Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
Webkinz :)

beariscute is a jewel in the roughbeariscute is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Will be getting a dog in a few years...need help deciding

I have a Pomeranian. His name is Bear, (hence the name beariscute) and he is almost 6. He has four sisters :]

We got him from a breeder, also. Pomeranians in Germany, or wherever, are 30-pound dogs. But then some queen lady bred them so they are little teacup 7-pound dogs, and brought them to the United States. My breeder is trying to bring Pomeranians so they are big like they used to be. Bear is 20-pounds.

I love my dog. He is playful, but not to hyper. He is very easy to train. And, pomeranians are dogs that don't need much exercise. They need walks, but not like miles of it :]

The only thing I don't like about my dog, that is with all Pomeranians, is that he picks a favorite. He loves my mom beacuse she is home all day and takes care of him ang gives him walks. He is friendly with me and my dad, but only really loves my mom. Which is kind of aggravating xD But that wouldn't be an issue since it is your dog!

Anyways... I love Bear, and all Pomeranians. I think that a Pomeranian would be a great choice for your new dog ;)
beariscute is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
Banned
jaspyr has a reputation beyond reputejaspyr has a reputation beyond reputejaspyr has a reputation beyond reputejaspyr has a reputation beyond reputejaspyr has a reputation beyond reputejaspyr has a reputation beyond repute

I think a unique mix would be cool. Personally, I only adopt from shelters and they have some cool mixes there so why wouldn't a breeder have some?
Mixes have less health problems because they get all the good genes-- i.e. some breed is prone to hip problems while the other breed isn't. The mixed breed will get the gene from the breed that isn't.
I think mixes look cool too.

Please don't adopt from a pet shop though, those are way bad.

It's nice to look at the adult dogs. I read online that you should let the dog pick you. Just sit there and whatever puppy comes over and you guys just seem to click would probably be the one.

Another suggestion is to get a chinchilla. Haha, I dunno, I just think they're awesome. My first grade teacher had 1 and over spring, summer, and winter break my family kept him.
jaspyr is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
Call Me Sarah!

millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!

If you want a lovable, and sometimes energetic, pup then I would go with the Golden Retriever.
Click the image to open in full size.
The Golden Retriever is lovable, energetic, loyal, and ahhh-dorable! They do have longer fur, so in the summer you would to take it to the vet/groomer and get it's hair trimmed short-ish. These dogs do enjoy swimming, especially if you love to go to the lake! They are easy to train and real sweet! They do shed, so if you don't want a dog that sheds, then maybe a Golden Retriever is not the choice for you. They can get 'big'. As in they won't be a lap dog forever! They love to play, so make sure you get some toys for her!

If you are interested in this breed, here are a few books I found helpful when my family was getting a Golden Retriever-
Amazon.com: Golden Retrievers for Dummies (078555503170: Nona Kilgore Bauer: Books
Amazon.com: Golden Retrievers Complete Owner's Manual (0027011010491): Jaime Sucher: Books

You can contact me via PM or VM if you have any questions this breed, or any other breed for that matter.

I can put some more breeds on here if you wish. I know a lot about a lot of breeds.
millie12378956 is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
e are jormariffic
Pupsaresocute is a forum hero
Pupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum heroPupsaresocute is a forum hero

I like the weimeraners for the big dogs, and the westies for the little dogs (:
Pupsaresocute is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #25
Yello?

Footontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonderFootontable wows us all with wonder

congrats on getting your own puppy!
Footontable is offline Male
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
Gifted

megan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellence
megan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellencemegan100160 is the epitome of excellence

I would suggest a grey hound, but I'm not sure if you can find many of them out of shelters. {You could look around, though. I'm sure you could find a breeder somewhere. } They're supposed to be very laid-back for big dogs.
Another I would suggest are corgis! I'm sure there are many breeders who sell them. My riding instructor used to have one and she was the sweetest thing ever.
The mix idea also sounds good! That way you get a mix of looks and personality.
Sorry, I know those weren't your choices, but those are my suggestions. Which ever you choose, I'm sure you two will love each other! Congrats on your future pup!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
WebkinzLuver04

Do you have siblings?
i can find a really good dog for you, if you answer these.

Long or short hair:
Big, Medium, or small:
Will it be alone alot?:
Do you have a big backyard?:
Do you mind if they are hyper?:
Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #28
Webkinzgurl23

View Post Originally Posted by millie12378956
If you want a lovable, and sometimes energetic, pup then I would go with the Golden Retriever.
The Golden Retriever is lovable, energetic, loyal, and ahhh-dorable! They do have longer fur, so in the summer you would to take it to the vet/groomer and get it's hair trimmed short-ish. These dogs do enjoy swimming, especially if you love to go to the lake! They are easy to train and real sweet! They do shed, so if you don't want a dog that sheds, then maybe a Golden Retriever is not the choice for you. They can get 'big'. As in they won't be a lap dog forever! They love to play, so make sure you get some toys for her!

If you are interested in this breed, here are a few books I found helpful when my family was getting a Golden Retriever-
Amazon.com: Golden Retrievers for Dummies (078555503170: Nona Kilgore Bauer: Books
Amazon.com: Golden Retrievers Complete Owner's Manual (0027011010491): Jaime Sucher: Books

You can contact me via PM or VM if you have any questions this breed, or any other breed for that matter.

