Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
COWS4YOU

COWS4YOU has disabled reputation

Default Singles or Pairs, Figure Eight this December 9th Chat Thread?

When I say roller skates, what comes to mind? The shoes with wheels in-line or those old fashioned 4 ball bearing wheels per foot? I think of the latter.

Who invented roller skates? Joseph Merlin of Huy, Belgium is given credit as the inventor of roller skates.

Here is an excerpt from The History of Roller Skates:

Early 1700s - In Holland, an unknown Dutchman decided to go ice skating in the summer, ice skating was the widespread method used in the Netherlands to travel the numerous frozen canals in winter. The unknown inventor accomplished dry land skating by nailing wooden spools to strips of wood and attaching them to his shoes. 'Skeelers' was the nickname given to the new dry-land skaters.
1760 - A London instrument maker and inventor, Joseph Merlin, attended a masquerade party wearing one of his new inventions, metal-wheeled boots. Joseph desiring to make a grand entrance added to the pizzazz of rolling in while playing the violin. Lining the huge ballroom was a very expensive wall-length mirror. The fiddling skater stood no chance of stopping and crashed solidly into the mirrored wall, breaking his violin and his roller skates crashed into society.

1863 - American, James Plimpton found a way to make a very useable pair of skates. Plimpton's skates had two parallel sets of wheels, one pair under the ball of the foot and the other pair under the heel. The four wheels were made of boxwood and were mounted on rubber springs. Plimpton's design was the first dry-land skate that could maneuver in a smooth curve. This configuration is considered the birth of the modern four-wheeled roller skates, which allowed for turns and the ability to skate backwards.

1884 - The invention of pin ball-bearing wheels made rolling easier and skates lighter.

If you have never had a chance to try roller skating this way, I highly suggest it. It is very fun and people used to do competitions like ice skaters do. You can spin and do jumps on roller skates. Yes I love roller skating. Here is a link of with roller skating information:
http://www.usarollersports.org/vnews...FIGURE+SKATING

So with that, I wish everyone a great and fun and fabulous week. I wish those that are sick, to get better and I wish those with tests, great grades.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
smile2427

Default Re: Singles or Pairs, Figure Eight this December 9th Chat Thread?

First?
Hi everyonee.

---------- smile2427 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later ----------

Welll,
I gotta go.
Just wanted to be first posterr. :]
Haha, goodnight.

Last edited by smile2427; 12-09-2008 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
COWS4YOU

View Post Originally Posted by smile2427
First?
Hi everyonee.

---------- smile2427 added 0 Minutes and 31 Seconds later ----------

Welll,
I gotta go.
Just wanted to be first posterr. :]
Haha, goodnight.
Congrats and goodnight smile on first post
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
h2osu
Gifted

iamsarahsue will become famous soon enough

Oh, I almost got first!! oh well!
iamsarahsue is offline Female
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
COWS4YOU

View Post Originally Posted by iamsarahsue
Oh, I almost got first!! oh well!
congrats iamsarahsue on 2nd post
Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
icked Awesome
Webkinz :)

Melissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant future

hey everyone
Melissa30067 is offline Female
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
COWS4YOU

View Post Originally Posted by Melissa30067
hey everyone
Congrats on 3rd post Melissa, how are you tonight?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
icked Awesome

Melissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant futureMelissa30067 has a brilliant future

View Post Originally Posted by COWS4YOU
Congrats on 3rd post Melissa, how are you tonight?

oh sweet. awesome! Thanks Cows

I am doing good how are you? I cant sleep my fiance is snoring too loud lol
Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
COWS4YOU

LOL sorry to hear about the snoring. Going great for me. Do you have an asian account? rare coming up in 11 minutes, can't wait to see what it is
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
icked Awesome

View Post Originally Posted by COWS4YOU
LOL sorry to hear about the snoring. Going great for me. Do you have an asian account? rare coming up in 11 minutes, can't wait to see what it is
yes I do, I cant wait to see what it is! I am so bummed I missed the Royal Estate bed Sunday- we were at his parents and I didnt have my laptop- I could have cried! lol

Maybe Arte is feeling generous tonight Are you ready for christmas?
Closed

Tags
000000005 got 11th tag!, buggy was in da house, chubchub loves cows, cows4you, late start but not going!, littlem xd, maddie has a tag, maddie has a tag!!!, malt gots a tag, melissa30067 loves wi!, monkeecj wuz hear, mrs. e cullen was here!:), puppylove is sick., pups wants a brown cow!, saddleclub was here :), sars went to mars, smile2427 loves this., smitchellicious, smookie was here, smrtie suspension, speedoverbeethoven!!, team labrador was here!, ~~~franks!~~~