Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness
MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness

Default Answered: Camera Question

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a digital camera and I know that if/when I get one that I'll need a SD Card to hold the images on. I went to the camera's website and they have this chart saying how many pictures each card can hold, but there are a bunch of different versions and I'm totally confused....
Here's the chart:

Click the image to open in full size.

And I'm just totally confused about all of that, like the different pixels and stuff...
So can anyone help?
MeWuvKitties is offline Female
Best Answer - Posted by DragonsFly
OK, let me try. To start with you said you got this chart from the CAMERA'S website so I assume you know which camera you are getting. The reason that is important is because not all cameras take SD cards and of those that do not all take SDHC cards. Since this is the website for the camera it is safe to assume this one does.

As for all the different pixel counts... Resolution or picture quality is measured in pixels per inch. A computer screen always shows graphics at 72 pixels per inch. so a 640x480 picture will be roughly 8.5x6.5 on your screen. For printed pictures you calculate the other way. 640x480 pixels in a 6x4 picture is around 115 pixels per inch, ok but not great. and at 10x8 it would be about 60 pixels per inch, too fuzzy to be worth printing.

A lot of what pixel setting to put the camera on depends on what you are going to want to do with the picture. If you ever think you will want to blow something up to poster size you will want the largest pixel setting. I will say I would NEVER recommend the lowest pixel setting but I usually use something that is a step off the top setting.

It is a trade off. Better pictures means you get fewer of them on your camera. On the plus side once you load them onto your computer you can wipe the card and start over...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Diabetes Awareness
Webkinz :)

DragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshine
DragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshine

WI Subscriber
Default Re: Camera Question

OK, let me try. To start with you said you got this chart from the CAMERA'S website so I assume you know which camera you are getting. The reason that is important is because not all cameras take SD cards and of those that do not all take SDHC cards. Since this is the website for the camera it is safe to assume this one does.

As for all the different pixel counts... Resolution or picture quality is measured in pixels per inch. A computer screen always shows graphics at 72 pixels per inch. so a 640x480 picture will be roughly 8.5x6.5 on your screen. For printed pictures you calculate the other way. 640x480 pixels in a 6x4 picture is around 115 pixels per inch, ok but not great. and at 10x8 it would be about 60 pixels per inch, too fuzzy to be worth printing.

A lot of what pixel setting to put the camera on depends on what you are going to want to do with the picture. If you ever think you will want to blow something up to poster size you will want the largest pixel setting. I will say I would NEVER recommend the lowest pixel setting but I usually use something that is a step off the top setting.

It is a trade off. Better pictures means you get fewer of them on your camera. On the plus side once you load them onto your computer you can wipe the card and start over...
DragonsFly is offline Female
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness
MeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicnessMeWuvKitties is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by DragonsFly

Okay, I'd probably be using it for a little bit of everything but mostly just regular pictures. As for the pixels, you've helped me understand it a little better, but one thing: If you zoom in, does that affect the pixel size? If so, does it make the pixel amount bigger or smaller? Sorry, I'm kinda a newbie at digital cameras, I'm just used to taking basic pictures on a digi, I've never really had to know what size card to get or anything.

Also, I'm looking at getting an accessory kit that comes with a case, a screen protector, a cleaning cloth, and a soft card. Do you know what a soft card is?

Last edited by MeWuvKitties; 04-16-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Diabetes Awareness

DragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshineDragonsFly is a ray of sunshine

WI Subscriber

For card size I usually go with the biggest one I can reasonably afford that the camera will take. But it also depends on where you are shooting in relation to your computer. If I am shooting around town and going home every night to upload pictures a 1GB holding 200 photos at the highest setting is great. If I'm going on a two week vacation to Alaska 8GB MIGHT be enough but I would pick up several cards (in fact I did)

As for the zoom. There are two kinds of zoom, optical and digital. Optical is where the lens actually moves and that does not affect the pixel count, digital is where the camera pretends to zoom but really is just cropping your photo and that DOES lower the pixel count. The more you zoom the less pixels you have.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

For card size I usually go with the biggest one I can reasonably afford that the camera will take. But it also depends on where you are shooting in relation to your computer. If I am shooting around town and going home every night to upload pictures a 1GB holding 200 photos at the highest setting is great. If I'm going on a two week vacation to Alaska 8GB MIGHT be enough but I would pick up several cards (in fact I did)

As for the zoom. There are two kinds of zoom, optical and digital. Optical is where the lens actually moves and that does not affect the pixel count, digital is where the camera pretends to zoom but really is just cropping your photo and that DOES lower the pixel count. The more you zoom the less pixels you have.
Wow, you've helped alot. I have one more question and then I think that's it. I'm looking at getting an accessory kit that comes with a case, a screen protector, a cleaning cloth, and a soft card. What is a soft card??
Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Diabetes Awareness

WI Subscriber

Sorry can't help on that one. I have never heard of a soft card.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Wacky Biscuit♥
Gift Guru

Sorry can't help on that one. I have never heard of a soft card.
Yeah, I'm not sure what it is either. I'm assuming that since it comes with a screen protector and a cleaning cloth that it's used to get smudges off, but I have no clue. Anyways thanks, you have been a HUGE help!
Closed