I can put some more breeds on here if you wish. I know a lot about a lot of breeds.
My Mom LOVES Great Danes and Goldens and I really LOVE Goldens too. About the book, I can actually get those from my library so instead of buying them, I'll just borrow them.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
Webkinzgurl23

View Post Originally Posted by WebkinzLuver04
Do you have siblings? A older brother who is 21 so no problems there(Plus he's barely home).
But I do have a baby cousin that is 1. By then she would be in 3-7 age already.

i can find a really good dog for you, if you answer these.

Long or short hair: Doesn't matter
Big, Medium, or small: Doesn't matter
Will it be alone alot?: Only when I go to work which would probably be from 9-5. Maybe earlier. Depending on how often I plan on working. Plus my mom stays home so she could bring her in during the day to play with Gracie(My current puppy)
Do you have a big backyard?: No. But the puppy will be kept in a outdoor run like this:
Click the image to open in full size.< This is a FULL-GROWN Golden Retriever. So something that size of a dog would work.
Do you mind if they are hyper?: Nope. I LOVE Hyper puppies.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #30
WebkinzLuver04

Cool Re: Will be getting a dog in a few years...need help deciding

You could get a collie, but they have alot of hair. They are really calm. There is a collie with less hair called the smooth collie
Spoiler: show

The Smooth Collie is a large dog, ranging in size from 22-24 inches (females) and 24-26 inches (males) at the shoulder; weights vary from 45 pounds (females) up to 75 pounds (males).

The Smooth Collie is generally a sociable, easily trained family dog. Although not an aggressive breed, they are alert and vocal, making them both good watchdogs if well trained and potential nuisances if allowed to bark indiscriminately. This breed is easy to train, due to its high intelligence and eagerness to please its owners. Training this breed requires a light touch, as they are sensitive to correction and shy away from harsh treatment. They get along well with children and other animals, usually getting along with other dogs.
They live 12-14 years.
They do have some health problems, which can be found on wikipedia.

Australian Sheperd

The Australian Shepherd is a medium sized breed of solid build. The standard calls for the Australian Shepherd to stand between 18-23 inches at the withers, females being 18-21 inches and males measuring 21-23 inches.Aussie colors are black, red (sometimes called liver), blue merle (marbled black and gray), and red merle (marbled red and silver or buff); each of these colors may also have copper points and/or white markings in various combinations on the face, chest, and legs
Despite its name, the breed, commonly known as an Aussie, did not originate in Australia.
The breed is an energetic dog that requires exercise and enjoys working, whether it is learning and practicing tricks, competing in dog agility, or any other physically and mentally involving activity. The Aussie is intelligent, learns quickly, and loves to play. This means that a bored, neglected, unexercised Aussie will invent its own games, activities, and jobs, which to a busy owner might appear to be hyperactivity: for example, an Aussie may go from being at rest to running at top speed for several 'laps' around the house before returning to rest. Without something to amuse them, Aussies often become destructive. Aussies also do best with plenty of human companionship: they are often called "velcro" for their strong desire to always be near their owners and for their tendency to form intense, devoted bonds with select people. Recent studies have also shown that shepherds work well with special-needs children and babies.
There are many health problems that an Australian Shepherd can acquire, including back and hip problems, vision problems, and pancreatic problems

You could get the type of dog I have, a doberman. Yes, they look scary-ish but they are very nice. If you are mean and cruel during training, they will be a mean dog. If you aren't mean, they won't. They are born with floppy ears and long tails, but they get tail docked and ears cropped.

The Doberman Pinscher should have a proud, watchful, determined, and obedient temperament. Dobermann Pinschers are among the most common of pet breeds, and the breed is well known as an intelligent, alert, and loyal companion dog. The Doberman Pinscher is a dog of medium size. the dog typically stands between 26 to 28 inches 27.5 being ideal (66 to 72 cm), the female is typically somewhere between 24 to 26 inches. The male generally weighs between 75 and 100 pounds (34 and 45 kg) and the female between 60 and 90 pounds (27 and 41 kg). Doberman Pinschers are the target of a mistaken stereotype of ferocity and aggression. It is the 5th smartest dog. They live 10-14 years.
if you want to know anything else on them, let me know!

Last, I have a golden retriever, so I'm going to suggest it.
The temperament of the Golden Retriever is a hallmark of the breed and is described in the standard as "kindly, friendly and confident". Their trusting, gentle disposition therefore makes them a poor
guard dog. They are the 4th smartest. They are hyper pups, but do lovable. They were bred to retrieve thigns from the water,

Golden Retrievers under adult age generally need less grooming care than adult dogs, but if a large amount of time is spent on grooming, a puppy will more likely tolerate adult grooming. Grooming tools include guillotine nail clippers on nail filers (particularly motored), slicker and pin brushes, and a grooming comb. Golden Retrievers do well bathing once every week or every two weeks, and they will shed minimally if brushed quickly everyday. Golden Retrievers shed moderately to heavily, shedding year round and particularly in spring and early summer.The coat is dense and water repellent, in various shades of lustrous gold, with moderate feathering. The gait should be free, smooth, powerful, and well-coordinated.
Golden Retrievers possess a friendly, eager-to-please demeanor.

Last edited by WebkinzLuver04; 06-18-2010 at 08:22 AM..
Closed