Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
cloverblossom2009
Webkinz :)

insiderfan has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Is Public School worth it? I have a question!

I am homeschooled, and I like it for the most part It's nice being able to get up when I want, go to bed as late as I want (but I usually try to go to bed before 10)
And also it is very flexible, so like if my mom goes somewhere I can go along too if I want to, just stop school and go out to lunch or something with my mom, and then come home and finish my school.
I have never been in public school though.. I probably won't ever, but i probably will go to college :3
insiderfan is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #12

iheartlucy has disabled reputation

Omg, thank you guys!
You all helped like TONS! : D
iheartlucy is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
sonja54321

labradorian is a forum hero
labradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum hero

If you do decide to go, keep in mind that you (most probably) will get homework over the weekends, breaks and (of course) schooldays.
labradorian is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Luke Bryan <3

kinzlover224 has disabled reputation

Why, another post with pro's and con's. Here we go!:

Pro's:
-Yes, you get to be social (or at least when you are allowed inside and outside of class, anyway). I go to public school and I love being social. I love talking to my friends and being with them.
-You get a taste of what it might be like to have a job later on in your life. You learn that you can't always have the perfect classmates, and you get to see what people are like.
-Getting outside more often. Moving class to class, it's good to stretch out from sitting down for a great deal of time.
-Getting active. Like the one above but it's good to get a run in at gym. The wind in your hair...*drifts off* LOL. Anyway!

Cons:
-Well....there's bullies. But. There are many ways you can stand up to them. The school can help you resolve bullying problems. Even though they can get you down, you can work things out with trusted adults/teachers.
-Not being able to eat whenever you want . The biggest problem I have about public school. My stomach growls and growls...And I know I can't just whip out a bag a chips and eat while doing a lesson. However, you do get use to it.
-Stress....Well, I bet there's some stress there in homeschool, but sometimes you procrastinate and are finishing up your homework in class 5 minutes before turning it in. So I say procrastination.

Hope I helped!
kinzlover224 is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #15

ballerina4ever is a genius through and through
ballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and throughballerina4ever is a genius through and through

My mom said she didn't learn very much in high school. And she didn't really know what to do when she went to college, because she was always in school. So, from what my mom said, I would stay homeschooled.

View Post Originally Posted by kinzlover224
Why, another post with pro's and con's. Here we go!:

Pro's:
-Yes, you get to be social (or at least when you are allowed inside and outside of class, anyway). I go to public school and I love being social. I love talking to my friends and being with them.
-You get a taste of what it might be like to have a job later on in your life. You learn that you can't always have the perfect classmates, and you get to see what people are like.
-Getting outside more often. Moving class to class, it's good to stretch out from sitting down for a great deal of time.
-Getting active. Like the one above but it's good to get a run in at gym. The wind in your hair...*drifts off* LOL. Anyway!

Cons:
-Well....there's bullies. But. There are many ways you can stand up to them. The school can help you resolve bullying problems. Even though they can get you down, you can work things out with trusted adults/teachers.
-Not being able to eat whenever you want . The biggest problem I have about public school. My stomach growls and growls...And I know I can't just whip out a bag a chips and eat while doing a lesson. However, you do get use to it.
-Stress....Well, I bet there's some stress there in homeschool, but sometimes you procrastinate and are finishing up your homework in class 5 minutes before turning it in. So I say procrastination.

Hope I helped!
Well, homeschoolers usually do school quicker and have plenty of time to go outside and walk around. I hope that didn't sound rude, but I felt like I had to say something. XD
ballerina4ever is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Go XYZ!

Queen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicness
Queen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicness

I'm a homeschool mom who thinks that homeschooling rocks!

I was not homeschooled, but I had cousins who were. I thought that it was weird to homeschool and I said I would never do it. But....when I had my first baby, I had a friend who homeschooled and she convinced me it was the way to go. I have five children now. I have homeschooled all of them with the support of my husband (who was skeptical at first). It has been an awesome experience, but not always easy.

In my eyes, there is not a perfect educational choice. There are pros and cons with each one. However, I will say that I am very biased towards homeschooling because of my experience teaching my kids at home.

Two of mine have graduated from high school & college. One is in college. The younger two are still at home with me. I do not feel that you have to be public schooled to be a success in college. I really don't think that educational method or choice alone predetermines success although it may play an important role. I know people who have been successful in life that have been public, private, and homeschooled. I also know people in all of those areas who have been failures or have struggled.

Some of the benefits (not-necessarily inclusive to home-schooling):
My children are best friends with each other (not always as they were growing up, but now).
There is a lot of flexibility in the homeschool day.
There is time to develop and follow your own personal interests.
There is more time to get with friends (and yes, my kids have loads of friends, from church & co-op).
You can work at your own pace. If you get stuck it is okay to spend more time until you understand before moving on. (In public school you have to keep up...I know, because was public schooled). You can work ahead.
There is more time to read and for spending time on Webkinz, Facebook, etc.
You can babysit or go places during the day and do your school at night.
You can stay up late and sleep in. (A big plus for this homeschool mom!)
You can skip a day of school (with mom's permission) and make-it up on Sat.
My children have learned to work hard and to do their own laundry and cooking.
My children have learned to be independent thinkers.

