Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help!

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

Default Unanswered: Is this allowed?

I've seen this time and time again in the 'Hi I'm Joe and I <3 my Webkinz!' Section of the WI forum.

Is it OK to type up a template message, and copy and paste it? I'd say no. Read on for my reason.

If I was a new member, I might feel scared, maybe even intimidated by our large community. With just under 10,000,000 threads and a LOT of members, newbies are correct, it is a little scary. If I posted a 'Hi I'm new' kinda thing, people are ALWYAYS nice to the new members.... but lately I've seen peopel copy and paste the same thing. If I were new, I might get kinda offended.... Especially when peopel just fill your username in the blank, and in the copy-n-paste message ask to be friends. I'd feel like a fill-in-the-blank friend. It would hurt my feelings, and I was just wondering if this was allowed. I copy and paste the same list of links, but I put a different kind of welcome message on each thread.
icecube730 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Banned
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence
dotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellencedotdotduck is the epitome of excellence

Default Re: Is this allowed?

Yes, I don't like when people do that either... they should think of something original to post for every new user instead of copying and pasting and then writing in your username...
Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Gift Guru

smvmonkey knows the way
smvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the way

Donation Award 

I think it's fine, I bet the people who post it don't mean any harm, they just don't want to type the same information over and over again, like how to PM, etc. Gingerly and COWS4YOU do it, I think, so I'm pretty sure it's allowed.

Last edited by smvmonkey; 11-15-2008 at 12:00 PM..
smvmonkey is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
OW! I'm a
Gift Guru

Azriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to behold

Donation Award 

You shouldn't feel bad. Think about it this way:
Do you make your own cards? I do. I hand make invites, birthday, anniversary, new baby, new house... you name it. I do it because I love to personalize the card so it's special. Now, I do not expect anyone else to do the same for me although I have to admit that it is nice to get a handmade card but if someone takes the time to go out and purchase a ready made card that thousands of other people have because it was mass produced, well, they were still thinking of me.

You are right, there are thousands of WI members. But how many of them post in the "Hi, I'm Joe" section welcoming new members? Not many. I have to admit that I want to but have the need myself to write a new message for each person... thus making it very tiring- so I don't. How sad is that? What a horrible person I am, right? I don't welcome members as often as I want to and I need to do that more but I seriously considered typing up a welcome message that is uniquely mine that I share with everyone. I wrote it so it IS heartfelt.

Each person who "bothers" to welcome new members is doing something that is special and they do it because they really want you to feel welcome. If they happen to send you a "pre-made card" don't think that they are not being sincere. It takes wonderful people to go to the "Hi, I'm Joe" section each day and welcome people... after the initial post when they register, most people end up ignoring that section...

So here's the real question:

Would you rather someone buy you a pre-made birthday card, or not get you one at all?

Just trying to put things into perspective.

Last edited by Azriel; 11-15-2008 at 12:01 PM..
Azriel is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Gift Guru

smvmonkey knows the way
smvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the waysmvmonkey knows the way

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by Azriel
Do you make your own cards? I do. I hand make invites, birthday, anniversary, new baby, new house... you name it. I do it because I love to personalize the card so it's special. Now, I do not expect anyone else to do the same for me although I have to admit that it is nice to get a handmade card but if someone takes the time to go out and purchase a ready made card that thousands of other people have because it was mass produced, well, they were still thinking of me.

You are right, there are thousands of WI members. But how many of them post in the "Hi, I'm Joe" section welcoming new members? Not many. I have to admit that I want to but have the need myself to write a new message for each person... thus making it very tiring- so I don't. How sad is that? What a horrible person I am, right? I don't welcome members as often as I want to and I need to do that more but I seriously considered typing up a welcome message that is uniquely mine that I share with everyone. I wrote it so it IS heartfelt.

Each person who "bothers" to welcome new members is doing something that is special and they do it because they really want you to feel welcome. If they happen to send you a "pre-made card" don't think that they are not being sincere. It takes wonderful people to go to the "Hi, I'm Joe" section each day and welcome people... you might find yourself after a few months ignoring that section...

Would you rather someone buy you a pre-made birthday card, or not get you one at all?

GREAT way to put it. REP POINT
smvmonkey is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
OW! I'm a
Gift Guru

Azriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to behold

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by smvmonkey
GREAT way to put it. REP POINT
See, now I feel so guilty for not going to the Welcome section everyday!
Azriel is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Azriel

Each person who "bothers" to welcome new members is doing something that is special and they do it because they really want you to feel welcome. If they happen to send you a "pre-made card" don't think that they are not being sincere. It takes wonderful people to go to the "Hi, I'm Joe" section each day and welcome people... after the initial post when they register, most people end up ignoring that section...

Wow! I see what you mean. I would rather be welcomed, or have my B-DAY thread posted on than nothing at all. REP!
icecube730 is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
wackywhoplays
Gift Guru

momwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the rep
momwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the repmomwhoplays invented the rep

I think a balance of both is a great idea. Have a pre-made message, but read the newbies post. If he or she is asking a specific question, include that in your welcome letter.
momwhoplays is offline Female
Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Gift Guru

GoldenPuppy has disabled reputation

I think it's alright. I would have to agree what Azriel had said.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Gifted

honeyluv55 is a forum hero
honeyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum herohoneyluv55 is a forum hero

Maybe Azriel has a point, but according to staff members, they said,
Quote:
Do not copy and paste responses in the, "Hi My Name Is Joe"
section.
I know I wouldn't like to be the "fill-in-the-blank" friend, but also, if you're using that to count towards your 50 posts to become a gift trainee, if you copy and paste 50 responses, it however only counts as, one post. Maybe there isn't much wrong with this, and maybe the new members don't notice, but how much effort does it take to say,
"Hi _______, welcome to wi."?
Of course your posts will be similar, because of course, you really just need to tell them to visit the FAQ and RULES, and maybe post some links, but so they can see it's not a "copy and paste" response, you could add something like,
Where did you get your avatar?
How many webkinz do you have?
I like your username It's really creative.
or something. Everyone has a point, and I respect everyone's opinion, but this is mine
honeyluv55 is offline Female
Closed