Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
danzkinz
Webkinz :)

danzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonderdanzkinz wows us all with wonder

Default Re: Bogus download ad - safe?

View Post Originally Posted by Lolith
One of our kids clicked "something" in our old laptop - it was actually Norton anti-virus - that we had not downloaded. It locked up the whole laptop and it is dead now! (Husband is a computer engineer)

I am just wondering if WI knows about these ads or if they are being "attacked" somehow??
Anti-Virus scams are typical of viruses! Ironic really! They look like programs you have installed so you think nothing of it. Best way to get the computer back is to format the disc and install operating system again.

WI has not been under attack as they would probably use a script provided by a company who pay per click. My adverts often show ads relevant to what I have been viewing previously. I am currently looking for a new router and I get adverts for routers coming up.

At the moment there is a Private medical insurance advert so I hope its not telling me something! lol
danzkinz is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
I miss you, Red
Gift Guru

Lolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter covered
Lolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter covered

View Post Originally Posted by danzkinz
Anti-Virus scams are typical of viruses! Ironic really! They look like programs you have installed so you think nothing of it. Best way to get the computer back is to format the disc and install operating system again.

WI has not been under attack as they would probably use a script provided by a company who pay per click. My adverts often show ads relevant to what I have been viewing previously. I am currently looking for a new router and I get adverts for routers coming up.

At the moment there is a Private medical insurance advert so I hope its not telling me something! lol
LOL! Thank you for explaining...that makes sense! (I think my DH just hasn't wanted to spend the time necessary to bring our laptop back to life - he works on computers all day!)
Lolith is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

Here's another one that was at the bottom of the page just a few minutes ago:

Click the image to open in full size.

and another, a little bit later on the bottom of the page: (the times are shown in the picture)

This was at the top of the page at about 6:13 eastern time:

The above one had a corresponding ad at the bottom of the page with a picture that isn't suitable for WI. I assure you, I don't visit sites like that.

Last edited by Desty; 01-24-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Desty is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
I miss you, Red
Gift Guru

Lolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter coveredLolith is glitter covered

Thanks Desty - I don't either - I haven't seen that ad yet.

I guess the reason I got the "fake" looking facebook ad is because I use facebook.

I wonder why, all of a sudden, we are all seeing things like this!
Lolith is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Babs1978

Babs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comrade
Babs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comradeBabs is a saintly comrade

I haven't really seen any of these ads but then again I totally ignore them.
Babs is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
Peter Capaldi
Gift Guru

sarahgotchi knows the way
sarahgotchi knows the waysarahgotchi knows the way

I am on Firefox - I have seen these ads the past few days and my computer has been infected with a fake security virus called Internet Security 2012 twice within the past two days. The only sites I go to on this computer are WI, WW, and tinypic. I'm pretty sure the virus is coming from this.
God bless,
Sarah

Well - Looks like my hard drive just lost the fight. It was an extremely nasty virus, according to my dad, the computer nerd. () Hopefully someone can figure out this, because until then I will only be on WI from my iPod.

Last edited by sarahgotchi; 01-24-2012 at 07:02 PM..
sarahgotchi is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
I miss you, Red
Gift Guru

View Post Originally Posted by sarahgotchi
I am on Firefox - I have seen these ads the past few days and my computer has been infected with a fake security virus called Internet Security 2012 twice within the past two days. The only sites I go to on this computer are WI, WW, and tinypic. I'm pretty sure the virus is coming from this.
God bless,
Sarah

Well - Looks like my hard drive just lost the fight. It was an extremely nasty virus, according to my dad, the computer nerd. () Hopefully someone can figure out this, because until then I will only be on WI from my iPod.
Oh no! Sorry Sarah! I also visit facebook - that must be why the other ad that Babs isn't seeing (FF) showed up for me...(its in my 2nd attachment and is pretty much inappropriate)

Good luck w/your hard drive - that is just terrible!
Lolith is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!
Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!

I've been seeing these ads for the past few days. Its very strange.
I just learned to ignore them, but its hard to because they look so legitimate.
There's some other threads on this subject as well:
http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...nsider-730458/
http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...ust-me-730254/
And on the subject of ads MissGnomie said the following...

Originally Posted by MissGnomie
Sorry to hear you are having problems with some of the ads. I haven't personally seen any of these ads, and I do keep them on to watch for some problem ones. I'll continue to keep my eyes open for the ads mentioned. It could be the case that your flash is outdated, or the flash the ad is using is, and the ad cannot play because it is not compatible with the edition you have installed. That would be the best case scenario and I have seen it happen.

We are signed up for family friendly ads, which does not mean the lemon will not get through (be it malicious content or "adult" in it's content), but we try and weed them out by watching them ourselves and through your comments.

If you see an ad that concerns you: please make note of the date & time (please include your time zone), the location of the ad (top banner, bottom, or on the side), and the name of the company (the website address is best). That is the best way for us to take a look at the ads.

While some of these ads may not be malicious & simply a glitch in the program. It's always best to download the program/addon/browser from the official site. Better not to take any chances in that department.
Blythe is offline Female
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Gifted

Quack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicness
Quack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicnessQuack Quack is epic beyond epicness

i saw that ad too mom.
and there's also like.. ones that say "download" and crap like that.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
I'm movin' on ♥

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by Lolith
Oh no! Sorry Sarah! I also visit facebook - that must be why the other ad that Babs isn't seeing (FF) showed up for me...(its in my 2nd attachment and is pretty much inappropriate)
Yeah, that's the 'other'' ad I was talking about.. the meet Vickie ad. I don't visit Facebook ever though.
Desty is offline Female
Closed

Tags
bad ads on wi