Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

iheartlucy has disabled reputation

Default Is Public School worth it? I have a question!

Ok, So!
Is going to High School worth it?
I'm homeschooled (have been for like a long time) & sometimes I really really wish I was going to public school, but not alot of people I know go to public school.
Now, since I know alot of you go to public school I figured why not ask you guys? :]

So anyways continuing with my question.. is high school worth it or should I just keep homeschooling (which I don't really want to do!) The reason I want to go to public school is so that I can have some friends and pretty much just a social life!
and I was also wondering how much homework do you get?

I'm not really sure what to ask or whatever so yeah, just tell some bads things about high school and or some very good things & stuff. :]

Also, my dad isn't really for the whole public school thing heck he doesn't even know I'm not happy homeschooling so yeah. How do I ask him if I can go? because I'm pretty sure he's gonna say no.

I also feel obligated to tell you guys that if I attend school next year, I will not be a freshman.
just thought I'd mention it because it seems to be the popular thought process here.. soo yeah. xD

Btw, just thought I mentioned it I used to go to a TINY very SMALL private school when I was younger.

Thank you,
Valerie

Last edited by iheartlucy; 01-17-2012 at 04:15 PM..
iheartlucy is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Koodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roostKoodo rules the roost

Default Re: Is Public School worth it? I have a question!

No . I hate my school. I wish I was homeschooled but that might depend on where you live.
Koodo is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
mrsCarranza

tigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joy
tigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joytigerdove is an abundance of joy

Well I go to public school, and there are both good and bad things about it. I think I can give you some advice.

The good things are that you can make friends, and in my opinion it's better than staying home. There's also fun dances and field trips. (Well my school doesn't have field trips anymore for ridiculous reasons, but other schools do).
One of the bad things that affects most people is bullies, but as long as you stay with people you can be comfortable around, you probably won't get bullied. If you ever do go to public school, just try to look for people that seem different or a bit shy. They're usually really nice once you get to know them. Sometimes popular people come up to me and randomly ask me weird questions, but if they ever do that to you, just politely answer them. That's what I do, and they eventually get bored and leave me alone. ALso, if you ever see kids getting in a fight, stay away from there. Some people think it's fun to watch the fights, but it's actually just plain ridiculous.

If anyone seems nice or friendly in your opinion, don't be shy about going up and talking to them. When I was younger, a teacher introduced me to two girls since I was bullied and had no friends. At first I was really shy and scared to meet them, but they ended up being two of the best friends I've ever had. Sometimes people who even look a little mean turn out to be really nice, you never know. Just remember to be yourself and stay away from bullies, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if you get friends for a while, that's okay. It's all right to take your time in finding good friends, but just remember not to isolate yourself. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Luv4Lollipops

I go to public school. There are lots of good things about it, but there always will be bad things.
When you're homeschooled, you have the advantage of not having to leave your house, and you don't exactly have to put up with any annoying teachers or anything. The bad thing is, you don't get to meet with your friends for schooling, neither do you get dances or the activities public school gets.

Public school has a lot of fun stuff. Like, in my school, we have a lot of activities and our teachers are awesome! We get school dances, and most of all, you get to see your friends and hang out during spares/breaks. But public highschool, you get to go to an awesome prom. : D
But there are some cons about public school;
There's always the possibility of being bullied, and there are school fights. Drama happens sometimes... But It's pretty normal.

My favorite part about public school is making friends and having fun during class. Just because it's learning, it doesn't mean you're not allowed to have fun. I also love my complimentary classes; Drama, art, foods, etc.
I wouldn't choose anything over going to public school.

If you do choose to go to public school, just remember that it's easy to make friends, and there's no reason why you can't have fun. xD
They will probably have clubs and stuff at your school that you can join, that's a good way to make friends. : D

Hope this helped. :]
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
sonja54321

labradorian is a forum hero
labradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum herolabradorian is a forum hero

School can be a great way to socialize and learn to live in a community. It gets you ready for real life. I've never really had bad experiences in my school (stress and too much homework I suppose, but I don't really count that). And I love hearing others points of view, having discussions and learning with others. I think that although homeschooling may be 'safer', education isn't found from just academics alone. It is meant to prepare you for the future where social skills are nearly as (if not as) important as academic knowledge. Of course, I am talking from a purely public schooling background and so my opinion is a bit biased.
labradorian is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Banned
FrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guide

Here's a pros and cons list about public school. (:

PROS
-You can make a lot of friends/more than friends. (;
-You can learn more from individual teachers.
-You have the chance to show the world who you are! <3
-Fun days or field trips are the best!
-Having lunch with all your friends.
-You can sign up for sports or clubs!
-Free bus rides. :3
-There's band, and choir, and other musical/theater programs.
-Many after-school activities.