I can hardly think of anything negative. Probably the biggest frustration is when my kids surpass my knowledge and are stuck on a problem and I have to find someone else to help. This means that sometimes problem has to be put on hold for a while. My kids would probably say that they get frustrated when I don't have their assignments ready or when I don't hold them accountable for their work. Sometimes it is easy to think that my kids have to finish the whole curriculum, when sometimes it is okay not to. Sometimes we take too many breaks during the school year and have to do school in the summer! That is always a bummer!

When I think of all of the holes & gaps in my public school education, and I see the holes and gaps in the home education of my children...I realize that it is okay. Not everything is perfect.

I could say more, but I already feel I have written enough!

Last edited by Queen of Sheba; 01-14-2012 at 09:26 PM..
Queen of Sheba is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #17
Toph is a
Gift Guru

cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible
cocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossiblecocogirl211 challenges the impossible

In my opinion, it totally depends on where you live. I live in an affluent area where the schools are insanely well furbished and known for the academics (I think we're nationally ranked in SAT scores and college readiness...)

Things to consider --
~If you school has an open campus for lunch, it's awesome. It means that you don't have to rely on cold home-made food or on cafeteria food which is... erm... interesting .

~Different classes. I don't know if this was the case in your private school, but at my school we could switch out of classes we didn't like and re-arrange our schedules easily. We could do this because we had around 2,000 students, so we had more of each type of class (rather than 1, 2, or 3 english classes per grade, for example, we have over 11 or something... or had, it changes every year because we keep getting bigger). This means that the 'getting bad teachers' function can be avoided. But this depends on the size of your high school and how easy-going your school administrators are/will be.

~More people. Honestly, I look at high school like this: If there are more people, there will be more you like. Sure, there may be more you don't like too, but since the campus is larger it's easy to not talk to them just by not being in the same place. It's easy to bond with people you share classes with. At my school we have 7 classes in total, (which vary day-to-day if we have a 1 1/2 hour long one or a 1 hour long class) meaning you have the chance to interact with a minimum of 140 students just in the school day (when you have all 7, of course)

~If you want to pursue something that isn't the stereotypical academic, like art, video production, or journalism, you can. My parents, for example, aren't exactly artists, so if I were homeschooled and loved doing art I wouldn't have any place to go. Same with Journalism -- when you're homeschooled, you lose out on the idea of having a school paper. Sure, you can write journalism articles, but I feel like it wouldn't be the same. I mean, for journalism I have to interview random people I've never met (like police officers, teachers, local business owners, etc.) and then have my story edited by student editors. I feel like this process is hard to replicate, especially if you do journalism with a partner. And then for video production, schools have all the technology that you need -- green screens, cameras, teleprompters... most homes don't.

~School spirt weeks & school games. If you're homeschooled, you probably won't be going to any school football games. Even if football doesn't particularly interest you, going to games with friends can be somewhat like going to the movies with friends. It's fun.

~Regardless of what teachers tell you at the beginning of the year, they do not actually confer with each other to make sure there are no homework overload days. . There will be days where you come straight home and do homework.

~Tests can get curved in school -- I don't know if this is true in homeschool, or how it works. But in school, if the test average is terrible than they'll commonly curve it by a few points (but not on a grade distributional curve)

~More talk between peers about English Essays. My friends and I, when we get an essay topic, share quotes and theme ideas with each other. It makes the process much easier...

~College visitors & College festivals. When you hit your Junior or Senior year, having college reps come to your school is a huge benefit -- that way you don't always have to fly out to the school and take a tour there or look it up online. You still can, of course, but the first person experience allows you to ask obscure questions probably not on the school's FAQ

What I'd recommend --
All public schools, or at least those I know of, have days where you can "shadow" students. Ask if you can shadow a student for a couple of days, and try out school from there. See if you like the atmosphere. No promises are necessary if you shadow, so this is a great way to figure out which you liike...
cocogirl211 is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Everybodyy

webbieluver is a WI addict!
webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!webbieluver is a WI addict!

I say definitely go! Public school is very different then private or homeschooling. There are TONS of kids, which makes it both fun and a little bit intimidating. But you get to make friends with these kids, and become really close. Also, public school has tons of activities that you couldn't have done otherwise.
Sorry for the short rant x3 But i say GOOOO TO PUBLIC SCHOOLLLLL so yeah
webbieluver is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
ibboly wobbly timey

tomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clowntomboy1132 is cool as a bunny clown

If the main reason you want to go to public school is to have more friends, I would suggest finding a homeschool co-op. They are basically where you have some classes with other homeschoolers ( some only have a few, and some have about 8 classes ), it's kind of like going to a school. Except it's only once or twice a week. And if your co-op is like mine, anything after 6th grade, your in a small class. And in a homeschool co-op they will probably have field trips and stuff ( mine does anyway ).
tomboy1132 is offline Female
Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Rage&Love
Gifted

arodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a hero
arodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a heroarodfan727 was born a hero

Go to school. I go to private school and I hate it. I wish I went to public school
arodfan727 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
bedroom hymns, frenchfry130 was here, i have a dream ♥, k o o d o, love who you are♥, soa, tigerdove is here, wacky's tag, you are beautiful!