WI Subscriber

I would do your recipe idea. Also, if I were you use all of those storage containers.
Another idea would be - if you have stuff lying around then look at it and think about what you could do with it...could you design a room? Or if they don't go anywhere and if you don't find a need for them then sell them to the WShop. Hope I helped and GOOD LUCK!
xxaeroxx is offline Female
Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
illiam has a bunny

Bindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of art
Bindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of artBindidog is a work of art

A rep told me that is wasn't good to have more than 100 items in your dock, and that is why I had multiple clothing items disappear a couple of months ago. I told her that Ganz needs to tell us that in the Webkinz user guide book, and her reply was: "Well no one reads that anyway!"

My best advice to store stuff is the toy box from the cloud theme, it stores 6 items in it, and only costs 98 dollars. While other boxes store up to 8 items, they also take up two blocks on the floor. So if you go with the cloud boxes, you can store 12 items per every two blocks, instead of the 8 per every two blocks. I'm not sure if this will help, but at least it's one option! Good luck!
Bindidog is offline Female
Closed