CONS
-Bullies.
-Mean teachers.
-All the walking. Haha~
-Large classes can be annoying.
-Unsafe people can be around you (violence, drugs, etc)
-Peer pressure.

I think if you explain to your dad about how you want to go to public school and how you don't like being home-schooled, he might understand. Truly, the type of school you want to go to is actually your decision. It's your career in the future. (;

Good luck! <3
FrenchFry130 is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Banned
webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!
webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!webkinzfan909 is a WI addict!

I don't recommend it.
I'd LOVE to be homeschooled, but my parents want me to learn how to deal with people, which is something I hate doing.

It really depends on your personality. I'm really quiet and antisocial, and I tend to keep to myself, so public school is NOT fit for me. I'd recommend touring some schools. Where I live, you can go in and watch classes, and sometimes even join in for a day or so.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
♥YOU should smile♥
Gift Guru

b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness
b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness

Maybe I just live in a great area, but I went to public school this year after being homeschooled all my life and I LOVE IT. My teachers are really nice, the people are really nice (and I actually have a chance to interact with them five days a week), the classes are actually fun (but maybe I'm just a nerd XD), and the lunches aren't half bad! (though sometimes the milk is half-frozen )

It's definitely worth it. Think of how much it'll prepare you for college.

But if I had to write it out for you...

Pros of high-school:
-Talk to actual people XD
-Be a normal person XD
-Learn a wider variety of subjects
-Get to know a wider variety of people (from all different places, all different cultures and opinions... homeschool groups are basically made up of one type of person )
-Have something to do all day
-Get prepared for college and the real world
-Lots of kids at my school actually like Webkinz.
-Make friends
-After-school activities and clubs
-Get to pick what classes you want to take (I took a cooking class last semester, and this semester I'm taking a fashion class )
-STUDY HALL. OHMYGOSH YES. It's basically a nap time in the middle of the day.
-The teachers are actually pretty awesome. (maybe I just think they're awesome since, being homeschooled for most of my life, I know how to talk to adults better than I know how to talk to people my own age, so I like my teachers better than my fellow students )

Cons:
-Bullies (though there aren't very many at my school)
-You might end up with cruddy teachers.
-Homework... yeah...
-Sometimes the lunches are somewhat inedible.
-Have to get up early in the morning and get all fancied up and brush your teeth and whatnot...
-(this is just a big one for me since I'm a germaphobe) various colds that go around

... that's about it. I think there are more pros to going to public school than there are to being homeschooled. Just saying. And I really think that learning how to study and navigate the school will help when you get to college. Plus, you make lots of friends and you don't have to fix your own lunch and your teachers "babysit" you, not your parents, so that might be a big selling point for your dad.

Last edited by b1uski3sxox; 01-14-2012 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: ~PARA BAILAR LA BAMBA~
b1uski3sxox is offline Male
Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Call me Misty

Shootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guideShootingstar395 is a golden guide

Personally, I don't like public school.
When I first moved to Texas two years ago, my mom put me in a public school for the first time after coming from a private school and I hated it.

The kids were mean, I made zero friends, and the teachers were awful. It was also HUGE, which is another reason I didn't like it, I like small schools better. But I suppose it depends on what school you go to; I have a friend who loves public school and has lots of friends. It also depends on how social and outgoing you are. I'm quiet around people I don't know, but as I get to know them better, I become more open. So because I'm quiet, public school wasn't the best thing for me. So after that year my mom has put me back in private school, and I've been there ever since.

You'll never know until you try, so maybe you can try it next year, and if you don't like it, you can stop in the middle of the year or something and go back to home schooling.
I've always wanted to be home schooled, and this year I had to start a new private school since mine only went up to a certain grade. The private school I'm in is super small, and although I know most of the people, I'm having trouble making friends because there is only 5 girls including me in my grade (the rest are all boys : P)
but that's another story
Shootingstar395 is offline Female
Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
ould you?
Gift Guru

Amygirl8 has disabled reputation

You might want to try it. Social interaction is apparently very important to your life.
Relationship resolutions: Improving your relationships for the New Year - Chicago interpersonal relationships | Examiner.com
Amygirl8 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
bedroom hymns, frenchfry130 was here, i have a dream ♥, k o o d o, love who you are♥, soa, tigerdove is here, wacky's tag, you are beautiful!