Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Gifted

QueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of glory
QueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of glory

Default Theater HELP

Okay, so hi everyone
I'm Briana if you didn't already know
^_^

SO I'm taking Theater this fall at school, and I'm excited for it, but I'm also a tad nervous, cause I'm a horrible actress and also, I heard they were going to do some improv too, which I'm no good at either (I took a class on Improv a year ago and got singled out on the first day of class---let's just say it didn't go so well ), so I'm looking for some tips/help on acting, improv, or just anything relating to Theater whatsoever. I have the slightest bit of stage fright as well, but that's kinda gotten better.

RECAP anyone who has tips or advice relating to Theater and acting
you will be my new best friend

thank youuuuuu
QueenVet is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Webkinz :)

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Theater HELP

I took an acting class once, and it was pretty much a disaster. lol But I did notice the kids who did well were the ones that would go out and just lose their inhibitions and have a lot of fun with it. I wasn't able to relax like that onstage, but that seems to be the trick. Just try to put yourself in a fun/goofy mood. lol
If you're with friends, I think it helps. Good luck!
Desty is offline Female
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!
onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!onesweetangel has rep to infinity and beyond!

I'm taking theater next year too. I'm not a good actress either . I would say try your best, have fun, and make some new friends!

(I know this sounds cheesy...lol sorry about that)
onesweetangel is offline Female
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
no fun allowed

dod59 is a WI addict!
dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!dod59 is a WI addict!

you just need to try your best
the whole point of taking any dramatic arts classes is to hone your skills and to learn new things that can help you get there
there will be plenty of people who will support you, and there's always a few that won't, but they're outnumbered
go ahead and make a fool out of yourself, that's half the 'fun'
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
•| ❣️ ѕoх ❣️ |•

luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness
luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness

I did band and we had to preform for our concerts and at other schools along with assessment since when we had our old teacher we never did assessment so it was all new to us. But at school there was a drama class and they had rehearsals for their plays they did etc. Even though this isn't really related to your topic keep telling yourself you'll do good/great and try not to get so nervous or anxious which I know is hard to control. But if you keep telling yourself you'll do fine then you usually will end up doing great
Good luck!(:
luvzfrogs is offline Female
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
I'm Ashlyn (:

starbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshine
starbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshinestarbucksfun is a ray of sunshine

I would just say to when it comes to do anything in that class, just try your best. If someone is going to make fun of you for you trying you best, to just ignore it. You want to get the most out of the class and trying your hardest and not holding back is going to get you there. (: I would also say make sure you can speak loudly and clearly and are up to any kinds of acts or whatever they have for you. (:
starbucksfun is offline Female
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

peachypeaches defies all odds
peachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all oddspeachypeaches defies all odds

I think you just need more confidence! Try not to be self-conscious. The people who are great performers are the ones who completely let go and are willing to make fools of themselves. No one in the room is judging you for acting silly or contorting your face or using a weird accent (those are the things that make a performance more convincing! and you won't get better unless you try it). Let go of any anxiety and forget your own life and step into someone else's for a while. You have to get inside your character's head so it feels like what you're saying and doing is a natural reaction to what someone else is saying or doing. The stage is your world so forget about the audience and the "real" world and live in the moment!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
♥YOU should smile♥
Gift Guru

b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness
b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness

i took theatre from when i was like 7 to when i was like 13. it was mostly improv though
i was not a good actor, either, but being a good actor doesn't really matter unless you're planning to be some big hotshot hollywood actress
in my class, the one thing that was stressed all the time was that in improv, you should NEVER SAY NO. imagine a scene.

Character #1: HEY i found this weird shiny rock in my backyard with some ancient inscriptions on it!! Do you want to take it to the museum and see if they know what it is?
Character #2: no.
Character #1: um... okay, so... I'll just go by myself then--
Character #2: no, you shouldn't go.
Character #1: um... okay... so, what do you want to do then?
Character #2: i dunno.
Character #1: wanna watch a movie?
Character #2: no.

so on and so forth. from the first "no," the scene goes downhill and dies a horrible death very rapidly. acting and improv is really only as good as the weakest actor in the group. SO JUST DON'T SAY NO.

Character #1: hey, dude! I found this really shiny rock in my backyard and it has ancient inscriptions on it! Wanna take it to the museum and see if they know what it is?
Character #2: no, we need to take that to my grandpa! He found a rock when he was young, and it looks exactly like that one.

in other words, if you *need* to say no, say it creatively and in a way that allows the scene to keep rolling.

also don't be the person DESPERATE to keep the scene interesting/funny. it always backfires.

Character #1: dude, look! I found this really shiny rock in my backyard with some ancient inscriptions on it! Wanna take it to the museum and see if they know what it is?
Character #2: OHMYGOD THE CHRISTMAS TREE IS ON FIRE.

don't hijack the scene because you have this "brilliant idea" for what you could do. keep rolling with the original subject.

in improv (i'm really only good for improv, sorry lol), it doesn't matter if the scene is funny or even terribly interesting. all that really matters is that it keeps going, and that the scene has a clear beginning, middle, and end.

now, you're gonna have to learn how to let go for this class LOL. think about the funniest/most interesting actors you've seen. they're not the ones who stand around and meekly mumble one-sentence lines. no, they're the ones who are jumping around on stuff and shouting and getting emotional and acting like fools.
now, i'm not saying YOU should jump on the tables and holler like a monkey, especially if the scene you're doing is more on the serious side. you do not want to be labeled as "the crazy kid" in a negative way. i'm just saying, you will not fully enjoy yourself unless you are dedicated to the scene and willing to do stuff other than stand around and stare at your shoes. trust me, in my theatre classes, those kids were ridiculed more than the kids who were jumping around and hollering like monkeys XD

also~ if you're bored and wanna see improv in action, try watching some Whose Line is it Anyway. it's an old show (from the 90s OHMYGOSH /feels even older now) but it's an example of some really quick thinking, good acting, and there's a live audience so you can physically see what they do and do not react to.

good luck~ hope my advice helped at least a teeny bit lol

Last edited by b1uski3sxox; 06-26-2013 at 06:33 PM..
b1uski3sxox is offline Male
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
SophieRecords!

SophieKinz can ride a flying orange
SophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orangeSophieKinz can ride a flying orange

okay i took theater and i was just the same as you. to be honest, i got over my stage fright even with singing after taking 20 weeks of theater.

i had NEVER been in a theater class before, but my teacher understood that everyone came from different levels of experience. honestly it ended up to be a very, very laid back and fun class. yeah it was still a lot of hard work but just remember you're in a class full of people that have to do the same thing as you. most of them are probably feeling at least a bit nervous as well.

as for improv, i remember one of the rules for improv is always say "yes" and add on something. so always add a new piece of information to the story, so your partner isn't left hanging.

overall, theater is a very fun class and i personally wouldn't go back because i find interest in other things, but i did have a lot of good memories!

Last edited by SophieKinz; 06-26-2013 at 08:34 PM..
SophieKinz is offline Female
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Gifted

QueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of glory
QueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of gloryQueenVet is on the edge of glory

Thanks for all the tips guys. c:
QueenVet is offline Female
Closed

Tags
dftba, dod59 got a tag!