Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
furbyamy
Webkinz :)

Amyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledge

Default Unanswered: Cache? Could someone please help us understand?

We do not understand any of what exactly Cache is doing exactly. It seems that every time we clear these things out, it causes us to not be able to log back into our accounts anymore. Not sure why that is. It seems to tell us our passwords are wrong.
Is it somehow changing the passwords when we do this or some other thing it's changing that we are not understanding?

Thanks,
Amy
Amyloveswebkinz is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
I luvz U!

Webberlily has disabled reputation

Default Re: Cache? Could someone please help us understand?

There is "clear your cache" and "clear cookies". The cache has a memory of the recent internet pages that you consulted. The passwords are usually in cookies.

You can clear the two separately. Usually I only clear cache, I don't clear my cookies because - like you, I don't like to have to find and enter my passwords all over again. Usually clearing cache (internet files) is all that is required. Doing this is good for your computer and makes it run faster.
Webberlily is offline Female
Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Yipes bunnies

Lucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to all
Lucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to all

Cache is your TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES. to clear or work with cache click on TOOLS on the browser page on IE and Firefox. In IE you will get a drop down box and the first selection is DELETE BROWSING HISTORY. click that line and you will get another box asking which parts to delete. Do not delete the cookies as it contains your passwords for email, webkinz, etc. just check TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES and that clears your cache. It is clearing the files for today meaning your currents internet session. Eventhough you are deleting today it is still saved on your computer in the HISTORY file. good luck
Lucy Hippo is offline Female
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
furbyamy

Amyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledgeAmyloveswebkinz flows towards the sea of knowledge

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for all this great information. Wish the repairmen would tell us these things. Since we pay them, and they don't tell us any of this.
Looks like they must be clearing out my cookies, since everytime they bring the computer back, the original problems we called them out for is still not fixed, along with new problems such as not being able to get into accounts anymore that were working just fine before they took the computer.
I couldn't get into my account here on WebkinzInsider after the last guy we got took it. It said my password was wrong. Before he left I was trying to find out what do I do, since when I was trying to fil'l out the information to get my account back, one of the things it was asking for is a "referrer id". Which we still don't know what a "referrer id" even is. The repairman didn't know either. So, he was no help at all.
Also after this guy, we just had someone different who did Remote Access, has now messed up things worse again with so many things, and seems to be worse than past repairmen have done. We are now beginning to see alot of the other reasons why this guy messed up so bad. He doesn't even know how DVD's work as he has never used them, and both computers have DVD's installed in
them.
But one of the most upsetting things is that he did things after we told him not to do it. He says he is going to rename files. Which one thing we know is that you can't have files with the same name, or they will overwrite it. We already have files with the name it looks like he is fixing to rename them too. Plus with all the years of dealing with constant problems, we already know what will happen without this file he was going to rename to.
Here is what he says, "We must rename all index.html files to index_2.html (or something similar which is different from index.html)."
Still keep trying to get him to answer 1 question. Why do things work just fine without renaming the files if this is what we are suppose to do.
So, anyways, right after he renamed the files, we keep getting this message in all red "warning no index.htm or index.html files"
Also, things that are not suppose to be online are now online, and he seems to have messed up other things such as bill to ship to stuff too. You know how when you buy something you can have the ship to addresses different, and you get the bill and the gift goes to your friend or relatives.
But then some of the other things too is he seems to like to assume things, without verifying things. He seems to think we are using things we don't use at all. Looks like he thinks we use a mobile phone or something since here is what he says in one of his messages, "Some people with iPhones can't see shockwave flash anyway, so some of those websites are actually too flashy and are when viewed with iPhones."
We don't know why he is telling us this at all, and then he wont tell us where he put the files when we keep asking him what are some of the characters, since yes, this is the other problem too. It's hard to tell what some things are. There are no files that say "index_2.html". In some of the messages he has written, the characters have changed, and now he is saying other things he should have said a long time ago about renaming the files was only suppose to happen temporarily. Here is what he says: "Yeah, you can rename them back to index.html instead of index2.html. We needed to do that to enable the directory display (as you noticed). That was helpful for downloading files, but it disables the automatic loading of index.html. So it was supposed to be temporary. Let me know if you want help ranaming the files back to index.html."
Here is another thing too that is difficult to still understand what all he actually did.
"Yes, index2.html is basically your backup. I just moved the index.html file to index2.html. (Basically renamed the files)."
With all the years of doing things, we know moving something and renaming things are totally different functions. Some things he is even saying now sound like he thinks we are beginners who don't know how to open files at all. We have been opening files day after day the exact same ways.
One problem I have with things in life is due to some learning disabilities I have, with Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary. Great with Math. This is why I can't take any classes at the college here that deal with all the heavy reading. But can take any Tech and Math classes. One of the classes I've taken is Accounting on Computers.
So, all these things help me to know when things are not correct and has been changed in anyway. But when you didn't do it, someone else did. So, if I rename something and then don't tell someone the new name would be rude to do. Which the guy who did the remote access, since I thought I knew him well enough. I met him through taking Taekwondo. But have not seen him in years and of course he lives in another state now. But the only other thing which is a bit funny in some ways, is that, he does mention in one of his messages about being vague about things. The thing we find funny is that most people if they are being vague, would not admit to it at all.
Also, physically I can't do things either due to my health, and stress of course makes any illness worse. Not being able to use my computer at all over the past year or so, and problems with my mom's too due to all this, is not helping much at all.
I can't even access parts of my Webkinz account. When I try and go into the estore part. It sounds like my email address is maybe what is wrong. Tried to fill out the form and it wont send me my password and sounds like my email is not even there anymore.
Since I can't get my friend to tell anymore than he is, still not sure if he could have put his email address in, or someone elses, since he changed so many things and did so many things we don't know why he is doing things. He mentions something about changing links too.
Don't know what about the links he is changing, since he says he is adjusting links. Which means he is sitting there hitting something on his keyboard at his house that only he knows what he is doing.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Yipes bunnies

Lucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to all
Lucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to allLucy Hippo is a mentor to all

hi amy, i havent finished your post yet will do so...your first compaint. when you get your compter repaired the easiest thing for them to do is re-install the operating system aka: windows. that wipes out alot of your inputs, etc.

second about renaming. by your example the tech is saving the file under another name eg, looks like he only added the number 2 to the name. he wants to keep original and test out the second file. also, files can be renamed and also the extension, eg, .dll or .tmp can be changed.

amy html file is an internet file

to find any file or anything on your compter use your SEARCH option. i have win7 and search is at the start button under ALL PROGRAMS.

you might also look into doing a REGISTRY cleaning. tell you tech guy to do that for you. good luck you sound sooooooo upset. maybe try the company call (i think) The Geek Squad.

Last edited by Lucy Hippo; 01-16-2011 at 05:57 AM..
Lucy Hippo is offline Female
Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
Gift Guru

karenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contest
karenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contestkarenpd could win a popularity contest

Hi here is a link that might help http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...-cache-534364/
karenpd is offline Female
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
furbyamy

We already understand how to rename things. I've taken all the classes on it and we know that if you have a file with that name already, it wont work. It will just overwrite the files that have that name already. We already have files with those names.
My father was a computer programmer, and I have a brother-in-law who also knows alot on computers too. All the messups that techs have caused over the years and all is how we learn what to do and not to do.
The guy who renamed the files is now saying he doesn't even understand our setup and is saying he renamed the files to get them to his computer is what he is saying why he did this.
We tried to tell him not to do this several times and he kept not understanding what we wanted help with. Also, starts doing other things. All I was trying to do at that moment was get help on backing all my files up. After awhile of doing certain things physically I can't do.
So, we did not want anything changed with things at all.
Just backed up.
Now all my files are gone that were there. Pictures and so many other very important things are now missing. Personal letters I got back from celebs and all over the years are all missing too.
Bill to ship to information all messed up since he went in my emails and address book, and my mom's computer too when he did the Remote Access.
Yes, we know what the html files and all the others. We created them using the software installed on our computers. The files with the html extension. Meaning a period that is before the letters html. So, like this .html
Then the stuff that is before the period and the html is the name you gave the file when you saved it. So, if this is something I'm making about one of my favorite celebrities, Jonathan Taylor Thomas. in the box that says Filename, I type jtt
So, then the full file name is jtt.html
So, in my folder that I just put it in I see jtt.html in the list of the files.

Also, since we have had a computer in the past that kept saying "Warning no operating system found" every time you turn on the computer, we already are aware of all the problems going on.
So, now it says "Warning no index.htm or index.html files"
This started happening immediately after my friend did the stuff we told him not to do. We kept trying to stop him. Told him that we did not do any of this and it works just fine without renaming them. We were just going to get someone else to help as we always do if we get a tech that doesn't know what they are talking about. Just politely thank them for their time, and end it. Which was not working well at all with my friend, and then like I said, he doesn't even know a thing about DVD's, and both computers have DVD's in them. Which is one of the many things not working anymore on both.
That's where some of the things missing come from and from software and all we have installed on the computer are all missing.
So, we do not want my friend messing with things anymore since he messed everything up.
I also know have files online like I said that are not suppose to be online. Yes, I had to cancel my creidt card because files with my credit card information and social security number and all is in the list of files he was messing with and putting online.
When we look in Windows Explorer, the status column, all the files are online.
We have heard of Geeks To Go. My brother-in-law who knows alot on computers has been to them. The last time my brother-in-law was over and had a chance to look at things, he was installing all kinds of things on both computers-Ccleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, Stuff that deals with finding Ad-aware, even have AVG since Norton stopped working right, and some other things too.
At the moment all I want to do is find the files we are missing. Don't want to wipe out the hard drive. If we do that, then we will never find them. I've already talked with people from Geeks to Go, and a few other help places, and they helped all that they could, and said the same thing that the reason my pictures are not showing up anymore is because the files don't match the names anymore. Which yes, that is because they were renamed.
But a couple of the other things my friend starts complaining about having to backup certain things too is the other thing too. So, I told him, don't do this anymore then. I'm sort of afraid 1 of the other things he mentions maybe even the causes for some things too. He said something about writing a script to strip out certain things.
So, like on the jtt.html page, I'll have a picture of him along with stuff I typed about him.
So, the picture will be like jtt.jpg
and then of course all the other pictures I put will have to all have different names. Can't all be jtt.jpg or it will all overwrite it.
Oh and he also mentions something else weird too about activating things too. Don't know why he is doing anything like that either. Everything already was activated that needed to be. Otherwise we would not have been already doing what we have been doing day after and that has nothing to do with backing things up.
But anyways, he keeps basically telling me to rename the files back and not even understading physically I can't even do all this anymore. Things I used to get around my handicaps have all been damaged/disabled with whatever it is he did. So, he for sure wasn't understanding much at all. About all he did understand was, he kept asking so you say you got some things backed up already. So, yes, we kept trying to say yes, and we did not do any of these other things he is doing.
Closed