Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
jw5346
Gifted

jw5436 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Is this allowed?

View Post Originally Posted by icecube730
I've seen this time and time again in the 'Hi I'm Joe and I <3 my Webkinz!' Section of the WI forum.

Is it OK to type up a template message, and copy and paste it? I'd say no. Read on for my reason.

If I was a new member, I might feel scared, maybe even intimidated by our large community. With just under 10,000,000 threads and a LOT of members, newbies are correct, it is a little scary. If I posted a 'Hi I'm new' kinda thing, people are ALWYAYS nice to the new members.... but lately I've seen peopel copy and paste the same thing. If I were new, I might get kinda offended.... Especially when peopel just fill your username in the blank, and in the copy-n-paste message ask to be friends. I'd feel like a fill-in-the-blank friend. It would hurt my feelings, and I was just wondering if this was allowed. I copy and paste the same list of links, but I put a different kind of welcome message on each thread.
Veeery interesting question that you asked, and some good answers to consider too. I personally leave a brief personal message. It depends how many people have already posted on that thread and what links/ advice they have given. If I were new and reading the responses I would probably kind of breeze over the long copied poems, pictures and links. I like the personal touch, no matter how brief it may be.
jw5436 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #22
petlover0416
Webkinz :)

gymnasticsgirl416 is an unknown quantity at this point

some people type alot in thier welcome message and dont want to have to type it all everytime. Its better for them type that then nothing at all. Thats just my opinion though
Old 11-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #23
Partiallygreen is an unknown quantity at this point

View Post Originally Posted by Asacardimus
I try to make my welcome message individual and never cut and paste. However, I also try to make sure that I am not repeating something someone else has already said in a previous post, 'cause I think that could annoy someone to see the same things over and over.
Right on! As a very recent new member, I was a bit put off by some of the responses I got to my intro post. It definitely seemed like some people were copying and pasting with no regard for what had already been said by others- and without making the response particularly relevant to what I said, either.

Some of the welcome messages were lovely!
Partiallygreen is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
hopee May 24 weekend
Gift Guru

Rejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clownRejewal is cool as a bunny clown

I think that as someone who used to copy and paste, I still was very sure I read each and every message the person wrote, if you are going to take the time to fully welcome a member to WI should you not at least take the time to read what they have to say? Even when I used premade messages, only the middle was premade the begining was always in response to the person, I am seeing over and over sometimes 3 pages of welcomes and the new person had an actual question and it is being overlooked.

I chuckled to myself as I noticed one welcome thread a member had been banned for two or three days and yet people were still busy welcoming said member. Wonder how that could happen?

However I do see some wonderful welcomes in the section and I applaude those who are taking the time to read and truely welcome people my hat goes off to you keep up the great work!
Rejewal is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #25
My Kids are
Gifted

lollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledgelollie flows towards the sea of knowledge

Donation Award 

Gosh, I really don't know what to say about this because Iam guilty of doing this. I never really went to the "Hi, I'm Joe.." welcome page only when I first began here. Then one day, I was reading someones post about being more Welcoming to new members. I thought, WoW, that's a great idea! So I found a cute little picture and I wrote a message in it that I thought would help the new members. I added my name, and told them if they needed any help that I would be more than happy to help them. When I noticed more and more new members threads, I figured that I would post the same thing because I truly meant every word I wrote. I do not post there for a post count. I do not post there for any other reason then to welcome a new member. If it sounds insincere because I sent the message to other new members, that was not my intention. This actually disheartens me to think that those who actually take the time to welcome people are kindof being criticized for an act of kindness. Anyways those are my thoughts on the issue. ~ lollie
lollie is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #26
I dance with my

pupso98 is a glorious beacon of lightpupso98 is a glorious beacon of lightpupso98 is a glorious beacon of light

