Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

cocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talentcocotruper has lots of talent

Default Party time! Or... not.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I'm homeschooled, so yes, its true, I don't have many friends. I've been homeschooled for so long that I prefer staying inside and by myself. I'm pretty shy around new people and can feel very awkward/left out in social situations where I don't know everyone.
So. My cousin, let's call her Grace, is having a birthday party next week. She's in *no grade ranges*, and since it's kind of a major birthday, she's inviting most the girls from her school, which is around 20. Yeah, it's a really small school. Anyway. She told me she really wants me to be a part of it and she really wants me there, but like I said, I'm really shy. You could even say I have social anxiety of some sorts.
The plan is that all the girls will meet at her house and here mom is going to teach us all how to make pottery stuff, since she teaches pottery classes, then we'll just hang out and do whatever. But including Grace, I only know 3 of the girls. I used to be best friends with one of them, but about two months ago, we had a huge falling out and tensions are still running extremely high, so that would be really awkward.
Plus, since they all go to school together, they'll be talking about all their others friends, guys from school, inside jokes, all that stuff, and I'll just kinda be.. there. I don't want them to have to feel inclined to include me when they don't know how since they don't even know me. And no doubt the girl I used to be friends with has made her friends think I'm evil or something.
Grace offered to do something private with me on a different day, but I can tell she really wants me to come. We only ever hang out one-on-one, and since it's a major birthday for her, I don't want to let her down.
My parents are trying to convince me to go, since they want me to make friends, but my thinking is if I'm only going to have the chance to see them like once or twice a year, there's no point in trying to be friends with them.
So basically, should I go? I would be kinda awkward and probably left out, but I really don't want to disappoint Grace. Thoughts?
-------------
Thanks so much for telling me to go guys. I did, and I can honestly say it was one of the best nights of my life.

Last edited by cocotruper; 04-03-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

True2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicnessTrue2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicnessTrue2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicnessTrue2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicnessTrue2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicnessTrue2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicnessTrue2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicness
True2MyWord1 is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: Party time! Or... not.

I think you should be there to support your cousin. There's no need for you to talk to your ex-best friend, seeingas you already tried the friend thing.

Go have fun, and enjoy yourself, but there's no pressure to socialize!! I hope this helps

Good luck

~
True
True2MyWord1 is offline Female
Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
whee

Crocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuff
Crocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuffCrocheter4ever knows their stuff

I know how you feel, I'm homeschooled (always have been) and can feel awkward around big groups. Since no one but the host knows me, I'm always "the third wheel."

Still, if I were you, I would go. I went to a party like that one time and one of my friend's friends turned out to be really nice, and I hung out with her for most of the time.

You'll never know until you try!
Crocheter4ever is offline Female
Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
♥YOU should smile♥
Gift Guru

b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness
b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness

if it's the birthday i think it is, it would probably mean a lot to your cousin if you went. plus you get to learn how to make pottery so i mean you really can't have a bad night.

even though i'm not homeschooled any more, i have a small group of close friends at my public school so often, at their parties, they're the only ones i really know well enough to feel comfortable talking to. but, from my experience at parties, generally people i don't really know will come up and talk to me anyways because i'm a friend of someone else there. idk if high school students here are just really super friendly or what but by the end of the night i'm always talking to a lot of my peers that i didn't previously feel comfortable around and i end up talking to them when we're back in school together and we end up becoming acquaintances. *shrug* so knowing the host is generally an advantage. it might not be all bad.

Last edited by b1uski3sxox; 03-29-2014 at 04:38 PM..
b1uski3sxox is offline Male
Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

Hawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the rep
Hawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the repHawaii1 invented the rep

i think you should. one of my friends always invites her cousin (who is homeschooled) to her birthday parties. and since the girls she invites changes each year her cousin never knows anyone. but everyone is really friendly to her, and i think she always has fun and makes friends with some of them.

it sounds like it'll be fun, and with so many people it'll be easy to find someone who has a common interest. also it's a planned activity so it won't be too awkward as it might've been if everyone's just sitting around socializing.
Hawaii1 is offline Female
Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Fluffbunny
Gifted

fluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshine
fluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshinefluffums is a ray of sunshine

I think you definitely should go. And I also know how you feel and know how much you don't want to go because of how awkward you think it's going to be. It isn't since you're homeschooled- it happens to tons and tons of people. Sometimes you're just put in situations where you don't know anyone and are still expected to interact and it's super awkward. She's also inviting a ton of girls (every girl in her grade), and even if they all know each other pretty well I guarantee they aren't all best friends and some of them will be feeling like you do too, especially if their other friends didn't come. Even if it doesn't seem like it there'll be other girls who feel as weird being there as you do (probably even weirder since you're her family and have definitely been over there before and also know her parents!)

It also doesn't sound like it's a multiday or sleepover party or anything so just remember it won't really be for all that long and then you can go home. I really think you'll have fun but even if it's as bad as you're imagining it'll be, it's only going to be for a few hours and then it'll be over! You should at least try it and you'll make your cousin super happy.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

rainzz is epic beyond epicnessrainzz is epic beyond epicnessrainzz is epic beyond epicnessrainzz is epic beyond epicness
rainzz is epic beyond epicnessrainzz is epic beyond epicnessrainzz is epic beyond epicness

You should go!! When I had to take drivers ed, I had really bad anxiety due to all of those scary teenage kids. :p
I am home schooled as well so I know how you feel.
Maybe this will be good for you. I discovered that i enjoy being around other kids my age, i just had to get over that very hard hump of dread and anxiety.
And you do have your cousin there
Just try to enjoy yourself, be yourself, and don't stress and worry! Let us know how it goes c:

ps this is one of those instances were you're thinking outside of yourself and going outside of your comfort zone for your cousin. i think Grace will notice that

Last edited by rainzz; 03-30-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Old 03-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Clap Ya Hands-G1C

Atomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicness
Atomton is epic beyond epicnessAtomton is epic beyond epicness

I agree with what everyone said......I would go as well.. Like rainzz said, just be yourself, enjoy yourself. I am not home schooled, but I do feel shy on several occasions. Enjoy spending time with your cousin, and who knows you may make some friends. -Atom

Sorry if this comes out wrong.
Atomton is offline Male
Closed

Tags
bradying