Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #61
Gifted

Plainlyme will become famous soon enough

Default Re: CHARMS HAVE LEAD IN THEM!!!!

I was really surprised to see that this issue has resurfaced. That is not to mean that everyone should have known, because I know that we have many new members here.
Please, please go back and reread Dixie Cup's posts. These are thorough and completely true to the best of my knowledge. I researched the problem when it first came up. I have a friend who does research at Johns Hopkins University on Alzheimer's Disease which may or may not be related to lead, aluminum, mercury, or other environmental contaminants. I also have a friend who is an attorney who had been contacted back when this was such a news media circus, who investigated it thoroughly and declined to take the case because there was no medical or physical proof to support it.
This all came about when I was searching for one last charm to complete the set for a child. not my own. These items do come with a label to tell you what ages they are inappropriate for. I went to a shop that I never frequent because her prices are so high, but she is a very knowledgeable woman. She had talked to her sales rep and then to several higher ups at Ganz because she did not want to be liable if she was selling a dangerous product. Her conclusion, based on information from Ganz and her own research, was that some lead was found by a laboratory that Ganz had chosen to test the charms...but it was well below the dangerous levels. Now if there is a problem here, it would because of government who sets the limits. I sometimes wonder if that has more to do with who the drug company is that is producing the product, because you can find a "scientific study" to support any cause that you may have.
I still believe that whoever is in charge of marketing and the web site, all combined have an IQ about half of Dixie Cup's..but that is another story. LOL.
Back to my store owner. She said that she was originally asked by Ganz to pull the charms (not recall them) until they could be tested. After their tests showed them to be under the acceptable levels, so therefore safe according to the government, they were allowed to sell them again. Then when the stink would not die down, Ganz quit sending them to the dealers until an independent laboratory could confirm that they were safe, which is exactly what happened. Our government says that they are safe. Otherwise, they would have made Ganz recall them all. By then, the company that was making them went out of business or decided that it was not worth the trouble, as they could have been sued also. Ganz was then faced with finding another company, with a huge raise in prices, or just discontinue them. They chose the latter. Then they later came out with the virtual ones. A very smart alternative.
So, in my opinion, read the labels and do not give them to young children. Keep everything like that out of your mouth. If you are afraid of them, let your Webbies wear them. Pandamonium is wearing his panda charm around his neck even as I type. Learn to make your own decisions and do your own research if it is a matter that really concerns you. Or just ask Dixie Cup. Please don't kill me for that one, Ms. Goober. LOL.
Enjoy your charms, just keep them out of your mouth. You would not believe the number of kids (ages 10+) that I x-ray who have swallowed quaters, paper clips, batteries, etc...all with the potential to be far more dangerous than the charms. If you want a shock, depending on where you live, get a copy of the last testing that was done of the water that you drink and see what it contains and the levels that the government thinks is safe.

Happy Holidays,

Pandamonium and Plainlyme
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #62
♀ jaxcat ϓ
Gift Guru

jaxcat has disabled reputation

View Post Originally Posted by Plainlyme
Please, please go back and reread Dixie Cup's posts. These are thorough and completely true to the best of my knowledge.

Happy Holidays,

Pandamonium and Plainlyme
Thank you for bringing that up. I think a lot of people are only reading the first couple of posts and then replying.
jaxcat is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #63
BC is a
Webkinz :)

Maddiebear is a splendid one to beholdMaddiebear is a splendid one to beholdMaddiebear is a splendid one to beholdMaddiebear is a splendid one to behold

I have all the charms and the bracelets and stuff...I'm throwing them out.
Maddiebear is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #64
Charis01
Gift Guru

Me2Me2 has much to be proud ofMe2Me2 has much to be proud ofMe2Me2 has much to be proud ofMe2Me2 has much to be proud ofMe2Me2 has much to be proud of

View Post Originally Posted by Maddiebear

Their really is no need but if you want to its your choice. As Plainlyme pointed out we handle far more deadly things on a regular basis. She used the example if your drinking water and thermometers. Also did you know that if one of the new energy efficient light-bulbs breaks it release mercury which can also be deadly. And that by law you need to dispose of them at a toxic waste dump? Do you know how many germs are on a public door nob? Or how much bacteria can be on lemon slices in restaurants?

We encounter many harmful things every day and just because something CAN be possibly harmful does not mean we have to throw them away or never touch them, just take a few simple precautions.
Me2Me2 is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #65
Cαℓℓ mє Sαяαн

hereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective sockshereigns56 rocks our collective socks

View Post Originally Posted by iamsarahsue
I am wondering the same as Snoopysgirl... do the necklace/bracelet parts have lead or only the charms? Does anyone know?
I don't think sooooo
And some of the charms don't
they were just tested
like the panda charm doesn't I think
Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #66
weevie97

mantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do have lead in them . wich means do not **** themor get them anywhere close to your mouth.i usually don't buy charms.
mantateelover is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #67
Wiggles1231 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend swallowed one like a year ago.
Wiggles1231 is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #68
megamu
Gift Guru

megamom is a glorious beacon of lightmegamom is a glorious beacon of lightmegamom is a glorious beacon of light

There is more lead in the wiring for your Christmas lights, and in so many things in our homes, than there is in the charms. Don't chew on them, don't eat them, and relax!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #69
I luvz U!

Webberlily has disabled reputation

This is such a tempest in a teapot! Even if you were to eat a charm, you would NOT get lead poisoning. However small and bigger children, and yes even adults, can CHOKE on a charm. Common sense and hygiene tell you to keep jewelry of any type out of your mouth. Wear your charms all you like, finger them, rub them, touch them all day long, you will NOT get lead poisoning...
Webberlily is offline Female
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #70
Do you like cake?

rachel21 has much to be proud ofrachel21 has much to be proud ofrachel21 has much to be proud ofrachel21 has much to be proud of

View Post Originally Posted by Maddiebear
You don't have to. You can still where them and play with them as long as you don't eat them or chew them or put them in your mouth is what people here are saying. Because eating them and chewing them or puting them in your mouth is just gross...
rachel21 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
don't eat charms!, it's not a big deal guys!, its not a big deal!!, no they don't!, take a chill pill, the have lead, theycouldkillyou!, theyonlyhaveabitoflead