it is allowed but I would not do that! NEVER IN MY LIFE!
pupso98 is offline Female
Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by lollie
Gosh, I really don't know what to say about this because Iam guilty of doing this. I never really went to the "Hi, I'm Joe.." welcome page only when I first began here. Then one day, I was reading someones post about being more Welcoming to new members. I thought, WoW, that's a great idea! So I found a cute little picture and I wrote a message in it that I thought would help the new members. I added my name, and told them if they needed any help that I would be more than happy to help them. When I noticed more and more new members threads, I figured that I would post the same thing because I truly meant every word I wrote. I do not post there for a post count. I do not post there for any other reason then to welcome a new member. If it sounds insincere because I sent the message to other new members, that was not my intention. This actually disheartens me to think that those who actually take the time to welcome people are kindof being criticized for an act of kindness. Anyways those are my thoughts on the issue. ~ lollie
That's really something there, lollie, your post right there made me see both sides. Now I no longer feel the way I first did.

I also agree with Rejewel, because you should ALWAYS read the 1st post, even if it is a copypaste message, because you could easily overlook a question, a conversation you could have, or a new friend
icecube730 is offline Female
Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #28
lupuny is finally
Gifted

queenofblosomes is just really nicequeenofblosomes is just really nice

Well yes, this might be good, becouse they want to do the same info. well i'm guilty of doing this though. But I ust want to be nice to everybody, and post the same info. To be honest I don't want to copy all these links over and over and over. I put about 6 links. I really mean what I mean. I doesn't even matter of that post counts.

Last edited by queenofblosomes; 11-16-2008 at 02:05 PM..
queenofblosomes is offline Female
Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
OW! I'm a
Gift Guru

Azriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to behold

Donation Award 

Think of it this way, and this is what Momwhoplays is getting at, you can buy a premade card but you should ALWAYS write a note in the card.

It's okay to cut and paste in the Hi, I'm Joe section but if you add something personal, it makes it nice. I think the cut and paste will not count towards your GT count... any mod can see that when they review your application... but they will notice that you take the time to welcome people.

I've noticed that some cut and paste don't fit what the person wrote in the thread. Like when the person was not new, just dropping by. Some people will post "welcome, visit the FAQs...". If they read the first post, they'd know that's not the proper response. It's like sending a Happy Birthday card to a Bridal Shower.

If you are going to cut and paste... read the first post.

Ah, still have not spent alot of time welcoming people. Right after I wrote here, I decided to welcome some people... I got to 1 or 2. I can't help it, I like to write alot so it gets tiring. I end up answering all their questions in detail... and still can't get myself to cut and paste. I guess I haven't found the right welcome message.

---------- Azriel added 2 Minutes and 46 Seconds later ----------

Oh, and I think when they said you can't cut and paste, they mean in the forums. Each topic is different so don't cut and paste your post just to up your post count. It's silly anyway.

Last edited by Azriel; 11-16-2008 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Azriel is offline Female
Old 11-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #30
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Azriel
Think of it this way, and this is what Momwhoplays is getting at, you can buy a premade card but you should ALWAYS write a note in the card.

It's okay to cut and paste in the Hi, I'm Joe section but if you add something personal, it makes it nice. I don't think the cut and paste will not count towards your GT count... any mod can see that when they review your application... but they will notice that you take the time to welcome people.

I've noticed that some cut and paste don't fit what the person wrote in the thread. Like when the person was not new, just dropping by. Some people will post "welcome, visit the FAQs...". If they read the first post, they'd know that's not the proper response. It's like sending a Happy Birthday card to a Bridal Shower.

If you are going to cut and paste... read the first post.

Ah, still have not spent alot of time welcoming people. Right after I wrote here, I decided to welcome some people... I got to 1 or 2. I can't help it, I like to write alot so it gets tiring. I end up answering all their questions in detail... and still can't get myself to cut and paste. I guess I haven't found the right welcome message.

---------- Azriel added 2 Minutes and 46 Seconds later ----------

Oh, and I think when they said you can't cut and paste, they mean in the forums. Each topic is different so don't cut and paste your post just to up your post count. It's silly anyway.

I have to admit I'm one of the copypasters now, but I read the 1st post, answer questions [you're right, queen, it gets tiring posting the same links 5 and 6 times inarow.], add a personal touch, compliment, maybe ask THEM a question, stuff like that
icecube730 is offline Female
Closed