Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
here are my
Webkinz :)

Bordercollie has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Will be getting a dog in a few years...need help deciding

As a dog owner myself you need to seek further into the breed. Do your research. Be very picky on whom you get the puppy from. Also you need to decide what type of fur coat you have. Do you want long or short? Long takes time and effort and if you just let it sit the dog will get mats.

I suggest dogs like.. Labs and such for beginners as they are generally easy to train. I also suggest a Golden Retriever. Alsi don't go get a dog that won't be able to thrive were you live. Meaning don't get a dog that is bald if it snows were you live.

And like i said earlier look at the breeder. Check the history of the dogs find out if they might get any dieseases. Also you must remember that after getting your dog you have to train it, and so much more.

Also know that a dog is a companion for life but if treated wrong can become a nightmare. A good example is my lab. And when getting a dog it is best to get it fixed. Which is a long healing process for females. And also know that females tend to be a bit more moody and can be a bit more irritable. I prefer male dogs as they tend to be more relaxed and laid back for the breeds i prefer.

So remember be carful on which dog you pick becaue it isn't like buying a pair of shoes where you can just return them!
Bordercollie is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Webkinzgurl23

View Post Originally Posted by Bordercollie
As a dog owner myself you need to seek further into the breed. Do your research. Be very picky on whom you get the puppy from. Also you need to decide what type of fur coat you have. Do you want long or short? Long takes time and effort and if you just let it sit the dog will get mats.

I suggest dogs like.. Labs and such for beginners as they are generally easy to train. I also suggest a Golden Retriever. Alsi don't go get a dog that won't be able to thrive were you live. Meaning don't get a dog that is bald if it snows were you live.

And like i said earlier look at the breeder. Check the history of the dogs find out if they might get any diseases. Also you must remember that after getting your dog you have to train it, and so much more.

Also know that a dog is a companion for life but if treated wrong can become a nightmare. A good example is my lab. And when getting a dog it is best to get it fixed. Which is a long healing process for females. And also know that females tend to be a bit more moody and can be a bit more irritable. I prefer male dogs as they tend to be more relaxed and laid back for the breeds i prefer.

So remember be carful on which dog you pick becaue it isn't like buying a pair of shoes where you can just return them!
It snows here but only in winter and I would keep the dog inside anyway. The only time the dog would be "outside" was if I was at work and it needed exercise. It'd be in a HUGE exercise pen WITH a top so nothing could eat it. AND a locker Lock BECAUSE it is very easy for dogs to get stolen on our street.

Long or short coat doesn't really matter to me. The dog will surely get lots of grooming and comapionship time with her momma.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
God made u beautiful
Gifted

webbieluvr1924 is a forum hero
webbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum herowebbieluvr1924 is a forum hero

I think you should get a golden retriever. They're very laid back, but playful when you want them to be. If you raise them from puppies, they'll stay by your side forever. They're very good family pets, as long as you train them right. They require some grooming, but just a good brush and a bath every once in a while will be good.

I have one myself, he's very sweet and loving.

As for getting him from a breeder, we did that with mine as well. You aren't making the wrong decision as long as you did your research on that breeder and they have all the papers and everything. Breeders are usually different from bad puppy mills.

I hope I helped, congratulations on the pet!
webbieluvr1924 is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Banned
ImHungry is an unknown quantity at this point

My three picks are the Australian Shepherd, The Lab, or the **** Tzu. Good luck. I have experience with a lab, they are loyal, loving, carefree, and love the water! I have a black one. She is great. I also had a dog who was part **** Tzu, he was loving, playful, and sweet! Both breeds are awesome! Australian Shepherd are really pretty and I'm wanting a puppy for Christmas! I'm hoping I get a Border Collie!
ImHungry is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Fluffbunny
Gifted

fluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshine
fluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshine

I have a golden retriever, and she is great. She's very calm (except sometimes when meeting people, and she was very active as a puppy) and sweet. They're great with children and other people (so you wouldn't have to worry about her not getting along with friends/new family members).

I also love Bernese Mountain Dogs, St. Bernards, Australian Shepherds, and my ABSOLUTE favorite dog ever, Newfoundlands! They're all really sweet and tend to have somewhat laid back (except for Aussie's sometimes) personalities.

Though I do love labs (I've owned three in my life, plus have had a lot of experience with neighbor's labs), I wouldn't really reccomend one. Most of the labs I've met are extremeley hyperactive, unless they're quite old. If you would like a dog that is constantly running around and getting into things, then they would be a good dog for you. I personally like dogs that are kind of calm, but it's personal preference. I loved the labs we had with all my heart, but I like my golden's personality better.

I wouldn't reccomend little dogs either.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Webkinzgurl23

View Post Originally Posted by fluffums
I have a golden retriever, and she is great. She's very calm (except sometimes when meeting people, and she was very active as a puppy) and sweet. They're great with children and other people (so you wouldn't have to worry about her not getting along with friends/new family members).

I also love Bernese Mountain Dogs, St. Bernards, Australian Shepherds, and my ABSOLUTE favorite dog ever, Newfoundlands! They're all really sweet and tend to have somewhat laid back (except for Aussie's sometimes) personalities.

Though I do love labs (I've owned three in my life, plus have had a lot of experience with neighbor's labs), I wouldn't really reccomend one. Most of the labs I've met are extremeley hyperactive, unless they're quite old. If you would like a dog that is constantly running around and getting into things, then they would be a good dog for you. I personally like dogs that are kind of calm, but it's personal preference. I loved the labs we had with all my heart, but I like my golden's personality better.

I wouldn't reccomend little dogs either.
I heard that Labs don't actually get their fully grown "brains" until 2 years old.

I LOVE Bernese Mountain Dogs. I've wanted one since I was like 6-7. As well as a Westie.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
you're not alone

minimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guideminimaid is a golden guide

Out of the ones you posted, get the lab.(:
I have a jack russel and a great pyroneese. I don't really reccomend them. xD
minimaid is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #18

sharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wondersharky48 wows us all with wonder

What about going and looking at what they have? Why not a humane Soceity? Why a breeder?
sharky48 is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
weevie97

mantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond reputemantateelover has a reputation beyond repute

Bernese mountain dog treatment or the Labroder retriever Ternment
mantateelover is offline Female
Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
lizzie
Gifted

tacobell222 has disabled reputation

Papillon (sp?) would be my choice unless you have younger siblings. If you do I would get West Highland Terrier. (:
tacobell222 is offline Female
Closed